HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:33 PM
S107, S026
TSquare123's Avatar
Nashville, TN
Joined Aug 2010
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDog View Post
I attempted to charge with the included USB cable but nothing happens when I turn the heli on. For both 107s, when connected to the USB the red light in the USB remains on constantly. Any thoughts?
Just a thought. Did you try more than one USB cable? If the USB light does not go out when plugged into the 107, either the battery is fully charged or it is not seeing a connection. The light should go out when charging and come on when fully charged. You may have a bad USB cable.
TSquare123 is offline Find More Posts by TSquare123
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:41 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDog View Post
This is my first post here. I don't know if this is the right place to be posting this. I have Two S107s I purchased over 2 yrs ago. One heli appears to have battery power in that the front alternating LED comes on when I turn it on but nothing else comes on and nothing happens when I turn the transmitter on. It is totally unresponsive.
My other S107 was just taken out of the box and has no power. I attempted to charge with the included USB cable but nothing happens when I turn the heli on. For both 107s, when connected to the USB the red light in the USB remains on constantly. Any thoughts?
DocsDog, Welcome (back) to RC flying. Unfortunately, it's been a while and both S107s are not cooperating. Let's see if we could try to sort things out for you. Your troubles are most likely to be battery related. I would suggest that you would take a small screw driver and take off the 2 screws and remove the canopy. Watch out for the attached light. Once you have a clear view of the battery, examine that it is not puff. Use your fingers to squeeze on it. It should feel solid and should not feel like having an air pocket inside of it. If the battery looks or feels puff, it's better no to use it anymore.

If it is not puff, we could move to the next step. Next, do you have a voltmeter? Could you try and find out what the voltage of the battery is? It has red and black wires, corresponding to the +ve and -ve terminals. See what you can find out about the voltage.

While reading your comments, I have two thoughts: (1) make sure the helicopter is OFF before you charge; (2) When the front LED is on and flashing, but the helicopter does not respond, (a) What is the small, green LED on the main PCB of the helicopter doing? Is it flashing, or is it solid? (b) What is the LED on your transmitter doing? Do you have a solid green light? Do you have good batteries in your Tx? After all, it's been a couple of years.

Well, that should keep you busy for a little while. Hope you find out what's wrong with it.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:52 PM
Registered User
HIR/Cer's Avatar
Joined Apr 2005
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05 View Post
If I may jump in here again, click on the site image and scroll down to a larger pic of the 107N. You can see the huge looking spokes of the gear(s) behind what appears to be a protection housing surrounding them. Exciting, to say the least!?
The side frame protection housing for the gears look very similar to that of the S800 and the S800 gears are spoked. Hopefully the gears and motors will be interchangable.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:59 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
DocsDog, Welcome (back) to RC flying. Unfortunately, it's been a while and both S107s are not cooperating. Let's see if we could try to sort things out for you. Your troubles are most likely to be battery related. I would suggest that you would take a small screw driver and take off the 2 screws and remove the canopy. Watch out for the attached light. Once you have a clear view of the battery, examine that it is not puff. Use your fingers to squeeze on it. It should feel solid and should not feel like having an air pocket inside of it. If the battery looks or feels puff, it's better no to use it anymore.

If it is not puff, we could move to the next step. Next, do you have a voltmeter? Could you try and find out what the voltage of the battery is? It has red and black wires, corresponding to the +ve and -ve terminals. See what you can find out about the voltage.

While reading your comments, I have two thoughts: (1) make sure the helicopter is OFF before you charge; (2) When the front LED is on and flashing, but the helicopter does not respond, (a) What is the small, green LED on the main PCB of the helicopter doing? Is it flashing, or is it solid? (b) What is the LED on your transmitter doing? Do you have a solid green light? Do you have good batteries in your Tx? After all, it's been a couple of years.

Well, that should keep you busy for a little while. Hope you find out what's wrong with it.
I have removed the battery as there was 0volts. I replaced with a battery from my blue non responding 107 as I was able to test it and found it to have 3.8v. I was able to get the red heli working and had a great first flight time/function. I then charged with the USB for 40 min after a 15min cool down and had enough battery to lift off to 9ft then it quickly ran out. I am going to try to charge overnight and see if that makes a difference. The blue nonresponder had no green gyro light at all despite the good battery. I am planning to pick up a replacement circuit board (PCB?)
DocsDog is offline Find More Posts by DocsDog
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:14 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDog View Post
I have removed the battery as there was 0volts. I replaced with a battery from my blue non responding 107 as I was able to test it and found it to have 3.8v. I was able to get the red heli working and had a great first flight time/function. I then charged with the USB for 40 min after a 15min cool down and had enough battery to lift off to 9ft then it quickly ran out. I am going to try to charge overnight and see if that makes a difference. The blue nonresponder had no green gyro light at all despite the good battery. I am planning to pick up a replacement circuit board (PCB?)
0 volts is very bad! Is it puffed though? If it is not, and if you are courageous, there are extreme measures to try to revive that battery. I have brought one of those back successfully. Let me know if you want more info. Otherwise, we could treat that one certified dead.

3.8v is a good place. Full battery should be 4.2v. Drained is about 3.7v. DO NOT CHARGE OVERNIGHT. Never charge Lipo unattended, like sleeping. If it doesn't charge in 1 hour, it never will.

