HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:34 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,430 Posts
How is the range? I know you tested some brands and got interesting figures.

Now, about your question... imagine you being Mr.Chase, what would you reply ?
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:04 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
well One can only ask

My range inside throw walls of concrete, it shows better then Futaba fasst..

I will do a big test soon in Swedish forums,

7 different 2.4ghz systems, I will let you know within a few weeks
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:44 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Yeah sorry guys I was looking at the actual aerial when we were discussing SMA/hitec. If the Hitec aerial is the SMA part of the equation then should work fine no?
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Mar 17, 2010, 07:05 PM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Still not get what's wrong with this case and what is it missing to be Futaba enough ?
Has it the right pinout? Does it plug in any Futaba radio ?
I think the idea is to have the aerial mounted parallel to the case back instead of at right angles, so you can lay it down without risking damage to the aerial or module, as you can already do with the JR unit. It would mean that if you put in a Hitec TX, the aerial would point straight down though.
BrumBob is offline Find More Posts by BrumBob
Old Mar 17, 2010, 08:47 PM
Joined Mar 2009
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrumBob View Post
I've sat quiet and bided my time, but now I'm at home with the transmitter module in front of me, I'll confirm it is definitely RP-SMA, not SMA. The socket (externally threaded bit the aerial screws on to) on the module has a pin, and the RP-SMA right angle adapter is definitely the right polarity fitting for it.

Someone on the UK forums reckons that a dedicated Futaba module (styled like the JR) will be available in May. Any comment Chase? Is there any chance that module cases would be made available to upgrade old style units?
hi Brum,
We are designing new version of the case, and antenna and or so, we'd loved to see any suggestion and comments.
Thank you.
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu
Old Mar 17, 2010, 08:51 PM
Joined Mar 2009
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Hello, i have recieved JR module FrSKy and 3 receivers 8 channel, system shows very good test data so far.

Can I ask the owner of FrsSky, for how long are you planning to make this stuff ? Because many companies produce one version then the next year, its a new version none compatible to the one you have got.. thats bad.

Are you planning to produce these system for a long time ?
hi Sebbe,
We will continue this system till..... end of the world, .
The two-way system is delayed, since we are doing back compatibility to V8 receivers.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 02:37 AM
USA, WA, Kennewick
Joined Nov 2005
502 Posts
Is this module compatible with the Futaba 9Z Tx?
I know the corona 2.4 system has issues with it due to it's odd ppm signal.
sscherin is offline Find More Posts by sscherin
Old Mar 18, 2010, 02:52 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrumBob View Post
I think the idea is to have the aerial mounted parallel to the case back instead of at right angles, so you can lay it down without risking damage to the aerial or module, as you can already do with the JR unit. It would mean that if you put in a Hitec TX, the aerial would point straight down though.
The solution is the same as I proposed for the Hitec module in Aurora thread: get a $10 XPS spare case for Futaba, and move the board in that module.
Last edited by renatoa; Mar 18, 2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:19 AM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
517 Posts
In the UK some club and fly-in organisers can be a bit picky about any changes to RF modules or cabling, with luck an FrSky module in an XPS case would give one of them a heart attack.
That's why here we would appreciate a unit like that, but supplied by the manufacturer and with all the appropriate stickers to keep the fun police happy.

Actually, for Chase - a design like the XPS case in Renatoa's link, but with aerial mount holes in both sides of the bit that protrudes would enable it to be configured for either Futaba or Hitec by moving the aerial socket to the appropriate side and putting a blanking plug in the unused hole.

ps Extreme - I think that both the aerial and it's mating socket are referred to as RP-SMA, the RP bit indicates that the protruding pin is in the extarnally threaded socket. SMA would have the pin in the aerial (internally threaded) side and a hollow receiver in the transmitter side. I found this out looking at flyleads on e-bay,, it's easy to order the wrong ones.

Bob
Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:37 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,430 Posts
It's possible to move that fall in Scotland for 6 months... I start to be scared about you so picky, guys...
What about the Hitec hack officially recommended by Hitec reps here to mod the MPX Evos into 2.4Ghz ?! It implies uncasing a retail Hitec module, cut wires inside EVO, soldering...
What about the brave heart, pun intended , who fits themselves Assan, Jeti, etc. boards inside their not modular radios? Are they banned from RC for life ?!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 06:10 AM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
It's possible to move that fall in Scotland for 6 months... I start to be scared about you so picky, guys...
What about the Hitec hack officially recommended by Hitec reps here to mod the MPX Evos into 2.4Ghz ?! It implies uncasing a retail Hitec module, cut wires inside EVO, soldering...
What about the brave heart, pun intended , who fits themselves Assan, Jeti, etc. boards inside their not modular radios? Are they banned from RC for life ?!
I think that hack would not be allowed if you wanted to enter any meeting or competition organised or sanctioned by the BMFA (our national representative body and insurance organiser). Some local clubs also take any statement from the BMFA as being Law. One example was routing 2.4 ghz module aerial flyleads through the transmitter case. The BMFA were quite happy with a length of cable flapping around waiting to get snagged on something, but not with owners routing the cable into the case where it would be protected. The internal routing wouldn't be covered by the type approval certificate, so could possibly cause Rognarok and the end of the world.

Even commercial equipment that has not been bought from the 'authorised' importer comes under intense scrutiniy (such as JR transmitters not bought through Macgregor) and the Certificate Of Conformity is a holy document.

Luckily I belong to a club where common sense prevails.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:22 AM
Eden Prairie, MN
Joined May 2008
333 Posts
I would propose, that instead of having two holes in the "piggyback" case, instead make that little case a seperate piece so that you can unscrew it from the main base, and simply rotate the piggyback case 180 degrees and screw it back together. If the case had two holes, you would have to unscrew the SMA socket from within the main case and thread the coax through the original hole and back into the proper hole. Either way, I would suggest FrSky supply these as an aftermarket for those of us that bought the first version (being shipped to me right now).

Either way, Chase, thank you for listening to the modelers here who appreciate your sincere effort to put out a great product. As the name of the thread says, "so far so good". Keep up the good work.
Curtis
Beau0090_99 is offline Find More Posts by Beau0090_99
Old Mar 18, 2010, 03:12 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Wu View Post
hi Sebbe,
We will continue this system till..... end of the world, .
The two-way system is delayed, since we are doing back compatibility to V8 receivers.
Nice to hear , I just hope you will strugle to always keep your system backcompatible no matter what receiver or module we have in the future..

I think your system works very nice, dont change things for fun, because it works really good now..

I did fly it for first time today in a 185Mph Pylon today, no problems
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Mar 19, 2010, 05:21 AM
Joined Jun 2007
128 Posts
Chase,

How long until the DIY/Hack module is released for sale?
fish61 is offline Find More Posts by fish61
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:01 AM
Joined Mar 2009
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish61 View Post
Chase,

How long until the DIY/Hack module is released for sale?
fish, the DIY module would be available before end of March.