6,330 Posts
Good detective work, Mike.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:29 PM
Joined Nov 2006
51 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have an S107 and the battery died after a few flights. It would lose power after 20 or 30 seconds, but a short rest would give it another burst of power. I replaced the lipo and it flew great for another few flights, but now it is having the same problem again. When it was working I never flew it for more than 5 minutes or so, never to the point of losing power.

I hooked up a voltmeter and the lipo is reading 4.4 volts after the yellow USB cable charges it. The yellow cable itself is reading 4.8v.

Do you think the yellow usb cable is the culprit that killed two batteries by over charging?
HeliDrew is offline Find More Posts by HeliDrew
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:56 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,330 Posts
4.4v is too high, and that's what killing the battery. However, it is not a function of the USB cable to stop the process. It is up to the OCP in the individual battery, and I'm not sure why both of them were set so high.

4.2v is the ideal full. A slightly over charged battery, 4.25v, probably won't do permanent damage. But 4.3v will likely damage your battery.

When I was experimenting - sacrificing battery for science - my battery began to puff at 4.3v. Check and see if your battery is not already puffed.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:11 PM
Joined Nov 2006
51 Posts
Thanks Heli Pad. The second battery was a 240mah from Amazon that was listed as for the S107, but I don't know if it has the circuit. I think I will mod it to take the e-flite batteries and use a proper charger.
HeliDrew is offline Find More Posts by HeliDrew
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:25 PM
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
2,810 Posts
They weigh 5.2g's. I forget what the stock battery weighs, and it does not look like it has that protective circuit.
jbrumberg is offline Find More Posts by jbrumberg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Improving Visibility
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDrew View Post
Thanks Heli Pad. The second battery was a 240mah from Amazon that was listed as for the S107, but I don't know if it has the circuit. I think I will mod it to take the e-flite batteries and use a proper charger.
I see. Helizone is a good vendor and your battery does have an OCP. I could see that in the picture. But why did get so high in voltage, I'm not sure. Is your battery puffed at this point?

240mAh is a bit too heavy for my taste. If there is a next battery purchase, try and stick with 150mAh. You could easily convert your S107 to accept EFlite batteries. My blog has an entry for that. But you do need a different charger. Good luck.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:39 PM
Joined Apr 2005
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDrew View Post
Hi Guys,
I have an S107 and the battery died after a few flights. It would lose power after 20 or 30 seconds, but a short rest would give it another burst of power. I replaced the lipo and it flew great for another few flights, but now it is having the same problem again. When it was working I never flew it for more than 5 minutes or so, never to the point of losing power.

I hooked up a voltmeter and the lipo is reading 4.4 volts after the yellow USB cable charges it. The yellow cable itself is reading 4.8v.

Do you think the yellow usb cable is the culprit that killed two batteries by over charging?
Hi HeliDrew and HP

HeliDrew's heli has done the exact same thing as my very first heli, a Swann (S107 rebrand)! I suspected a bad rear motor with the short flights but decided to replace its battery first (coincidence, a 240 mAh also!). With the new battery, the flights were long enough for me to discover that the rear motor would get hot, so, will be replacing that motor soon. Have a few other helis to fly so have put off repairing the Swann.

Am wondering about the voltmeter readings that you have noted: 4.4 volts instead of 4.2 v might just be due to the slight inaccuracy of your voltmeter. When I used to be active in ham radio and troubleshooting ham gear, my voltmeter readings would not be exactly the same as what was indicated on the voltage charts.

Good luck in fixing your heli. There is lots of great info on this thread from fellas that have had a bunch of experience with them (thank you, HP). For example, last year I learned about the Toilet Bowl Effect from this thread and how to fix my Swann.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:44 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2,810 Posts
I need some educating. Is there protective curcuitry on this battery?

And one more question. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good micro soldering pencil?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jbrumberg; Jul 10, 2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:07 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrumberg View Post
I need some educating. Is there protective curcuitry on this battery?

And one more question. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good micro soldering pencil?
No, as you could see under the yellow tape, the battery leads are soldered directly to the terminals. Had there be an OCP, you would see a tiny strip (usually green) of PCB there.

This is what I use for soldering. The best bang for the buck:

Adjustable heat soldering station.
Compatible with Hakko soldering tips.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:43 PM
Joined Dec 2012
2,810 Posts
Heli Pad- Thank you for the feedback. So much to learn; so little time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:43 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,330 Posts
FYI, after a holiday season of high prices, our beloved S107G is finally back to some low prices. Currently, we have genuine 2012 S107G in green for $18.99 (FSSS, or Prime)

http://www.amazon.com/S107G-Channel-...I2K8N5EDXWQOLA
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:42 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2,810 Posts
It figures, I just (covertly) bought two more. I do not know if my recent (heli related) behaviors are a result of a rebirth of my childhood or a regression from my adulthood or just a deterioration of my mental status. I would not ask my wife.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:06 AM
Joined Oct 2012
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrumberg View Post
It figures, I just (covertly) bought two more. I do not know if my recent (heli related) behaviors are a result of a rebirth of my childhood or a regression from my adulthood or just a deterioration of my mental status. I would not ask my wife.
It's simple; we're ALL still little boys underneath the adult exterior and we love our models, be it planes, trains, cars, etc.

None of my friends are into modelling at all, I think they see me as 'eccentric' surrounded by my planes, helis and model railway stuff..BUT each time they come to my house they ask to fly one of my S107s

..I'm sure they'd love one but couldn't justify it to their wives!

Regards
Harry
Harry Rule is offline Find More Posts by Harry Rule
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:06 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2,810 Posts
A new question.

I have some very basic understanding of DC electronics and know how to use a multimeter (once I refresh myself with the manual). I also have no experience with the RC electronics except replacing, changing plugs, and/or reconnecting cables.

In reading a lot of posts I see the need to check battery voltage (at least). I do not mind going under the hood and reading off the terminals, but would it also be possible to take a voltage reading off a mini usb cable male plug inserted in the charge port? Or is there some kind off gizmo that prevents that?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:14 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2,810 Posts
Harry- I prefer the term "colorful" or maybe even "idiosyncratic". My friends' wives see me as a very bad influence and example.

I also have some big toys (2 tractors ).
RCG Plus Member