HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05 View Post
I have three recently purchased 107s and like the idea of not having to remove that annoying throttle spring. Syma must be listening to customers that have a bit more flying experience than newbies and have decided to leave the spring out. If you stay in this hobby long enough, one of the first things you train yourself to do without even thinking about it is to quickly lower the throttle all the way down in the event of a crash or hard landing.
The nice thing about it at the moment is I can fly both the white and the yellow with or without the spring. I think the spring is a little annoying, especially since it seems overly tight but I continue to gravitate back towards the spring - probably because I got used to using it at first.

Should be a no brainer though because without the spring it is easy to stay at the same altitude (even if it is only 5 feet ). I think with the spring I can whip the heli around more for some reason. I'll just have to use the controller without the spring more to become accustomed to it, maybe then I will be able to see the light (usefulness) of the springless.

I put the whole new set of wings on the S107 yellow, the balance bar, and the tail decorations set and put the tattered but mostly still useable parts away in case disaster strikes again. I then swore that I would never crash either one of them ever again and moments later I was humbled as I had to get up off my - - - to retrieve the white one from underneath a chair...
majoraward is offline Find More Posts by majoraward
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:47 AM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Rubber Banded the Spring Location

The new transmitter wasn't working very well, the heli would suddenly rise and lower without me touching the thottle stick, so I took it apart. I thought it would be easy - went out into the shed in my slippers without a coat thinking I could get a couple of allen wrenches and come in real quick and try them out on the top stick, the 4 hex machine screws around the top of the stick. 28 degrees out there and searched for awhile finding about 5 different sizes just to be sure I had the right one.

lmao when I came back into the house and I tried to open it because, of course, it is fake and the plastic hex became a round plastic ring. I then took the time to find the real 6 screws on the reverse side, one hidden in the little door with the charging wire. Had to take the batteries out and pull the door off but it was fine. Took it apart and superglued the irratating 2 blue buttons that do nothing but rattle (as someone else mentioned).

There was no place for a spring to exist but I took a rubber band and looped it twice around the throttle and hooked it around the lower left hole stub for the screw. Put it all back together and what I now had was a throttle with about half the tension as the first one with the spring. I just flew the 107G and it flew perfectly and I really like the tension on the throttle. I think I like it because of the configuration of the xBox controller always has tension but it is zeroed out in center, but feels similar.

I have played a lot of first person shooters but mostly stick now with driving forza series - now forza horizon video racing although I don't get much time to do it and frankly, flying these heli's is more fun. I forgot to mention I put fresh batteries in the transmitter so maybe that is why the heli isn't jerking all over the sky now. I know it was the transmitter because I tried the other one and the heli was fine.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:20 AM
In my Prayers
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,355 Posts
Major, if you were having problems BEFORE the batteries were removed and now that you replaced them with fresh batts tells me two things. Yes, maybe you did need new batts OR the batts were not making a good connection. This is a common problem with the S107 TX. Some AA batts have small nubs for "positive" (+) so it's hard for the connection to reach the opposite batt between the white plastic spacers. You can put a small piece of tin foil between the batts. You can use plastic friendly lube to lube those white plastic spacers so they don't bind. And some guys just pull the spacers out. I have plastic friendly lube so, I just lubed the white plastic spacers.

Because of a bad contact between the batts your heli will have a tendency to loose contact with the TX.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:05 AM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Major, if you were having problems BEFORE the batteries were removed and now that you replaced them with fresh batts tells me two things. Yes, maybe you did need new batts OR the batts were not making a good connection. This is a common problem with the S107 TX. Some AA batts have small nubs for "positive" (+) so it's hard for the connection to reach the opposite batt between the white plastic spacers. You can put a small piece of tin foil between the batts. You can use plastic friendly lube to lube those white plastic spacers so they don't bind. And some guys just pull the spacers out. I have plastic friendly lube so, I just lubed the white plastic spacers.

Because of a bad contact between the batts your heli will have a tendency to loose contact with the TX.

Mike.
Thanks for info. I wonder if WD-40 would work?

I thought it could have been discharged batteries because some were thrown back in the same place we keep them that were used for holday decorations and I thought maybe I had put some of those older batteries in the case. It makes sense to me though, those holiday batteries had been used very little so I was scratching my head over that one.

