HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:55 AM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,464 Posts
I've never charged it from the transmitter. I don't recommend it. Charge it via USB from an A/C adapter or the computer.

Does the it ever turn green?
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:34 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Apr 2010
3,489 Posts
I've only ever charged mine from the controller when no other power is accesible e.g. when nI flew it on a train and when my daught pick up my usb charging cable and it gets lost for a day or two

My Tx is green when on, red when charging then I think it goes kinda orange then green again, never really sat there and watched it, just put it on do some house work come back and it's a 5 mins sit down with the heli and a cuppa.

Range and reception increase

If you take the Ir LEDs out of two Picooz controllers and solder them in series parallel (it's that word again KB) you sould get about tripple the range, Video and phots to follow shortly.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:58 AM
Joined Jun 2010
61 Posts
any where else to get the ir leds? and yay pictures
S107 is offline Find More Posts by S107
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:13 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,489 Posts
Range and reception increase

If you take the Ir LED arrays out of two Picooz controllers and solder them in parallel with the S107 Tx array or get 6 Ir LEDs from your loacal maplin (UK)/RadioShack (USA) and solder 2 arrays of 3 in series then solder them in parallel you sould get about tripple the range, this would also in teory increase your Tx battery consumtion but, as I was not charging my heli from the Tx my 1st set lasted almost 3 weeks!

Here's some photos of my experiments.

It is a very tight fit to get them in place in the corners, I'll find a better way and report back.

Here's video of a PicooZ array working with the S107 Tx.
S107 Tx range mod with picooz parts (0 min 22 sec)

Happy flying.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:14 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jun 2010
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcvrally View Post
I just got one s107 and notice the switch can select 2 band only though it mark A,B,C
And i plan to buy a usb power adapter for charging. i should get one with 300mah or 500ma output?
Check out Darkstar's work in decoding the Syma IR protocol: Howto identify IR codes - part 4. Awesome thread btw. Kudos to Darkstar for his dedication to his "fly by joystick" project.

You can see that there is only one bit in the protocol for channel selection. So you can't have more than two of these helicopters in the air simultaneously.

As for the power adapter, it shouldn't really matter, but lower in general is better. The max current rating is not necessarily related to what it actually charges with. To maximize the life span of LiPo batteries, the goal for the charge current should be constant and < 1C which in the case of the stock S107 would be < 150 mA.

If you don't want to measure it, here is a quick rule of thumb for gauging charge current: A LiPo charged at 1C takes 1 hour by definition. Assuming you drain your LiPo by 80%, recharging to full capacity should take 1 hour minus 20% = 48 min. So if the voltage cut off LED in the USB charge cable comes on faster than that, you either didn't use up 80% of the capacity or you are charging too fast (too high of a current).
bruchlandung is offline Find More Posts by bruchlandung
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:19 PM
Roswell, GA
Joined Jun 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S107 View Post
I have finally finished reading all 93 pages of this thread and ordered myself a red S107... Im based out of Atlanta GA... there is alott of days here with no wind so flying mini helis will be perfect here. i was wondering if anyone could change the s107 from an ir to 2.4g or something? is this possible in any way or just too heavy
Hey S107,
I'm new here too and live Roswell (Nothern Atlanta 'burbs). My S107 is supposed to arrive this week from xheli. It's a replacement for my s026 that went belly up. I couldn't wait so I picked up a 6020 from Fry's last week. That had a bad crash a couple days ago and broke the T piece that holds the main rotor in place. I'm hoping it lives up to the hype. If so, I'll order a few more S107's rather than pay for parts on the 6020. Good luck to you!

What's the 6020 tail boon supposed to do?
larkemon is offline Find More Posts by larkemon
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:44 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
The tail boom holds the rear rotor far enough back to allow it to tip the mainshaft forwards or back.
The tail rotor is adding or subtracting lift in the back of the assembly.
This is what makes the heli move forwards/back when you move the right stick forward/back.

