HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:19 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
What does this mean ? You won't stock them and Aussies will buy from FrSky directly or something else ?
Re-worded for clarification

Combined with our new lower pricing by marketing the products direct nationwide (FrSKY suggested we market the products this way and I agree especially for our market size), this should be a serious consideration for any Aussie flyers wanting to convert to 2.4G.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:12 PM
Eden Prairie, MN
Joined May 2008
333 Posts
I have the V8FT module from Himodel. I just got it last Friday. I don't think it has the telemetry yet. I believe the telemetry units will be labeled differently and also have different receivers. Maybe Chase can confirm this.
Curtis
Beau0090_99 is offline Find More Posts by Beau0090_99
Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:56 PM
Joined Apr 2007
161 Posts
Yes they will be different modules with different model numbers but as per Chases e-mail earlier they will now be backwards compatible with the existing kit which is worth the delay in my books.

Telemetry versions will have extra ports for connecting sensors to etc.
kneedrag is offline Find More Posts by kneedrag
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:36 AM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrag View Post
Yes they will be different modules with different model numbers but as per Chases e-mail earlier they will now be backwards compatible with the existing kit which is worth the delay in my books.

Telemetry versions will have extra ports for connecting sensors to etc.
Do we know if the cross compatability is with all kit? For example will:
  1. telemetry Tx work with non-telemetry Rx's,
  2. will non-telemetry Tx work with telemetry Rx's?
Number 1 is essential so that you can use whatever receivers you can get (ie use the cheaper non-telemetry Rx's when you don't want telemetry, or upgrade to a telemetry Tx later).

Number 2 will be good if you already have a non-telemetry system, you can choose to start buying telemetry Rx's so you can upgrade in the future.

I would hope (think) so - FrSky would be good to confirm this please.

The other thing I would council FrSky is be very clear with their labelling of revisions and function on the casing - this is where Assan have made a big mistake. At some point they switched form single to dual frequency, but non of the labelling on their kit says what version it is, so you don't know what youve got.
Lead Wings is offline Find More Posts by Lead Wings
Old Mar 24, 2010, 02:36 PM
Joined Apr 2007
161 Posts
From my understanding that is what the backwards compatibility will involve.

In addition to that the newer 2-way systems will have the ability for the user to updated the firmware themselves. I would hope that all there new systems will have that functionality but we will see. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Wings View Post
kneedrag is offline Find More Posts by kneedrag
Old Mar 24, 2010, 04:25 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Apr 2005
563 Posts
what is the weight of the FrSky 8 channel reciever?
VinceHaworth is offline Find More Posts by VinceHaworth
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:33 PM
Joined Mar 2009
297 Posts
Quote:
Number 1 is essential so that you can use whatever receivers you can get (ie use the cheaper non-telemetry Rx's when you don't want telemetry, or upgrade to a telemetry Tx later).

Number 2 will be good if you already have a non-telemetry system, you can choose to start buying telemetry Rx's so you can upgrade in the future.

I would hope (think) so - FrSky would be good to confirm this please.

The other thing I would council FrSky is be very clear with their labelling of revisions and function on the casing - this is where Assan have made a big mistake. At some point they switched form single to dual frequency, but non of the labelling on their kit says what version it is, so you don't know what youve got.
The telmetry Tx work with Non-telmetry Rxs.
For some reason, the telmetry Rx does not work with the non-telmetry Tx.
So, the old receiver can work with the telmetry Txs.
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:03 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I agree completely. The other Chinese brands have done a very poor job of the product labeling in the past, and FrSky could do well here if they take note.
I'd like to see the firmware version and the release version on the devices. e.g. FrSky V8FR - Series II - Fw:2.3b

I note that Spektrum is very good at labeling the FW versions on their modules, even though they are only factory reprogrammable.

Martin
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:07 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Of course it will be easy to tell the difference between units with and without telemetry since they will be physically different with an extra plug/socket on both the Rx and Tx for the serial telemetry data (into Rx and out of Tx module).

Even so, I agree that major revision information should be on the product label.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:04 PM
Wuxi, China
Joined Nov 2009
16 Posts
Weight of Rx

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceHaworth View Post
what is the weight of the FrSky 8 channel reciever?
Thanks for your question and attention. The weight of V8FR is about 13.8g. And FrSky will release a new Rx of 7 channel with about weight of 7g at the end of this March.
jonathan-FrSky is offline Find More Posts by jonathan-FrSky
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:38 PM
Wuxi, China
Joined Nov 2009
16 Posts
Hi Lead Wings, Thanks for your question and attention. In fact, 2.4GHz V8 series is first generation of our products which does not possess the function of "FIRMWARE UPDATE". However later generations' products will all possess this function, such as 2.4GHz Two Way Communication System, which is labeled by initial letter "D". And we have designed a switch on 2.4GHz Two Way Tx module, which could be easy to convert between the two modes of receiving V8 Rx and receiving Two Way Rx.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:51 PM
Maryland
Joined Jun 2003
157 Posts
Will the 7Ch rx have a better range than the 4 ch?
loganz28 is offline Find More Posts by loganz28
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:58 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan-FrSky View Post
Hi Lead Wings, Thanks for your question and attention. In fact, 2.4GHz V8 series is first generation of our products which does not possess the function of "FIRMWARE UPDATE". However later generations' products will all possess this function, such as 2.4GHz Two Way Communication System, which is labeled by initial letter "D". And we have designed a switch on 2.4GHz Two Way Tx module, which could be easy to convert between the two modes of receiving V8 Rx and receiving Two Way Rx.
Hello Jonathan, nice to have new person on-line from FrSky.

New technical question (it's my forte )
The trial pre-production Two-Way units we tested out recently, had a shorter total distance range stated than the V8 series units.
Is it now the case that the production versions of the Two-Way system will now be 'full range' when used in 'V8 RX compatibility mode' ?

It would see to me logically that it would be true, if they use the same transmission scheme as V8 series, and same TX module chipset, that the range distance would now be the same. Are my thoughts right about that ?
Regards, Martin
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:00 AM
Wuxi, China
Joined Nov 2009
16 Posts
Range of 7Ch rx

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganz28 View Post
Will the 7Ch rx have a better range than the 4 ch?
Thanks for your question and attention. 7Ch rx will have full range as same as 8Ch rx, which is above twice of 4Ch rx's range.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:34 AM
Wuxi, China
Joined Nov 2009
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post
Hello Jonathan, nice to have new person on-line from FrSky.

New technical question (it's my forte )
The trial pre-production Two-Way units we tested out recently, had a shorter total distance range stated than the V8 series units.
Is it now the case that the production versions of the Two-Way system will now be 'full range' when used in 'V8 RX compatibility mode' ?

It would see to me logically that it would be true, if they use the same transmission scheme as V8 series, and same TX module chipset, that the range distance would now be the same. Are my thoughts right about that ?
Regards, Martin
Hi Martin, yes, you are absolutely right.