It does seem to short out and the first transmitter I had to retighten the battery cover because it was shorting out, didn't know about this problem though. It could account for some of the lack of power problems that I thought were related to the table lamp (although flying over lamp will always cause a loss of power I have discovered).
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:00 PM
S107, S026
Nashville, TN
Joined Aug 2010
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoraward View Post
Thanks for info. I wonder if WD-40 would work?
WD-40 is NOT plastic friendly. It will melt some plastics.
TSquare123 is offline Find More Posts by TSquare123
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:38 PM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSquare123 View Post
WD-40 is NOT plastic friendly. It will melt some plastics.
Wow, good thing I waited for a reply. Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:05 PM
In my Prayers
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,355 Posts
Until you get some plastic friendly lube (i use Break Free CLP), if the white plastic tabs are "real" sticky and binding, you could use "just a dab" of vegetable oil. In other words, use a toothpick to apply it and clean up any excess with a gun patch (lint free). Keep working the tab back and forth. As I said before you can also pop them out. Heard of it...never done it. Maybe someone will jump in and explain that process.

BTW, when you get proper lube, clean up those tabs again. IE: get rid of the veggie oil

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Until you get some plastic friendly lube (i use Break Free CLP), if the white plastic tabs are "real" sticky and binding, you could use "just a dab" of vegetable oil. In other words, use a toothpick to apply it and clean up any excess with a gun patch (lint free). Keep working the tab back and forth. As I said before you can also pop them out. Heard of it...never done it. Maybe someone will jump in and explain that process.

BTW, when you get proper lube, clean up those tabs again. IE: get rid of the veggie oil

Mike.
I think I could have removed them when I opened up the transmitter, but wouldn't want to mess with it again if I don't have to.

Would silicon work? I have some for our treadmill.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:48 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
590 Posts
Thinking about buying this for my son banggood has them for $18.99 free ship is there a Better 3ch coaxial heli out there or is this it?
ITS ME DAVID is online now Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:59 AM
night is right for flight!
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID View Post
Thinking about buying this for my son banggood has them for $18.99 free ship is there a Better 3ch coaxial heli out there or is this it?
that is THE best 3ch coaxial IMHO (especially for beginners) and that is an excellent price, especially with free shipping! just be sure it's an authentic, not a knock-off.
thunnus is offline Find More Posts by thunnus
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:15 AM
Joined Apr 2011
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunnus View Post
that is THE best 3ch coaxial IMHO (especially for beginners) and that is an excellent price, especially with free shipping! just be sure it's an authentic, not a knock-off.
Thanks yea I read the reviews from buys they said its genuine and came In styrofoam inside the box not the plastic molded type.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:27 AM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,768 Posts
Quote:
I've bought a few from an outlet in the LA area that are the 2012 genuine Syma 107g version. At $27.99 with coupon code S107, they cost a little more than what you're looking at, but for a 2 to 3 day delivery and assurance that they are genuine, well worth the extra $$$ to me.
http://www.all-battery.com/SymaS107G.aspx
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joined Apr 2011
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05 View Post
I've bought a few from an outlet in the LA area that are the 2012 genuine Syma 107g version. At $27.99 with coupon code S107, they cost a little more than what you're looking at, but for a 2 to 3 day delivery and assurance that they are genuine, well worth the extra $$$ to me.
http://www.all-battery.com/SymaS107G.aspx
Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:11 AM
still learning
The Netherlands, ZH, Lekkerkerk
Joined Aug 2010
55 Posts
Quote:
Thanks yea I read the reviews from buys they said its genuine and came In styrofoam inside the box not the plastic molded type.
I bought a few of them and they are genuine. Also bought spares. One of the canopes was cracked and they replaced it for free. They do give working tracking information but it takes about three weeks (for me in the Netherlands).
C4Vette is offline Find More Posts by C4Vette
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:33 PM
Minister of the Obvious
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Thanks to HeliPad's blog entry I replaced the rotor head this evening because of broken pivot pins.

That article and video made it so much easier. That's part of what makes this community such a great place.

Now if I could only get a PCB for the Evo T1...LHS says that they *may* have one next week.
brandtb is offline Find More Posts by brandtb