HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:53 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,841 Posts
So, how about turning one of your yellow one into an American SE? Did you get my PM?
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:20 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2012
18 Posts
yes got your pm sounds like a good plan.. do you mean get the parts a bit at a time, i bought a complete set of yellow parts for under 6. or just over $9
x777x is offline Find More Posts by x777x
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
These things are addictive. I have a yellow S107 and just ordered parts for it (The tail thing-a-ma-jig can only be superglued so many times) and a more powerful battery. Then I thought, wonder if it goes down completely and I have no heli? So I just ordered a white S107G also roflmao - btw I looked at my Air Hog havoc and the rear motor on it isn't any bigger than my S107 but I did manage to take enough weight off the rear end that it will actually fly a bit now and it was very entertaining taking it apart and putting it together again. Good thing I had some watch repair screwdrivers though.
majoraward is offline Find More Posts by majoraward
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:39 PM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,768 Posts
Question for long term owners.

I have several V911s that I enjoy flying inside and out, but for that relaxing sit on the couch smooth flying experience, the 107g is hard to beat. I have two more on order, but in the meantime the red one I purchased last week that only has approx. 15 flights on it suddenly dropped to the floor last night. Upon further inspection, I determined that the motor that runs the lower rotor blades died. I'm hoping that this is an isolated case and not the norm! This little guy has never even been crashed. Yeah, I read the first post where a guy got 150 plus flights from his original 107g, but I wonder what the average motor life span is out here? I'd appreciate some of you posting up an approx. number of flights you might be getting from your original motors.
Thanks - Jim
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:26 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05 View Post
I determined that the motor that runs the lower rotor blades died. I'm hoping that this is an isolated case and not the norm! This little guy has never even been crashed. Yeah, I read the first post where a guy got 150 plus flights from his original 107g, but I wonder what the average motor life span is out here? I'd appreciate some of you posting up an approx. number of flights you might be getting from your original motors.
Thanks - Jim
These little brushed pager type motors are used in a ton of toys from cars to boats and helicopters and planes. They are also used as the vibrating mechanism in cell phones pagers and even electric tooth brushes among many other things. They are cranked out by the hundreds of thousands as a commodity item by many Chinese manufacturers. They almost always use tiny tiny little finger type brushes, cheap copper armatures and never any more than a single brass bushing on the shaft end. They come in quite a number of diameters, with 7mm being the main motor size in the S107.
As far as longevity, you can expect anywhere from 20 to 500 short flights from them in these helicopters. Flying in a plane or helicopter is probably the maximum drain of all the motors multiple uses. Mostly because many of us want to fly as fast and as long as we possibly can, and as such tend to overheat the armatures and brushes to the failure point.
Keeping flight times to less than 5 minutes helps greatly, but individual quality control tolerances on the motors makes it a gamble. Keeping flight times down, keeping multiple helicopters to alternate flights, and keeping spare motors and a soldering iron handy is just part of the game to try to assure some longevity.

Have Fun

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,841 Posts
I enjoy flying it too much and I'm too relax about the whole experience to keep a flight log. But mine must have over 100 flights in it. Still flies like new!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:40 PM
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,768 Posts
Thanks guys for your responses. I feel more confident now and yes, I always time my flights to 4 minutes maximum. As you two know, the key to success is rotating among multiple helis to allow for cool down time for both batteries and motors!
Cheers - Jim
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:53 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,386 Posts
I have 50 logged flights and still flying nice. I have to use a tiny bit of yaw trim.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:12 PM
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I have 50 logged flights and still flying nice. I have to use a tiny bit of yaw trim.

Mike.
Good to know! Thanks Mike!
My wife asks why so many helicopters, get a life.
My dear I tell her, this IS my life! This and sportbikes in the summer. What else is there???
Last edited by CCbusa05; Jan 09, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,841 Posts
Speaking like a true Addict!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:17 PM
Joined Jan 2013
67 Posts
Addict

Talk about these being addicting. In 4 days I now have 4 helis. Also doing modes. Swiss cheesed the s107, removed tail sopports and tail feathers, removed wieght in nose. Flys really nice!!
Didn't get into the o26 jet! Maybe tonight?
I gopt an Avater by Yiboo. I swiss cheesed it also. I then figuered I don't need the 2 moters on the sides. So I removed the plastic supports and motors. Wow just bearly touch the throttle and it jumps up!really cool. Teand to want to rotate to the "left, I think" but slowly, not bad.May I need some weight ?
Also, Have HeliPad, , from reading you posts I see you do everything and working on pcb's. Have you tried to get parts from Radio Shack to build your own battery protecter like is on the stock batterys?? Can you build one or will it be too big or no parts/
Bob
I will upload some Pics if you like.
fishandflying is offline Find More Posts by fishandflying
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:58 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,841 Posts
I've shown a picture of the OCP on Lipo, haven't I? Allow me to do it one more time. It's a tiny little PCB with a couple of chips and tiny SMD resistors on it. I would never think of creating anything this small from RS parts. I rob them from dead batteries. I have more than enough of these. Plus, I have a good charger for most of my hobby grade batteries. Eventually, you'll have dead batteries. You simply remove the OCP from them, and if you want you could solder them onto the dumb charging cable and make a "crude" smart charger out of it.

Sure, love to see pictures of what you've done.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
67 Posts
Thanks Hp, I sorry you had to show pis. again. I did not know where to find this on "searck" I typed in batterys, chargers battery overload protectors and could not fine this. I just non't know the correct words to typ in when I want to look up stuff. So thank you again.
O.k., I will not try to do this from RS parts. Can I order this ocp? do.nt know if the stock ones I ordered will have the 0Cp on them They may not be here till Jan 11 till Feb.!! Same with my extra blades ect for the 026
Thanks HeliPad
fishandflying is offline Find More Posts by fishandflying
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:44 PM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Ordered parts too late

I posted yesterday that I had ordered parts for my heli and ordered another - this evening I crashed and tore off a wing at the root
majoraward is offline Find More Posts by majoraward
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:19 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,841 Posts
@Fish, It's quite alright. I couldn't remember if I have or haven't shown it here. Even if I have, I'm sure that the question will come up again in the future. You're not the last newbie. I was a newbie once. It's all good.

@Major, Just a blade, that's no big deal. You have some replacements coming your way? What color was the blade you broke?