Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:11 PM
mSR noob, S107, SH6023/25
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
How do you do that manuver?
hmm well I;ve taken the flybar weights off, the rear struts and moved the lg a bit forward. Yep it's not as stable in hover thats for sure, but what I do is get it moving forward, turn 180 (right seems better?) and push up the throttle a little, if it rises too much back off a bit and go for another straight-turn (might need 2 or 3 trips), if it tips forward you found the sweet spot and push the throttle more and _hang on_! You'll know what i mean about it tipping forward when it happens, the s107 is usually dead flat when stock, but watching it pitch over is kinda fun (I think it's like you're trying to swing a pendulum. get some-any- speed, turn 180 and go forward again. Momentum makes the heli swing a little against the turn and that tips it over a little now in the direction of flight. Now with the main blades really pushing it forward it picks up speed.)

Also still working out exactly what I'm doing, but starting the same, once it tips forward, up the throttle and hold a bit of right rudder, and nose in funnel! More power tends to make the funnel smaller if its tipping over, but as you loose the pitch forward watch out for the walls and ceiling!
(p.s. if you get out of control, bail out of the rudder and she self stabilizes quick, but watch the throttle)

p.p.s i think someone also posted a trick a while ago where you turn and drop the throttle a bit and then full forward and punch the throttle up. The 'recovery' made it pitch forward and go fast. But that hurt the gears?
temporary1 is offline Find More Posts by temporary1
Last edited by temporary1; Jun 26, 2010 at 10:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:17 PM
Joined Feb 2009
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadavala View Post
Hi ,
I bought s107 copter from ebay and i tried to fly it but it is not flying up. all the parts ae working good but it is not going up in the air. Is anybody faced this problem?
Please let me know the solution to fix it to fly up.
wait till the light is solid green on the heli. it takes few seconds to detect the signal from controller.
rcvrally is offline Find More Posts by rcvrally
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:22 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,464 Posts
Set it down and let it be still. If the gyros sense any movement, it will think the heli is still in your hands and it won't start up. Wait until the light turns a solid green.
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:22 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,364 Posts
107 has a characteristic bug where the lower rotor comes loose from the shaft. It can be pushed back down, and/or cautiously glued.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:28 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jun 2010
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadavala View Post
Hi ,
I bought s107 copter from ebay and i tried to fly it but it is not flying up. all the parts ae working good but it is not going up in the air. Is anybody faced this problem?
Please let me know the solution to fix it to fly up.
Prasad, you are saying that all parts working? If they were working, you'd have lift What does it look like? Is the heli struggling to lift off? Or are the blades turning too slow? Are upper and lower rotor turning properly?

There are only two things I can think of:

1.) Gears loose (most likely cause IMHO): Hold one of the gears and *GENTLY* try to rotate the corresponding blades. The upper cog is connected to the lower rotors, the lower cog to the upper rotors. If the upper rotor is loose you can tighten the screws holding it to main shaft. If it's the lower rotor you can try pushing it a bit downward until the slipping stops. Check this post for further info.

2.) Battery may be bad or not sufficiently charged: Remove the canopy and inspect the LiPo visually. Is it bloated like a balloon? Also check the voltage with a multimeter if you have one. Fully charged the LiPo should be at 4.2 Volt. If it's not fully charged, try a different charging method: Use the transmitter if you've been charging via USB or USB if you've been charging from the transmitter before.
bruchlandung is offline Find More Posts by bruchlandung
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:29 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,051 Posts
my S107 weighed in at 215g. does that sound in the ball park? not sure about my scale calibration.
Jetskeeter is offline Find More Posts by Jetskeeter
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:30 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,464 Posts
That is WAYYYY Off. It should be 30-40g. Scale is incorrect.
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:31 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,051 Posts
thanks. I had a feeling my scale needed calibration
Jetskeeter is offline Find More Posts by Jetskeeter
Old Jun 27, 2010, 07:58 AM
Chasing dreams not d competion
uk
Joined Feb 2009
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
A few days ago I was talking about diy blades...
You me both mate, can i pursuede you to try a maccy D;s drink cup? ive not got a flying one right now so cant try it even if there was a local McDonalds and even if i frequented the places.
Im interested to see if we can get some home made ones lighter than stock.

