HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:59 AM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,633 Posts
Discussion
Plantraco 4ch receiver + HobbyKing XP 3A Brushless Speed Controller

Has anyone used them together?

I was wiring up the control system for a new plane and couldn't get the motor to turn at all.

I suspect that the problem is the receiver. I followed the manual for the procedure to switch to external ESC but a simple test with a LED on the motor signal channel shows a 0-100% dimming. Also the motor output of the receiver works as normal, that is, even with the ESC plugged in it can drive a motor with full throttle control (I don't know if that is normal though).

Perhaps I should check here if the steps I took to change the receiver output are right...

First disconnect the receiver from everything, and plug the jumper wire on the rudder output. Turn on the Tx and plug in the battery on the receiver. THe receiver LED makes two long flashes and two series of several short flash, that I think indicates that it's in programming mode. Then I advance the throttle all the way up and the LED makes a series of flashes which according the manual means that it has switch to use an external ESC. Finally without touching anything else I unplug the battery and wire the ESC to the receiver.

So far so good, but when I power up the system the motor makes a continuous beeping noise which according to the ESC manual means it's not getting a signal.

So, what am I doing wrong here???
AleG is offline Find More Posts by AleG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:02 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,481 Posts
i believe you have to remove the jumper with the receiver still powered for it to save the settings. i had the same problem with mine. let me know if that fixes it
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jan 16, 2010, 03:20 AM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,633 Posts
Hey! that worked!

I programmed the thing, unplugged the jumper wire and then plugged in the ESC and voila, works like a charm.
I was quite sure that I didn't see that maneuver on the manual so I checked again. It doesn't mention it, but re-reading the thing I noticed that I misread the step after the programing, I thought I had to turn off the receiver but in fact it says to turn off the transmitter (while the receiver is still working). Perhaps if I did it that way it wouldn't need to unplug the jumper with the receiver still on.

Anyway, thanks a lot Derk.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 03:37 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Nope you have to turn off the TX while the RX is still powered with jumper still installed.
Once youve turned off the TX you will see the LED on the RX blink telling you BL output is now stored in the memory.

If your still having trouble with it then what i think is the problem is that the ESC needs to be armed, on memory switch on TX hold the throttle to full down position, power on the RX/ESC and you will hear all the arming beeps for a short while the yoiu should be set to go...

EDIT... While i was researching for the past 20mins looks like you got it going int the mean time...
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
Old Jan 16, 2010, 09:40 AM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
Nope you have to turn off the TX while the RX is still powered with jumper still installed.
Once youve turned off the TX you will see the LED on the RX blink telling you BL output is now stored in the memory.

If your still having trouble with it then what i think is the problem is that the ESC needs to be armed, on memory switch on TX hold the throttle to full down position, power on the RX/ESC and you will hear all the arming beeps for a short while the yoiu should be set to go...

EDIT... While i was researching for the past 20mins looks like you got it going int the mean time...
Thanks for the effort anyway.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 09:07 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
Dear Friends,
Can the following 2 works with Plantraco 0.9g 3CH receivers?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=9667
http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7230

Cheers,
Harsha
mrexcel is offline Find More Posts by mrexcel
Old Feb 07, 2010, 11:03 PM
Sydney
Joined May 2004
326 Posts
For the 0.9g actuator Rx you need the signal converter from BSD. I have three Plantraco RX driving HK brushless motors and controllers using this combination.
I assume the previous discussion is about the Plantraco servo 4ch Rx, which I do not own.
phil stevo is offline Find More Posts by phil stevo
Old Feb 08, 2010, 02:13 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
Thank you phil,

Can you give me little bit of more info. I am the only micro model flyer from Sri Lanka.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 06:34 PM
Sydney
Joined May 2004
326 Posts
Excell,
BSD is Bob Selman http://www.bsdmicrorc.com but checking today the item I refered to is no longer listed. You could ask Bob about the PWM/PFM-PPM converter.
It was $25 but tiny and only 200mg with wires. HK have a big heavy ugly version which would negate gains in going brushless.
The unit connects to the brushed motor output plus -ve battery conection on Rx side, then converts this to a servo/esc input pulse on the esc side. One cell Lipo power can be connected to either Rx or ESC.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 07:14 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,956 Posts
Here is a pic of it

Doesn't get any smaller.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Feb 09, 2010, 02:11 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
Hi TODD,
What did you use to make it work with brushless ESC? How much of flight time did you gain by using brushless?

I am very new to this brushless world. Please help.

Harsha
Old Feb 09, 2010, 02:12 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
Do you have the link to hobby city version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil stevo View Post
Excell,
BSD is Bob Selman http://www.bsdmicrorc.com but checking today the item I refered to is no longer listed. You could ask Bob about the PWM/PFM-PPM converter.
It was $25 but tiny and only 200mg with wires. HK have a big heavy ugly version which would negate gains in going brushless.
The unit connects to the brushed motor output plus -ve battery conection on Rx side, then converts this to a servo/esc input pulse on the esc side. One cell Lipo power can be connected to either Rx or ESC.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 02:31 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
Friends...

if I order these 3 items, will that work with Plantraco 0.9g receiver?

http://www.unitedhobbies.com/unitedh...dProduct=10007
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/unitedh...idProduct=9667
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/unitedh...idProduct=7230

What kind of a AUW I can go for?

All help here will be appreciated million times!

Cheers,
Harsha
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:50 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil stevo View Post
For the 0.9g actuator Rx you need the signal converter from BSD. I have three Plantraco RX driving HK brushless motors and controllers using this combination.
I assume the previous discussion is about the Plantraco servo 4ch Rx, which I do not own.
The Plantraco 4 CH servo Rx does not need the pwm converter. It can be programmed for a BL ESC output or a direct-fed brushed motor via internal ESC. I have three of them and love 'em!!!
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:10 AM
Sydney
Joined May 2004
326 Posts
Excel,
Your first HK link is the converter I refered to. I do not have one and do not know its limits, It is certainly heavy compared to the BSD version. I note it specifies a 5v pulse which might mean it does not work on one LiPo.

Your other two links are to the ESC and motor similar to some of my gear.

WRT to brushless performance. I have models flying well now with 2g and 3g BL motors which were marginal of failures with 6mm and 7mm geared brushed motors. They fly at part throttle now and keep going longer on the same battery. I have converted 3 Plantraco Rx models. My two others will have to wait for another source of converters.