HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:47 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,543 Posts
Discussion
Mud Duck Sport

Hi all, this is my first Glow powered scratchbuild. So far all my scratchbuilds have been electrics. I have been building the Mud Duck Sport from Mud Duck Aviation. I hve the wings about 40% complete and the fuselage about 25% complete (ballpark figure lol). Heres the setup I plan on using:

Futaba Standard Servos
Futaba 8 Channel rx
Tower .40 2-stroke engine

I plan on only building it as a 3 channel, but I'm thinking of adding the servo extentions to later add a set of aileron wings. Here's some pictures of my future "Duck".
matthew954 is offline Find More Posts by matthew954
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:01 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Nice I have always found this model interesting for some reason. Be sure to post lots of pics
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:26 AM
USA, NJ, Cliffwood Beach
Joined May 2005
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew954 View Post
Hi all, this is my first Glow powered scratchbuild. So far all my scratchbuilds have been electrics. I have been building the Mud Duck Sport from Mud Duck Aviation. I hve the wings about 40% complete and the fuselage about 25% complete (ballpark figure lol). Heres the setup I plan on using:

Futaba Standard Servos
Futaba 8 Channel rx
Tower .40 2-stroke engine

I plan on only building it as a 3 channel, but I'm thinking of adding the servo extentions to later add a set of aileron wings. Here's some pictures of my future "Duck".

Matthew,

I can't remember if I was supplying the aileron option suppliment sheet when you received your plans... If you don't have one I can get you sheet. If you haven't glued teh ribs to the wings yet I would recommend simply cutting a notch in the top of each rib just large enough to pass a servo extension (female end) connector through, so simplify it later.

Greg
MudDuckAviation is offline Find More Posts by MudDuckAviation
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:39 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,543 Posts
My plans had a dotted line marking roughly where the ailerons go. Although I was going to simplify my ailerons to run from the wing tip to the outer most wing rib. I've seen people doing that with the smaller electric foamies and it seems to work well. I'll have to check my plans to see if I have that extra sheet. I don't quite remember myself lol.

I do have a question for you though. The wood that makes the wing mounts on the fuse and the wings, what type of wood should I use? Balsa, lite ply, hardwood (large popsicle sticks)? Before I get too much farther on my fuselage and wings I wanted to find that out as I still have to fabricate the woode mounts.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:13 AM
USA, NJ, Cliffwood Beach
Joined May 2005
214 Posts
Quote:
My plans had a dotted line marking roughly where the ailerons go. Although I was going to simplify my ailerons to run from the wing tip to the outer most wing rib. I've seen people doing that with the smaller electric foamies and it seems to work well. I'll have to check my plans to see if I have that extra sheet. I don't quite remember myself lol.
Below I have attached the two suppliment sheets that are included in the manual for installing optional ailerons. Instead of using the foamboard panels to create the "D-tube" on the "Sport" versions, you can use 1/8" x 4" balsa sheeting and run a continous sheet along the bottom of the ribs (top in the image), but you will still need to cut the portiona that reach to the wing panel between each rib. It is cheaper using foamboard than balsa but you save a little weight if you have tha balsa laying around already.

Quote:
I do have a question for you though. The wood that makes the wing mounts on the fuse and the wings, what type of wood should I use? Balsa, lite ply, hardwood (large popsicle sticks)? Before I get too much farther on my fuselage and wings I wanted to find that out as I still have to fabricate the woode mounts.

1/8" light ply. It should be written on the plans right next to each template. DO NOT attempt to use balsa, it will certaily fail.

Wing Mounts; Landing gear plates and joiners; Wing ribs; Tail-skid plate; Etc. should all be made from 1/8" light-ply at a minimum. If you chose to go stronger, that's fine, some people prefer to add in more reassurances.

Greg
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:33 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,543 Posts
Hhhhmmmm I see my idea for the last rib was wrong. I had figured that the outer most rib could go right out to the edge of the aileron.

The aileron wings won't come right away. I just had the idea I'd make them eventually. The MDS was never really intended as a 4 channel. I may build them or I may not I haven't decided yet lol.

I did just buy a decent amount of Lite-Ply for the wing mounts. I probably have enough for about 3-4 Ducks lol. I'll probably start on the wings tomorrow since its my day off work.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:02 AM
USA, NJ, Cliffwood Beach
Joined May 2005
214 Posts
Quote:
I may build them or I may not I haven't decided yet lol.

Matthew,

It is very simple and fast to do if you have two extra servos to spare. I would recommend you build them in it right from the start. Most 4-channel pilots prefer the ailerons.