I love your tests so far.

215grams?? lol got to clean the coffee up off the keyboard now, as said check your scales lol
BrownOut is offline Find More Posts by BrownOut
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:18 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Home made blades
If a copter with home made blades (yes, you can get stuff like this on Ebay, yikes) hurts somebody with a halfway decent lawyer, I doan' want MY fingerprints on them.

Your well-being/safety is worth more than any set of blades.
Yes, I know, we don't spin them that fast.

There's also the ROI factor: The labor alone involved, not to mention the time needed to make a "perfect" set -of four that match- far overcomes their value when finished.
A new set of S107 blades is five bucks (you'd have to move to Sri Lanka for a raise in wages).

This can be a fun project, but the danger factor makes it a bad thing to emulate for the newbs reading along silently.

Please, just use factory blades, unless you understand the theory of blade design, and can know the parts you're making can be safe to use.

That aside, a home made blade will not have the varying thickness a molded one will, and that is a big part of why they work so well.
Blades are one of the most thought-out parts on these helicopters. Why re-invent the wheel- there's the whole rest of the thing to modify.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:45 PM
Chasing dreams not d competion
uk
Joined Feb 2009
573 Posts
KB i really do see where your coming from BUT the points you make simply are not valid for this size of machine. If we were messing about at school in a classroom full of kids with one or if we were talking about a 4g3 or bigger for example then i would agree with you but we are not, viper is making a scale autogyro and im making a scale kamov, you have to change things around to get them to look and fly right.
Making new blades means the AUW can be changed which is important, if your playing with a standard machine then i agree theres simply no point in altering somthing that works but at this moment in time i cant speak for viper but mine is too heavy so things need to change.

A stray finger into the standard blades probably wouldnt even get a red mark but surely somthing made lighter and softer is only better to avoiding injury.

Take a look around the site KB because i think you will find making blades is certainly no rocket science and most people who are into the hobby for real have tried it or would try it on somthing this small. Check out eqmods posts for example, his blades are made from styrene cups i think.

A set of blades may only be $5 to you but to me im thinking they will be around the price of a new helicopter once import and postage has been taken into consideration.

I have made my own helicopters on and off for 20 years, by that i mean large machines with everything from the frames to the head to the blades, its certainly not out of my reach to change the blades on a cheap plastic toy.

Please dont forget these are only just that, A CHEAP PLASTIC TOY.

Incidentally i am going to suggest the blades dont need varying thickness and infact shouldnt have varying thickness, my standard ones dont seem to have from memory and as long as you have a simple airofoil on them some flat bits of balsawood will likely work.

You stick to covering yours with glitter and paint and we shall continue developing them to fly better.
BrownOut is offline Find More Posts by BrownOut
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:56 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts

Nuff said. I know little about copters in general, 'cause I'm a newb.

Make no mistake, I do have some capabilities and experience in "making stuff"...
Last edited by killbucket; Jun 27, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 01:00 PM
Joined Jun 2010
9 Posts
hey all.how much does a rough leading edge effect your lift?my apache won't lift,but it is second hand from a friend.and there is some rough edge on the leading edge of the blades,which i have tried sanding...the heli worked great when i got it,but now won't get air
neil trett is offline Find More Posts by neil trett
Old Jun 27, 2010, 01:30 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Maybe a pic of how 'rough'?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:04 PM
Who's scaring the kittens
Joined Apr 2002
752 Posts
Posting starting results of my "Little Nellie" project in RedBaron's original thread.
ViperR is offline Find More Posts by ViperR