HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2010, 09:35 AM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
I ordered the USB and voltage sensor extra.

The box only comes with the Tx, Rx and a serial port to Tx connector.
Where did you buy yours???!!!
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:08 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
For those of us without knowledge of things electrical and if I understand it correctly the V1 DFT/DJT/DHT modules and DR8 rx can be upgraded using the FrSky upgrade lite part and the USB cable and the upgrade download and directions on the FrSky site.

After reading the upgrade to V2 directions on the FrSky site I came to this statement: "As firmware upgrade requires case’s removal of D8R receiver, FrSky will not support warrantee replacement if damage occurs".

Am I correct?

Mike

Good morning Julio!
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:19 AM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
For those of us without knowledge of things electrical and if I understand it correctly the V1 DFT/DJT/DHT modules and DR8 rx can be upgraded using the FrSky upgrade lite part and the USB cable and the upgrade download and directions on the FrSky site.

After reading the upgrade to V2 directions on the FrSky site I came to this statement: "As firmware upgrade requires case’s removal of D8R receiver, FrSky will not support warranty replacement if damage occurs".

Am I correct?

Mike

Good morning Julio!

Um-mm You Got a point here "warranty replacement"

And BTW I have not seen those cables and connectors at HK???!!!!
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:24 AM
Joined Jul 2010
206 Posts
Quote:

After reading the upgrade to V2 directions on the FrSky site I came to this statement: "As firmware upgrade requires case’s removal of D8R receiver, FrSky will not support warrantee replacement if damage occurs".

Am I correct?

Mike

Good morning Julio!
so if I wanna update my system I have to buy both of these pieces above?Packet gave me only female RS232 port there is no upgrade lite and USB cable and I m trying to find male adapter for applying to my PC female RS232 port otherwise I must buy USB cable am I right? correct?because if you upgrade firmware you have to upgrade both module and rx.but for rom upgrading we wont do anything to rx.and as much as I understood from manual and website if everything works well dont touch nothing....is there any problem with Windows 7 and update/upgrade programs?
yurdakut is offline Find More Posts by yurdakut
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:47 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,216 Posts
The upgrade lite can be plugged into the RS232 COM cable too, not only USB.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:56 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
If I buy the following package from Hobby King http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w/_Module_&_RX which includes a disc and serial cable will I still need the FrSky upgrade lite part to upgrade to V2 so that I can use any subsequent released RX's?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2010, 11:07 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,216 Posts
Yes you need it, the cable is for module, the lite is for receiver, together with either COM or USB cable.
It's a voltage level shifter, to ensure the change from RS232 levels used by the module, to TTL levels used by receiver.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 02, 2010, 11:22 AM
RC Soarer & wheel re-inventer
Spain, CN, Tacoronte
Joined Jul 2003
400 Posts
My "usual" sources for Frsky are Hobbyking.com and Himodel.com , none of them have still the FrSky upgrade lite module (has just been released by Frsky) , may be that in some days/weeks they will have it and then you will be able to upgrade allso the two way receiver.

Untill then I recomend NOT to upgrade your V1 two way transmitter module because if you are not able to update your two way receiver allso ( you dont have hardware to do it) the two way system will not work (V1 two way Rx and V2 two wayTx are incompatible).

Only exception is if you are a "hardware hacker" fan and do your own cable to update the two way receiver like in the "other" Frsky thread here in rcgroups http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...200443&page=27
debianhot is offline Find More Posts by debianhot
Last edited by debianhot; Oct 02, 2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: correction for clearnes
Old Oct 02, 2010, 11:35 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Renatoa-- Thank you very much. I'm learning as I go.

I'll order the current V1 telemetry system from the HK link I posted and order a second telemetry receiver as well. I shouldn't order any non-telemetry V1 receivers if my intention is to upgrade my transmitter/module to V2 in the near future though. Is that correct?

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2010, 11:53 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,963 Posts
No. V2 tx module will work fine with all non-telemetry receivers.
In fact it will be a bit better, with smoother servo motion.
V2 module will not work with V1 telemetry receiver

(Lets see if I got that right)

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:03 PM
Spain, CN, Tacoronte
Joined Jul 2003
400 Posts
Quote:
Renatoa-- Thank you very much. I'm learning as I go.

I'll order the current V1 telemetry system from the HK link I posted and order a second telemetry receiver as well. I shouldn't order any non-telemetry V1 receivers if my intention is to upgrade my transmitter/module to V2 in the near future though. Is that correct?

Mike
V1 or V2 non-telemetry receivers DO NOT EXIST , they are simly non-telemetry receivers PERIOD!!.
ALL non-telemetry receivers are compatible with both V1 and V2 two way (telemetry) transmitter modules , by simply shifting a switch in the back of the transmitter module.

So the answer is :
It depends if you need telemetry or not for the model you are flying that receiver with.
For example , you may have a very little indor foam plane where the weigh is the most important factor but you dont mind to have no telemetry .So this would be a good place to buy a small 4 ch normal (non-telemetry) receiver to be used with your telemetry transmitter module (seting the switch on the back).
But if you have a big motor glider where it is ESENTIAL for you to have a vario , amps , volts etc then you MUST buy a telemetry receiver (heavier and bigger) together with the extra electronics to sens the lift,amps ,volts etc (even more hevier and bigger still ) .
If you have both type of planes (some of them with telemetry receivers and some with normal receivers ) you must switch back and forth in the back of the telemetry transmitter modules depending on the one you want to fly. Someone commented here there will be a lot of wear on that switch .
Last edited by debianhot; Oct 02, 2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:06 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Anybody's head starting to spin yet?

Let me see if I have it straight:

I can upgrade the current V1 telemetry module to V2 now and the telemetry rx when the lite becomes available. (Both must be same version though to bind, so no V2 module and V1 tele rx!)

The tele module V1 or V2 will work with all non-tele rx's regardless of version number.

So I can order a few non-tele rx's now as well? With all of this V1/V2 info have I gotten it wrong about the non-tele rx's? I'm starting to think that there is no such thing as a V2 non-tele rx and only V2 tele rx's. I guess I'm asking if there is such a thing as a V2 non-tele rx?

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:09 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
debianhot-- Thanks. You posted the answer while I was still typing my previous response which I had to edit a few times to make sure it made sense.

I know what to order now. Excellent info guys. Thanks for making it easily understandable for a non-tech type like me.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:19 PM
Spain, CN, Tacoronte
Joined Jul 2003
400 Posts
CarreraGTS: OK
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:48 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
I think I will stay with mine NON Telemetry stuff for a while after reading these 10 last pages here
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe