SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:38 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
uphiearl issued a similar request today in the other thread.
Do you guys think would be a good ideea to start spawning unofficial versions of firmware here and there?
Even in open source world, the versions are under a certain control
Oh yes!
That's the neat thing about OS. Anyone can do anything. You don't HAVE to use the unofficial version but you CAN.

It's called "free software" not because it doesn't cost anything but rather because you have the freedom to choose.

Why do you think multiple versions are a bad idea?
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:47 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,963 Posts
I order to change the downlink I think you would have to modify both the tx and rx firmware.
Do we really want to risk changes to (for example) the hopping sequences that could affect other users of the band?

Could it be that the downlink is already pretty close to capacity, so not much to be gained anyway?

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:26 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2005
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Wu View Post
Dear George and all,
We presume new ROM to provide PPM on D8R would be available the end of November or early December. Let's look forward to it.

Thank you all for your attention!
Eva
I very much look forward to it!
I'm counting down the days
nick.sargeant is offline Find More Posts by nick.sargeant
Old Oct 22, 2010, 04:32 PM
Joined Jul 2010
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitpilot View Post
Hello!!!
May I ask where did you buy the Upgrade Lite???
yes I bought it himodel.
Dear JollyJoker, I m not complaining system or range.I accept everything works fine from the beginning..unfortunately I could not have second RX from the beginning.Why?first introducing the V2 is very early...I can order it from HK not a market on the beginning of the street..and adding all these problems fighting with upgrading is very hard...I have two plane I need two RX..but I could not..now upgrade lite is not working and again I have only one RX again..this is my problem and I m tired of these fighting...
yurdakut is offline Find More Posts by yurdakut
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:30 PM
United States, CO, Pueblo
Joined Jan 2002
131 Posts
Rom A or Rom B - that is the question

I just received my V2 Telemetry Futaba COMBO from HK. With a home-brew adapter board it fits my Airtronics Stylus perfectly.

I was able to bind the V2 D8R successfully. Range test to come. Also ordered and was able to bind V8R4 (once I found earlier tip to set xmitter to V8 mode with switch 2).

Now my question is:
What version of ROM do I have? How do I determine this?
What are the advantages of upgrading?

Frsky newbie...
Skip
eariii is offline Find More Posts by eariii
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:00 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eariii View Post
Now my question is:
What version of ROM do I have? How do I determine this?
What are the advantages of upgrading?

Frsky newbie...
Skip
You can determine the version by pressing the bind button on the receiver to set the failsafes. If it is ROMA then the tx module will beep to indicate that the failsafes were set. ROMB failsafes are set from the tx module, (Telemetry versions only, non telemetry uses the receiver bind button)

As far as advantages, I think one is that V2 works better with non telemetry receivers. Not sure what benefit there is for the telemetry ones, but any new ones you buy will probably be V2, so you will have to upgrade at some point.

edit - ROMA and ROMB are not "upgrades", just different in how fail safes are set.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:53 AM
USA, KS, Lawrence
Joined Oct 2008
54 Posts
Solved: Frsky hack module in a Tracker 3 from Polk hobbies

Solved!!!! Regarding the power problem with a Frsky VH8T hack module in a Polk Hobbies Tracker III Transmitter.
If interested, see posts 1777-1793 on pages 119-120, and Posts 1887 and 1925

Quote:
The PROBLEM is: (from post 1777)

Only servos plugged into only even numbered channels in the receiver work, channels 2,4,6,8. And, with the Tx set to "Standard receiver", (the Tracker 3 will transmit to "standard" = Futaba, JR, and Airtronics) the order is: aileron, elevator, throttle, rudder. The others don't work. Tried it with the battery in number 8 and number one. Unquote.

and

from Post 1887, page 126

I'm getting a lot closer to making this thing work

and especially Post 1925 on page 129
Quote:
The really weird (and great) thing is, when I put the probes on to test the voltage from PPM OUT to Ground, all the servo chattering stops, AND, the receiver works PERFECTLY, on the channels it is supposed to work on. Take the probes off and its right back to chattering. Unquote

Thanks to many, but especially JMP_Blackfoot, we found that soldering a resistor between PPM Out and Ground helped, but the range wasn't sufficient. Adding a capacitor in the same spot helped. But then removing the resistor and just leaving the capacitor helped the most. Flew yesterday for the first time 2.4. Wonderful.

