RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Improving Visibility
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:47 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,698 Posts
New S107N thread

I guess my interest in the S107G is pretty obvious. I could see the new S107N coming in the horizon. As I don't yet have a copy of it, I couldn't tell you whether it will have the same success as the S107G or not, but early impressions were promising.

After the recent launch of the Syma X1 Quad thread, I've learned a lot of experience of being a thread starter. It's both fun, and has tons of responsibilities. I went ahead and started the SYMA S107N thread, and I hope that it will be a new playground for a lot of you. Please stop by for a visit if you are interested.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:22 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,617 Posts
not sure how often they come down in price at Amazon but FWIW if you check out Meritline.com 's daily deals they have the Syma 107G on sale for $20 about once a week and it's a shipped price at that. Thats where I got the 5 I have bought. (3 as gifts, 2 to play with) they are big hits with 12+ crowd. Though free Sshipping can take a while.
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:19 AM
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
3,288 Posts
I hate to be a pest (kind of), but another newbee (300+ minutes of flight w/o real incident) question regarding the ambiguous term "storage"- how long a time period constitutes storage? Should I keep these heli's at a storage charge (3 minute run down) for overnight inactivity?
jbrumberg is online now Find More Posts by jbrumberg
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:44 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrumberg View Post
I hate to be a pest (kind of), but another newbee (300+ minutes of flight w/o real incident) question regarding the ambiguous term "storage"- how long a time period constitutes storage? Should I keep these heli's at a storage charge (3 minute run down) for overnight inactivity?

On another thread I follow there is a FLAME WAR going on right now over battery charging, storage, blah, blah, blah.

The battery in an S107 can be replaced for as little as $2.00, (I haven't tried to search out any lower). As such, I don't think it pays to try to psycho analyze the state of the battery in the $20.00 toy too much.

I have spent less time with my 3, 3.5 channel infrared choppers since getting involved with 4 channel 2.4 Ghz heli's and quads. I have left these infrared toys sit for 2 or 3 months for sure without incident. The manic attention to detail may save someone a buck or 2 a year, but in my opinion, is not warranted in this case.

I think when you get involved with some bigger faster RC toys that need 3S, 4S, 5S, and above, the expense of the battery starts to definitely warrant proper care. I have one airplane right now that uses 4S batteries and at $30.00-$60.00 or more per battery, It is not fun to contemplate throwing one away for being sloppy on battery care.

To that point I just completed a PayPal transaction on Ebay for a Hitec X4 AC+ charger that will coddle 4 batteries of almost any size and chemistry in a most professional manner.

My point is that these little 1S batteries can sit fully charged for a week or more easily, with no issue, and I think they self discharge themselves at a rate that after 2 or 3 weeks they are probably at that magical 70$% or whatever proper storage level is supposed to be. I have replaced a couple of these batteries due to flying them too long, but never for leaving them sit. I realize it can happen, but not often enough for me to worry about it.

OK Now Let the Flames Begin!

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:59 AM
Joined Dec 2012
3,288 Posts
John- Thanks.

"I don't think it pays to try to psycho analyze the state of the battery."

It's what I used to do for a living (which explains a lot about my math and electronic "skills"); old habits are hard to break. I have to say my two current batteries appear to be "passive-resistive".
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:14 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
John- Thanks.

"I don't think it pays to try to psycho analyze the state of the battery."

It's what I used to do for a living (which explains a lot about my math and electronic "skills"); old habits are hard to break. I have to say my two current batteries appear to be "passive-resistive".

LOL
Love it!
John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,698 Posts
Quote:
If you have been following my posts, you would find that I don't always follow the conservative advices about Lipo handling, and I tend to push the limits on batteries sometimes. But in my own experience, I would vouch that storing a Lipo at full charge will damage a cell. The effect is over time, not instantaneous. So, you may think it is okay for a while, but then the damage is set in, and it is too late - another good cell bites the dust.

Lipo has very slow self discharge rate, meaning that if you charge it up to 4.2v and don't use it for weeks, it will still have 4.16v at the end of that period. I have done it and I know. But that is bad for the cell. The internal resistance will build, and you flight time will go down to a minute or even less.

So, what constitutes storage? IMHO, one week. Don't worry about it if you leave it charged overnight, say getting things ready for a meet up with friends, etc. Even a few days is fine. But if life gets in the way and you won't be able to use that charged cell for a week or longer, I would advice taking it down to "storage" level.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Dec 2012
3,288 Posts
HP- Thanks. I could really run up a post "count" thanking everyone for all my questions.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,698 Posts
Ah, speaking of which, I've got 3 cells here starring at me. I better go fly.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:22 PM
Joined Nov 2006
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I see. Helizone is a good vendor and your battery does have an OCP. I could see that in the picture. But why did get so high in voltage, I'm not sure. Is your battery puffed at this point?
So, I got the parts and the gumption to start the mod for eflight batteries and pulled out the old 240mah. It does not have any voltage limiter chip. I don't see anything between the wires and what looks like the battery terminals. So the USB charger is probably fine, the battery was just incorrect for the S107. It is also a little puffed.

Although the link I posted was to the part sold by Helizone, I actually bought it from "Joy Garden".
HeliDrew is offline Find More Posts by HeliDrew
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:23 PM
Joined Jan 2013
309 Posts
Can anyone tell me the diameter of the tail support rods on the S107?
6sharky9 is offline Find More Posts by 6sharky9
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:40 AM
Joined Apr 2005
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Can anyone tell me the diameter of the tail support rods on the S107?
1.5 mm, measured with my old faithful Helios.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:33 AM
Joined Jan 2013
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIR/Cer View Post
1.5 mm, measured with my old faithful Helios.
Thank you..i'll be starting a project and wanted to use the tail support fin and hardware but use carbon tubes...wasnt sure of the diameter i needed to replace the aluminum tubes...Much help; thanks again.

Seems i can find the tail fin decoration kits and the stock aluminum support rods all day long but never see the plastic ends that mount to the frame...Found those seperate on ebay but almost $4.00 for them is rediculous....They should be included with the support rods like you can find for the S800G but they are always sold out.
6sharky9 is offline Find More Posts by 6sharky9
Last edited by 6sharky9; Feb 14, 2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3,288 Posts
My 2 new S107G's came today! Currently charging. I now have 4 in the hangar. Now anticipating the release and review of the S107N (2 more). Wifey has resigned herself to "this my last order, ... really"
RCG Plus Member