Greg
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:59 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,543 Posts
I think I'll be down 1 servo. Unless I can find where I have the servos out of my retired DuraTrainer .20.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:40 AM
United States, WA, Bremerton
Joined May 2009
469 Posts
That is a NEAT looking aircraft, perfect for our field, which gets mighty bumpy in the winter....
ScottTurchin is offline Find More Posts by ScottTurchin
Old Jan 22, 2010, 03:17 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,543 Posts
Same here, my airfield seems to have a couple of bumps right in the middle of the runway lol. Plus one end of our runway is lower than the other end. But it works out well because if you go to land on that end, it helps slow you down. Then you just roll over the bumps lol.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 12:43 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,543 Posts
Well, i got some more progress done. Although nothing really worth pictures though. I had finally gotten some 1/8" lite ply and drew out the few remaining wooden parts I need for the build. Then I spent about a good hour and a half cutting them on my table saw. I'm finally able to get back to assembly of the fuselage and the tail. Just as soon as I make the holes in the wing mounts with my drill press. I plan on taping them all together and putting a clamp on them, then drill them all in the drill press at the same time. If all goes well all the holes should be in the same spot. I probably will start on that all later this afternoon or tomorrow.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:01 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,543 Posts
Went and did some work on the Duck today. I concentrated on getting the forward fuselage completed. I mounted the rear former and the two sides are glued in. The top is pinned to the the sides as shown in the instructions. I'm letting the two halves set up good before I go any further. I have the wooden ribs ready to go and will probably glue them in next. I have to check, I don't remember if I cut out the top and bottom segments to the tail. But the Duck is slowly starting to resemble the Mud Duck.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 03:46 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,543 Posts
Hey the Mud Duck made it into Fly RC magazine! Just read the article. The reviewer did his up like Air Force One. Only he calls it Mud Duck One lol. Great article, can't wait to get my MDS up and running.

Not too much fabrication to do now. The wing is mostly done and so it the forward half of the fuse. I just need to get started on the tail and the landing gear and she should be ready.
Old Apr 08, 2010, 01:15 PM
United States, MA, Norwood
Joined Apr 2009
227 Posts
Scratch Built Mud Duck 72" wing

Well not sure if anyone will like it or not, but I have been building a scratch build Mud Duck from plans by Tom Chipley. I got two sheets of the plans from a friend Howard Hager as a gift. There were no instructions or a drawing of what the final plane would look like only a wing plan and a fuse plan. I adapted the plans only slightly in that I made the wing 2 inches wider and 1 inch deeper making it 72" wide and the wing depth from leading edge to trailing 11 inches. I also added aerlerons. I decided to try and used an electric .32 Rimfire electric motor that I had from another plane that landed a bit too hard. Along with a 45 ESC and 4S 35C 3000mah battery. So I got going with the wing first and built it a lot like the Great Planes Kit 300S I had built last winter. Then I started on the body of the plane and Tom's plans call for a well built super strong frame and balsa sheeting covering, I used balsa on the top and bottom surface of the Fuse behind the wing mount, and Monokote over everything saving the weight of the balsa on the sides. Wanted to make an easily removable door for the battery compartment and so I got a little childish in my design. I decided rather than making it a straight build from the plans to make it look a bit like a Mud Duck Airliner with my trims and decals. So you can see that the battery door is a full cockpit with controls and a couple poorly designed pilots. I also added passanger windows with decals, but I had fun with it. I am still making some changes pre maiden flight. I took her out in the drive way with the idea of seeing of the .32 motor would do the job. She lifted off the ground in about 8 feet and so I killed the throttle and she touched right back down. I think I have enough power. If I find her unstable on take off and landing, I plan on making the landing gear out of piano wire and about 8 inches wider than what she has in the pics with the aluminum strut. I am keeping the wheels which I cut out of wider ones. I had to add 5oz of lead in the nose to get the CG at 3 inches in from the leading edge of the wing. This lead is under the battery compartment door which is disguised as the pilots and cockpit. Waiting for new battery to arrive and should be maidening some time next week, possibly this weekend.. but if anyone has any comments I would love any advice you care to give.
David Piazzo Norwood, MA
SigPilot is offline Find More Posts by SigPilot
Last edited by SigPilot; Apr 08, 2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Add more photos
Old Apr 09, 2010, 07:40 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,543 Posts
Great looking Duck man! You should send a couple of those pics to Greg at MDA. Its too bad he doesn't have the plans for that Mud Duck. I want to add that one to my Mud Duck collection. Shoot some video of it for everyone. I have found videos on YouTube for all the ducks except that one. I'd like to see how it flies.

I haven't been able to work on my Duck due to work and finding a body shop to repair my SUV since someone vandalized it while I was at work. Not to mention I'm about to start training for my Sport Pilots License. Life just keeps getting in the way. BUT, I'm going to work on either my Balsa USA Taube .40 next or an Agri-Duck. I can't really decide which lol. But my Duck is atleast half done.