HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:05 AM
Joined Jan 2013
67 Posts
107 @nUJ4805 Avastar mods

heres pics of my 107 and my UJ Avastar swiss cheesed, and the Avastar with side pods removed and lying underneath for you to get idea of size and weight I removed.
fishandflying is offline Find More Posts by fishandflying
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:15 AM
still learning
The Netherlands, ZH, Lekkerkerk
Joined Aug 2010
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I've shown a picture of the OCP on Lipo, haven't I? Allow me to do it one more time. It's a tiny little PCB with a couple of chips and tiny SMD resistors on it. I would never think of creating anything this small from RS parts. I rob them from dead batteries. I have more than enough of these. Plus, I have a good charger for most of my hobby grade batteries. Eventually, you'll have dead batteries. You simply remove the OCP from them, and if you want you could solder them onto the dumb charging cable and make a "crude" smart charger out of it.

Sure, love to see pictures of what you've done.
Good idea! Now I know I won't through them away.
Found this picture:
C4Vette is offline Find More Posts by C4Vette
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:12 AM
Joined Jan 2013
67 Posts
Thank you all. c4fvett. I just sold my 87 c4 have a good nite. 2:10 A.M. here in Tn., USA)
fishandflying is offline Find More Posts by fishandflying
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:17 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
442 Posts
I got a yellow 107 at Xmas - this gave 3-4 2-minute flights on each battery charge. I've put about 5 charges through it - so about 15-20 flights - and today the lower blade motor has just stopped. Hope it's the motor and not the electronics...
dodgy is online now Find More Posts by dodgy
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:17 AM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy View Post
I got a yellow 107 at Xmas - this gave 3-4 2-minute flights on each battery charge. I've put about 5 charges through it - so about 15-20 flights - and today the lower blade motor has just stopped. Hope it's the motor and not the electronics...
Exact same thing happened to me. See posts 12559 through 12563.
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:29 AM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
@Major, Just a blade, that's no big deal. You have some replacements coming your way? What color was the blade you broke?
Yellow - Replacements will be here Monday or Tuesday but the new white S107G should be here today with a wall charger
majoraward is offline Find More Posts by majoraward
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:51 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoraward View Post
Yellow - Replacements will be here Monday or Tuesday but the new white S107G should be here today with a wall charger
Sounds good. Downtime would be minimal.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:56 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,498 Posts
Wow, that's two reports of premature motor issues in two days! To both cases, I'd like to ask, were you able to determine what the root problem is - is it the motor, wires, or board? Were you able to hand turn the rotors, or the motor shaft? If they turned, how well did they turn? I'm trying to get a feel if the problem was with a seized motor, a broken wire, or a failed board.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:34 PM
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,779 Posts
Quote:
Wow, that's two reports of premature motor issues in two days! To both cases, I'd like to ask, were you able to determine what the root problem is - is it the motor, wires, or board? Were you able to hand turn the rotors, or the motor shaft? If they turned, how well did they turn? I'm trying to get a feel if the problem was with a seized motor, a broken wire, or a failed board.
Hey Heli Pad, in my case is was definitely a motor failure. All wires were in good shape and when I turn the rotor blades by hand, all gears, including the gear on the motor turn freely. No binding of any moving parts.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:44 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
442 Posts
Quote:
Everything turns ok on mine as well. I'm leaving everything connected until I get some motor spares, so I can't tell if it's the motor or the board. But when I picked the s107 up and tried to spin the bottom blade it felt as if it was trying to go for a short while.

Full data will have to wait until I can disassemble things, but I have seen a failure that looked like this before in a toothbrush motor. What had happened there was that the thin brush fingers had worn away and broken off at the commutator. I suspect that, unless the landing is perfect, the lower blades get stopped by contacting an object while power is still being applied, and the resultant current surge tends to melt the delicate brushes a bit. After a few instances of this the brush breaks, and can no longer touch the commutator...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:28 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05 View Post
Exact same thing happened to me. See posts 12559 through 12563.
Do you Guys own pets? If so, check the shafts/gears carefully with a lighted magnifier for pet hair.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:55 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Do you Guys own pets? If so, check the shafts/gears carefully with a lighted magnifier for pet hair.

Mike.
No pets, and all the gears smooth and clean...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Spring?

The white 107G came today - nice, and the wall charger. The transmitter accelerator control does not have a spring in it that keeps it in the down position if your thumb is off the control lever like the transmitter that came with the yellow 107.

Is this a mistake or did they take the spring out on purpose?

In a way it is nice without the spring because you can let your thumb off the lever and it won't plung down to the ground and will maintain height, but on the other hand I think it losses a bit of the fine control for elevation. I wish it were somewhere in the middle because the spring is very powerful, if there were a little less tension I would like it better - sort of a Goldilocks & the 3 Bears story lol
majoraward is offline Find More Posts by majoraward
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:51 PM
RTF only for now!!!
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Mar 2007
332 Posts
The spring is there mainly for young flyers who may not automatically reduce throttle in case of a crash. Older/experienced flyers prefer the ability to set it and only adjust when needed, and they know to chop throttle if the plane/copter is going down. It is a common mod for any toy grade RC to remove the throttle spring. You mentioned an Air Hogs Havoc - throttle management is crucial to fly these at all, and in my opinion, they fly much better without the throttle spring. Anyway, removing the spring is one of the first things I did to my S107G, along with securing those rattling top buttons that don't do anything (I used double stick tape). I have one toy coax copter with no gyro that was harder to fly without the spring, so I replaced the very stiff stock one with a "gentler" one from another transmitter.

I would guess that Syma uses multiple factories and the one that made your white example may not install the spring, it may save a penny or two per unit.
Greg_Vincent is offline Find More Posts by Greg_Vincent
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:50 AM
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoraward View Post

Is this a mistake or did they take the spring out on purpose?
I have three recently purchased 107s and like the idea of not having to remove that annoying throttle spring. Syma must be listening to customers that have a bit more flying experience than newbies and have decided to leave the spring out. If you stay in this hobby long enough, one of the first things you train yourself to do without even thinking about it is to quickly lower the throttle all the way down in the event of a crash or hard landing.