SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 24, 2012, 04:31 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
I'm really leaning towards a FrSky system as a back-up or concurrent to my Spektrum.

Tis best to await the native FrSky transmitter?
That is a good question.. The current FrSky is very good, so it is certainly a good option. The new transmitter has some great specs, but it is hard to know exactly when it will be released, what it will cost, etc. So I guess I'd say go with what is available, and you can always upgrade to the new transmitter when it is available. All the receivers and sensors will still work with it.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2012, 04:33 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
6,922 Posts
Compatibility.

[QUOTE=Rotozuk;21701282]......................Not sure why you would want the D8RII for gliders. I have them in a couple of gliders and plan to replace them with the D8RII-Plus with the internal voltage sensor turned on.

Thanks for the reply Wayne.
I want all my FrSky equipped planes to have the same tx. module set up parameters so that I don't have to go home to my computer to change them each time I want to fly a different model. This is not necessary if all the rx.'s have the same divider ratios and the battery packs are all the same. However, some of mine are 4 cell packs and some 5 cell.
Of course, if I started with all D8R11-Plus there also would not be a problem. I've now got 3 planes equipped with the earlier, discontinued D8R-11 receivers. Short of throwing these out and replacing with the later ones, I would have to purchase a laptop computer to take to the flying field to change my config settings each time I choose to fly a different model! This is not a practical and workable solution I think you would agree! Also, I'm certainly not about to replace the ones in commission. They have only had a few flights each!!

Maybe if I choose to change my battery packs to one or the other (4 cell or 5 cell), I could set the adjustable external dividers (in the early rx.'s) to match the alarm settings of the internal, fixed dividers (in the later ones). Does this sound feasable? Or is this unecessary? I hope that I have missed something here, and that all this concern is not necessary. It sometimes appears to me that the development trends of this very good line of equipment is very "LiPoccentric". If you will pardon the coined expression!

I'm still not sure why I would be better off with the current model rx. over my existing ones. Can you explain please? Last I looked, HobbyKing still is selling the early D8R-11.

Jim.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old May 24, 2012, 04:45 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,763 Posts
[QUOTE=Jimbello;21703314]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
......................Not sure why you would want the D8RII for gliders. I have them in a couple of gliders and plan to replace them with the D8RII-Plus with the internal voltage sensor turned on.

Thanks for the reply Wayne.
I want all my FrSky equipped planes to have the same tx. module set up parameters so that I don't have to go home to my computer to change them each time I want to fly a different model. This is not necessary if all the rx.'s have the same divider ratios and the battery packs are all the same. However, some of mine are 4 cell packs and some 5 cell.
Of course, if I started with all D8R11-Plus there also would not be a problem. I've now got 3 planes equipped with the earlier, discontinued D8R-11 receivers. Short of throwing these out and replacing with the later ones, I would have to purchase a laptop computer to take to the flying field to change my config settings each time I choose to fly a different model! This is not a practical and workable solution I think you would agree! Also, I'm certainly not about to replace the ones in commission. They have only had a few flights each!!

Maybe if I choose to change my battery packs to one or the other (4 cell or 5 cell), I could set the adjustable external dividers (in the early rx.'s) to match the alarm settings of the internal, fixed dividers (in the later ones). Does this sound feasable? Or is this unecessary? I hope that I have missed something here, and that all this concern is not necessary. It sometimes appears to me that the development trends of this very good line of equipment is very "LiPoccentric". If you will pardon the coined expression!

I'm still not sure why I would be better off with the current model rx. over my existing ones. Can you explain please? Last I looked, HobbyKing still is selling the early D8R-11.

Jim.

Jim.
Thought that might be what you were doing..

The Plus can act just like the D8RII, or it can also act like the earlier D8FR. Just change the jumper. You can keep your existing receivers and use the Plus setup for the external A1 and plug in your multiplier.

I also fly gliders with 4.8 and 6 volt packs. I set my alarm for a moderate low voltage on the 4.8 pack. I'm not that worried about draining a 6 volt pack that low, just have to land quicker if I ever hit the alarm. I have yet to fly into a battery alarm, I usually swap planes before the battery gets that low.

We can all be a little lazy keeping our batteries charged, so it is nice to have the added benefit of knowing what the battery voltage is. I fly with an LCD screen and occasionally check voltage on my smaller gliders that run very minimal battery.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old May 24, 2012, 04:52 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
6,922 Posts
[QUOTE=Rotozuk;21703429]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post

The Plus can act just like the D8RII, or it can also act like the earlier D8FR. Just change the jumper. You can keep your existing receivers and use the Plus setup for the external A1 and plug in your multiplier.

......................-Wayne
That's good reassurance Wayne! Thanks again.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old May 24, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Oct 2004
4 Posts
FBVS-01 Battery Voltage Sensor Problem

Hello,

I would like to let you know about a problem I had with one new FBVS-01 Battery Voltage Sensor unit. Despite being in its factory default 3S 6:1 divisor configuration, the unit's "voltage in" equaled "voltage out". My error was not to check the output voltage before hooking the sensor up to my receiver. As a result, I rendered the AD section of the receiver inoperative, with spurious values displayed on A1 and A2 when later used with a "known good" FBVS-01. In future, I think I'll get the VOM out of the drawer before I start plugging things in.

Cheers,

John
Vark is offline Find More Posts by Vark
Old May 24, 2012, 11:05 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
It's hard to believe you damaged the AD input, being protected to resist to more than 30V applied directly.
I can't imagine how the voltage sensor could be defective other than an interrupted ground connection or ground resistor of the divisor, but this kind of failure don't led to AD damage.
Spurious values when no divisor connected are normal, it's a floating AD input that collects noise.
I would rather suspect you didn't set ratio correctly in display, can you check ?
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old May 24, 2012, 11:22 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest12 View Post
How can they sell a product that is known to be faulty?
Not sure yet if faulty, I think rather is a misunderstanding of how RSSI is intended to work.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:53 AM
DS state of origin NSW Vs QLD
Joined Jul 2009
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Not sure yet if faulty, I think rather is a misunderstanding of how RSSI is intended to work.
I've done the V8R7-SP diode mod and that works perfect, a usable RSSI . Fantastic.
I don't know what they are saying this RSSI does?
Nothing
Pete
Forrest12 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest12
Old May 27, 2012, 07:38 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
Added a very detailed Futaba T6EX conversion in the links list.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1658756
Old May 27, 2012, 06:35 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,073 Posts
Just opened up my 2 way module to change the aerial lead so I can move the aerial to the top of the transmitter and I only noticed when refitting new lead there are two mcx sockets, which one is used and why two?
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old May 27, 2012, 10:40 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
Because the RF part is common to Tx and Rx.
Beware to not mismatch when refitting, Tx use only one and don't switch them !
Old May 28, 2012, 05:14 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,073 Posts
so which is the correct socket I am not certain now which one I took it off as I only noticed there was two afterwards !
Old May 28, 2012, 10:12 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
Lol... see see picture page 60, post 895
Old May 28, 2012, 11:58 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,073 Posts
Thanks, I am heading out flying this eve and was starting to panic !
Old May 28, 2012, 03:59 PM
Red Lake Falls, MN
Joined Aug 2004
157 Posts
I've bought five of these receivers in the last few months. One was bad on arrival. One died in mid air. Am I just unlucky or is there a problem with reliability?
rlfgary is offline Find More Posts by rlfgary