You said blue has no green LED on PCB, despite of good power source? That sounds might bad. If I were you, I won't get PCB replacement for it. Just too costly, and too much work. Save the blue one for parts. Replace battery for Red, and call it a day. Buy a new one if you want to. Or get something entirely different, like a Syma X1 quad, for instance.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:10 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
149 Posts
Heli Pad,

I've got a problem, which is everytime I leave any of my 107's unattended for say a month or so the batteries seems to go south, as when I do a normal charge to fly again I only get about a minute or less of flying time. I treat the batteries with the utmost of care, allowing them to cool before charging and after, and never fly for more than 5 mins or until the heli show the first sign of losing power. All the batteries I use are stock units....what gives??.

Karol
Karolh is offline Find More Posts by Karolh
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
mishandled and or mis-used lipo batteries are the most likely culprits. Replacing them with like originals can be done through chinese sites like banggood or even amazon.com usa.
Depending on your interest in these 2 helicopters, (likely not much if they sat 2 years already and wiped out the lipos), you have a couple of choices.
1 buy batteries from china and do some micro soldering to get the old ones out from the circuitboard and then the new ones soldered in.

2 buy 1 or 2 new helicopters from china at a site like banggood,com or many others even amazon.com usa for `$20-$25.

Here's 3, but i don't think you care this much, look into buying a real battery charger and the appropriate connectors to work with the great new e-flite 150 mah 1s bats that can be had at almost any lhs. This method requires soldering in a new e-flite 1s connector to your s107 mainboard. Probably not for the timid.

Have fun no matter what it takes, you might not have that choice in 75 years.

John in merrill
dont try soldering onto circuit board unless you are very good-cut battery wires half way ;shorten new wires from battery and then solder.
ffiill is offline Find More Posts by ffiill
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:32 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolh View Post
Heli Pad,

I've got a problem, which is everytime I leave any of my 107's unattended for say a month or so the batteries seems to go south, as when I do a normal charge to fly again I only get about a minute or less of flying time. I treat the batteries with the utmost of care, allowing them to cool before charging and after, and never fly for more than 5 mins or until the heli show the first sign of losing power. All the batteries I use are stock units....what gives??.

Karol
AFAIK, Taking TLC is charging/discharging is half the battle. Storing it, as in your situation, is the other half.

The recommended storage mode is 3.84v. It is not fully charged, or fully spent (I meant 3.5v, not 0v). I did have Lipos go back on me, because I stored them fully charged. Perhaps, that was you situation also?

If you want to be precise, store them at 3.84v or closely to that level. If you want to get a rough ball park, fully charge the helicopter and fly it for 3 minutes before storing. So far, I don't have a single S107G stock battery gone bad on me.

When in doubt, I recommend flying them at least once a week.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:55 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
149 Posts
Thanks, will put your storage recommendation into effect immedeiately.

Karol
Karolh is offline Find More Posts by Karolh
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:58 PM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
CCbusa05's Avatar
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
If you want to get a rough ball park, fully charge the helicopter and fly it for 3 minutes before storing. So far, I don't have a single S107G stock battery gone bad on me.

When in doubt, I recommend flying them at least once a week.
IMO, right there is trully very valuable info! I'm a seasonal RC heli pilot and usually store my helis from about April until the motorcycle riding season ends in early November, if not sooner. I had not thought much about battery storage until now and more than likely would have put my 107G fleet away fully charged. THANKS Heli Pad, you saved me much grief and $$$$!
I don't care what people say about you behind your back, to me, you da man!!
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Last edited by CCbusa05; Jan 28, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:36 PM
night is right for flight!
thunnus's Avatar
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Hi Gang
To answer a lot of your questions, just download the Syma catalog. It also shows a ton of other heli's and quads, some old some NEW.

Have FUNNNNNNnnnnnnnnn

John in Merrill
yo JiM! never knew there were so many Symas existing or on the way, do you have any idea when the X3 will be available and what the price point is?! that's one thing the catalog didn't provide is timing or pricing. i know Syma is on the low end quality wise but they are just right for me price wise.
thunnus is offline Find More Posts by thunnus
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:30 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05 View Post
I don't care what people say about you behind your back
What are people saying about me behind my back?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:39 PM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
CCbusa05's Avatar
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
What are people saying about me behind my back?
Well, there was this guy at Starbucks the other day and he said..................
Actually, without guys like you on here, most of us would be lost sheep.
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:42 PM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
CCbusa05's Avatar
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunnus View Post
i know Syma is on the low end quality wise but they are just right for me price wise.
I won't argue the point with you, but in my 6 years of buying, flying, crashing and selling all sorts of coaxial and FP helis, I have never seen a more quality built product than the Syma 107G, AT ANY PRICE, period.
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:08 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
217 Posts
Hi all,

I too think Syma is about the best of the bunch quality-wise, though I've had the odd 'no brand' heli which has also had excellent build quality. Worst Syma dud I had was the SO32, which a lot of people had probs with - there's a thread here somewhere.

As for the S107, I'm in total agreement with CCbusa05 - this is definitely the smoothest heli I've bought so far (and I have 4 of them). If I'm in my LHS and I see a newbie looking at the heli's and undecided I steer them straight to the S107.

I just realised that mine are all nearly 4 years old now and still flying perfectly - they average about 2 flights a week, but sometimes less. I bought 4 so I wouldn't flog a single one to death and it seems to be paying off

Regards
Harry
Harry Rule is offline Find More Posts by Harry Rule
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale 3-channel Micro IR S107 Metal HoneyBee Helicopter No.ES0107 (with Gyro) mictopwin Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 8 May 09, 2011 01:47 PM
Discussion V-max .vs. Falcon-X .vs. Syma 3 S107? 7immy Mini Helis 12 Apr 07, 2011 04:11 PM
Discussion Mosquito 3CH Radio Control Helicopter Version 2 by Syma Wayno-san Micro Ready-to-Fly 39 Dec 26, 2010 02:36 PM