Please feel free to PM me for help with this issue with Tracker III

See also http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235628

And thanks again JMP!!!
Kansas is offline Find More Posts by Kansas
Old Oct 23, 2010, 01:40 PM
Joined Jul 2010
206 Posts
dear friends,
at the end the happy end.I have working two D8R RX'es now.
I have updated my D8R RX in my office desktop PC.I dont know what is wrong but today I have updated the RX.I think important points are RS232 port connection, XP and jumper conntection on 7 th and 8 th channels on RX.on the other hand nothing happened to upgrade lite by readjusting right sides.maybe this is a good new for everyone.thanks for everyone including Miss EVA from FrSky..
yurdakut is offline Find More Posts by yurdakut
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:08 AM
Norway
Joined Oct 2010
18 Posts
I heard some rumours that the beta version of FrSky didn't work in cold weather (-1C/30F).

My FrSky module and telemetry receiver seems to work fine in -19C/-2.2F, although I was unable to fully test the range (I have a small freezer...). I've been out flying in -2C/28.4F a few times, and never noticed any problems.

The winters up north (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia etc.) are quite brutal, so it's nice to see that the equipment can withstand the low temperatures. The freezing point is a scary limit
maaaarius is offline Find More Posts by maaaarius
Last edited by maaaarius; Oct 24, 2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:14 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maaaarius View Post
I heard some rumours that the beta version of FrSky didn't work in cold weather (-1C/30F).

My FrSky module and telemetry receiver seems to work fine in -19C/-2.2F, although I was unable to fully test the range (I have a small freezer...). I've been out flying in -2C/28.4F a few times, and never noticed any problems.
I think that one would have been caused by a bad solder joint somewhere opening up when cold. This Lead Free solder stuff is much harder to get right in production than the old solder...

Hopefully FrSky will spend some time getting continuous quality improvement embedded in their business structure, and become the best producer out there.
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:44 AM
New York
Joined Nov 2003
509 Posts
Is the Tx connector interface to the DFT telemetry module documented anywhere (pin assignments, ppm format, voltage levels)? I'm working on a custom transmitter, I am searching but there is alot of info to sift through.

Thanks,
George
MGeo is offline Find More Posts by MGeo
Old Oct 24, 2010, 09:01 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGeo View Post
Is the Tx connector interface to the DFT telemetry module documented anywhere (pin assignments, ppm format, voltage levels)? I'm working on a custom transmitter, I am searching but there is alot of info to sift through.

Thanks,
George
See here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3336412

Voltage levels are 0 to 3.3V maximum allowed.
If the module is shipped in August or newer, then a diode should be there to limit input voltage bigger than 3.3V.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:25 AM
New York
Joined Nov 2003
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
See here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3336412

Voltage levels are 0 to 3.3V maximum allowed.
If the module is shipped in August or newer, then a diode should be there to limit input voltage bigger than 3.3V.
Thanks again Renatoa. Are the other 2 pins of the 5 pin connector unused?

From this post (http://www.giantcod.co.uk/forum/view...&sd=a&start=50) and your post, it looks that that pin 1 is PPM, pin 2 is V+ (3.3v) , and pins 3, 4 are Gnd, an pin 5 is open.

George
MGeo is offline Find More Posts by MGeo
Last edited by MGeo; Oct 24, 2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:47 AM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,280 Posts
Subscribe

Subscribe
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:37 AM
Sao Paulo, Brasil
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
On full-JR 27..72MHz compatible modules the two additional connections are for 72MHz aerial (no use here) and RF power. On Futaba they are for RF indicator (to show on TX when module is transmitting) and antenna.

In both cases the additional pins are useless for 2.4GHz modules.
alexcmag is offline Find More Posts by alexcmag