Wifey needs that TX mod, she holds it like she does a vidgame controller, pointed at the ground (we play a lot of Killzone against each other), instead of at the copter.
Also looks like a great, easy to do first project for somebody,too.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:47 PM
Joined Jun 2010
61 Posts
it makes it go faster... and cool you live in roswell man im in sandy springs. if you end up ordering a bunch of them i might have to buy one off you =]
S107 is offline Find More Posts by S107
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:21 PM
Joined Feb 2009
19 Posts
I think the tx drain too much current to the heli. The yellow/orange light up is equal green. That means it fully charged. Just take one full hour.

So far single band is enough for me. I think the s107 spec should be changed to single ir band.

The charge current is determinate by the chip inside the stock usb cable or the input current of the usb cable? Lower charge current will take longer to charge and playing longer?
rcvrally is offline Find More Posts by rcvrally
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:32 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcvrally View Post
I think the tx drain too much current to the heli. The yellow/orange light up is equal green. That means it fully charged. Just take one full hour.

So far single band is enough for me. I think the s107 spec should be changed to single ir band.

The charge current is determinate by the chip inside the stock usb cable or the input current of the usb cable? Lower charge current will take longer to charge and playing longer?
if by longer play time you mean a longer lifespan for the battery then yes, but a longer flight time no, it's a 150mAh cell charging it slower for long will be kinder on the cell but it will not give more flight time per charge.

Middle cog failure

Well my other middle cog is making a noise and is about to loose a tooth,
anyone remeber the Mini cog replacement guide I did a few pages back?

Once it's charged up so I can get a clip of how it sounds with a failing cog I'll make a realtime start to finish video tutorial.

Wish me luck!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:44 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
Wifey needs that TX mod, she holds it like she does a vidgame controller, pointed at the ground (we play a lot of Killzone against each other), instead of at the copter.
Also looks like a great, easy to do first project for somebody,too.
It's even easier than that for you, it's not power needed in your case it's angle, there is a nice amount of leg on the stock LEDs and plenty of room in the place where they shine out.....

You have donzens of S107 Tx, make one of them just wifeys, open it up without removing the pcb just gently bend the LEDs up ward, test fit case and adjust if necessary then close it up, now she can point it how she does and the LED adjustment compensates for it without any soldering.

You like painting so you could ge as far as to respary the sliver part of the Tx Wifey Pink! just so you know it's hers.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:49 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I like having more than one frequency. Wifey and I fly at the same time a lot.

If I did this Tx mod with the LED's, I couldn't TELL her.

She'd then "get it" and hold the thing upright from that moment on.
This is "Married Guy Math", ya understand.

The pink controller idea is pure win. I wish I'd thought of it tho......DuhBucket!
That's a no-brainer, GREAT idea.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:06 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,489 Posts
I see you logic on her getting it then holding normally after you had done something, shouldn't really matter if she "gets it" if it's pointing more up then the Ir should bounce back down of the white ceiling around the copter, when it's pointing at the floor it's getting absorbed by the darker flooring it's easily undone though if needs be.

I remeber trying to teach my mother how to use voice dial on her old 3310......

'just press and hold that button, when it beeps just say "david" as you would if you were talking about me'

'Ok then, press, hold *BEEP* "DaVid!" '

Just don't tell her you have "compensated" for how she holds "her" controller, my S107 works on whichever band it see's first A or B, so you would still have a channel each.

We will be expecting (and do know you will do) photos.
Last edited by djdavies83; Jun 23, 2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:17 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
"Compensated", yes, key word.

Co-Habitation:

1. Kinda warm, I'll take my shirt off.
2. She sees this, cranks the AC down to Kelvin Range*.
3. Moments later, I'm freezing, and pull back on my shirt.
4. She sees this, flips to heat, goes for Indoor Tahiti.

Yet, I could yell, swat the controller outta her hand, stomp it to smithers, and scream "Point it AT the copter!!!"

No change..."Oh yeah, I forgot again".

*It's WRONG for a man's nipples to be hard.

It's actually over 100 where I'm at...I wonder if there's enough heat in the air out there to make the S107 "Go Rogue" and fly itself away?

HA!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:23 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,489 Posts
I tried a little range test just before experimenting with extra LEDs, I carried it 40meters before it cut out (stock tx), I think the 4 sodium street lamps must have confused the rx and made it keep going even though it prob lost singnal about the 12meter mark.