SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:17 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Please just edit your first post next time.
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:18 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I think, at least at first...

They would do separate line builds for specialized markets, and maybe they did, as some Tx's DID look like more care was taken, or they were at least sorted by "correctness", because my Helizone Firebirds had much nicer stuff with them.

Since the Firebirds are to this day, still fully assembled and working, I've no idea about the copters themselves.

My more recent readings are telling me we have separate packaging operations for sure, and possibly a 'core product' made to suit all markets now, rather than doing "special batches".
Again, no clue on the actuality, IMHO...ho ho.

"Cost Reduction" is very real, in any case, and usually has the same teething issues. Happily, they clear up, or the product goes away.

Ask a Harley Owner. That company got it right.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:20 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceros007 View Post
YEAH, and don't double-post!

Recommend no lashes, due to low postcount.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:33 PM
North Dakota
Joined Apr 2010
64 Posts
Oops!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceros007 View Post
Sorry...fairly new to this.
larymor is offline Find More Posts by larymor
Last edited by larymor; Jan 06, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:49 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
deleted

They should put a Delete button somewhere...
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:55 PM
Joined Feb 2009
34 Posts
Thanks you guys comment. There is a gap between balance bar pin and the holder. i think it should to be loose right? Also I notice a split on both side of the upper blade holder. check yours if crash very often.
rcvrally is offline Find More Posts by rcvrally
Last edited by rcvrally; Jun 25, 2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 04:44 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcvrally View Post
Thanks you guys comment. There is a gap between balance bar pin and the holder. i think it should to be loose right? Also I notice a split on both side of the upper blade holder. check yours if crash very often.
My flybar does have a tiny amount of side to side slide but it has never had an effect that I have noticed.

When it would sometimes slip out half way, heli would do a sorta dance like TBE but with a subwoofer playing drub & bass pointing at the bowl.

When you say a split is it like the right half of the grip at the top of this picture?

this image is from the syma parts cross compatibility thread, handy if your stuck for parts but have other heli parts floating around.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Jun 25, 2010, 05:21 PM
Who's scaring the kittens
Joined Apr 2002
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
Well, let's see how it will turn out. The kit (pic below) has a canopy, rear fin and tricycle landing gear. I'm basicly going to remove all landing gear components and replace with kit parts. Canopy will have to be fitted and fin is easy enough. Getting COG is important along with overall weight.
Received my kit today and the project is totally do-able. All parts are super light weight and it looks like the original removed parts are either the same weight or heavier than the kits' parts. Will turn out cool. The 1st step is to relocate the boom lower to match the original sceme of the gyro copter. I will post pics as I progress.
ViperR is offline Find More Posts by ViperR
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:31 PM
Joined Feb 2009
34 Posts
having sign of flaw but it is not like that serious.
rcvrally is offline Find More Posts by rcvrally
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:54 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
That smokey translucent plastic Syma use is quite brittle under impact - might have been better to make these parts from polythene.
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:36 AM
RC Heli noob
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2010
19 Posts
Hey guys,

My online-name is Blooner, and I just registered at this forum.

I've been thinking about getting into the "RC heli"-hobby world for some time, and after a couple days of research, yesterday decided to go ahead and buy my first ever RC Heli.

I'm starting out slow, and just checking whether I like this hobby as much as I think I will.

So the best choice for me was something low-budget to start off, and a 3D heli to learn the basics of miniature aviation.

So I bought the Syma S107. (Duh, thats why I'm posting in this thread.)

It'll probably take a few days to get here though, and I was trying to find some beginners guides to 3D flying, or some sort of beginners guides on pre-flight checklists, or just explanations for the commonly used terms in this hobby (3D, coaxial, trimming, etc.).

But I've been having a pretty hard time finding a good website that has such articles.

Does one of you have a link they can share?

Greetings from The Netherlands,
Blooner
Blooner is offline Find More Posts by Blooner
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:38 AM
Chasing dreams not d competion
uk
Joined Feb 2009
579 Posts
The s107 will be made like any other item in china (incidentally things arent made in china much anymore, most stuff has actually moved production sites due to increased costs and safety requirements), these helis will be made on a production line, all perfect helis will be sold at proper price to proper vendors. Any slight defect in the manufacture or assembly will see that heli still packaged but then set to one side, these helis are then sold off cheaper as seconds and quite often through the back door. Some will be totally fine with cosmetic issues you wouldnt even notice but some will be put together wrong or have broken parts due to rough assembly.
These 'seconds' are sometimes sold off during the factory shut down periods to keep some income going, these units are the ones that usually find their way to ebay and why a lot of the ebay machines turn up with some sort of fault.
Now lets get back to the discussion at hand, the s107 not the arguments of doa helis.

I still struggle to see how these are crashed by their owners so often, they arent like flying a real rc heli they just sit there in the air with no control input but if you find yourself regulary breaking what you believe to be brittle plastic parts then can i suggest an old rc car racers trick, wrap the new parts in a flannel or tea towl and boil them in a pan of boiling water on a stove, do this for a few minutes then let cool in air not cold water. This destesses the plastic and makes it more plyable, it may or may not work with this king of plastic but if your going through parts its got to be worth a try. Wishbones on rc cars could be made almost unbreakable with this method.

Viper, great news, cant wait to see your initial pics, ive not done anymore to mine to date due to other things taking over but ill be back on top of it again soon.
BrownOut is offline Find More Posts by BrownOut
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:44 AM
uk
Joined Feb 2009
579 Posts
Blooner, your s107 isnt a 3d helicoter, i think you mighht be mistaking what 3d is in the heli world. Can i susggest you wont be able to fly 3d for a long time yet and need to master the normal flying of one first but im pretty sure you mistakingly assume 3d means fly in any direction whereas it actualy means full on areobatics such as upside down etc, the s107 wil never be able to do that.
The cheapest heli capable of 3d is going to be around at least 10 times the cost of the s107 and you need to be able to fly properly before ventureing into 3d.

As regards flying a s107? you dont need any tutorials etc they fly themselves, simply charge it up and fly it, you will be good at flying it from the first go, its impossable not to be. Dont mistake the s107 as a real rc helicopter as its not, its a coaxial toy and a bit of fun but a great way to get into the hobby. Move onto a proper rc heli as soon as you can afford one. Other than orientation there are little to no skills to be learnt from a s107 that will be transferable to a real rc heli. The s107 is a toy and should be treated like one.

If you truley mean 3d then this is the wrong thread and as i say theres no way your ready as a noob, your at least 12 months away if your a quick learner.

Hope this puts things into perspective and settles your mind, if your truley wanting 3d then your a nutter going into it from the get go but i respect that and wish you luck lol.

A link for a definition dictionary is at the top of the heli section i think, a guide to fly the s107 isnt needed, they fly themselves just have a go, you cant really preflight check anything on these and theres really not much need, look at the rotors for damage and check they spin properly then make sure the links are the correct way around and your good to go but really these are just toys you take from the box and fly, if they dont fly you find out why then or simply buy another.
Last edited by BrownOut; Jun 26, 2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:53 AM
RC Heli noob
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2010
19 Posts
Hmm,

By what your saying I'm sure that I mistook what 3D means.

What I thought was:

Going up and down = 1D
Going up/down + rotate = 2D
Going up/down + rotate + forward/backwards = 3D
Going up/down + rotate + forward/backwards + left/right (banking) = 4D

I am fully aware that the S107 is nothing like a 'real' RC heli. But I do hope that some of the 'skills' I learn with this toy are transferable to when I do buy a real RC heli. Those are expensive, and I thought that taking a few stepping stones to get there would cost me less money in the long run, as I'd crash the expensive ones less. (Starting with cheap heli then working my way up is cheaper then buying an expensive one right off the bat and crashing it 100 times)

Is that train of thought completely wrong?
Blooner is offline Find More Posts by Blooner
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:07 AM
uk
Joined Feb 2009
579 Posts
Its not completely wrong but i wouldnt use a coaxial helicopter (a helicopter with twin rotors) as a learning tool for a real rc heli, they are too dissimular.

A 3d helicopter means it will do areobatics, this video shows what a 3d helicopter is classed as and what it will do,,,,,

RC helicopter awesome 3D flying! (5 min 25 sec)

.......its not a favorite its just the first one that came up in a search.

Thinking of starting small and working up is a good idea but an impotant thing to note is that although they ae more expensive the bigger the helicopter the easy it is to fly, to learn flying i would reccomend a 30 size helicopter, they can have any part changed for upgrade or replacement and the parts are easily aqquired, these s107's will likely never have a good spares supplier.

You havent done wrong, you will have some good fun and learn the most important skill of orientation with it but as regards teaching you the skills to fly a real rc heli that it most certainyl wont do im sorry.