HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:05 PM
Joined Dec 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishandflying View Post

Wow! I plan to do what 12ob has done on his, After I get really good on my s0107.I know, I'm getting ahead of my self since I won't be getting my first heli till tomorrow. NICE job 12ob! That is one NICE 107!!
thanks

the mods i did so far are free and kind of easy if you already own a small philips screw driver and a drill. and they made a huge difference!

on a somewhat related note i ordered a Carbonfiber kit for the s107 maybe like 10days ago, but its still not here... so no pics of that. yet. but ill post some after it gets here.
l2ob is offline Find More Posts by l2ob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:06 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Welcome to RCG major. Yeah the TV, very bright lights and especially sunlight will drop the 107 right out of the sky.
A TV and lights won't interfere with an infrared signal . A tv REMOTE will, as it's sending out IR signals of it's own. So will direct sunlight. Similarly, when you try changing TV channels with the remote pointed away from the TV, it will occasionally not get the signal. Same goes for the 107 - a direct line of sight between copter and remote is the best way to avoid dropout.

Basically it's the same as a T.V. remote. You need to be in the same room, without too much sunlight, with a good line of sight between transmitter and receiver, to get optimal performance.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoraward View Post
Big screen TV off and I also turned off energy saving lamp sitting by me - lol - and the flight was flawless in family room. When I flew it into the dining room it lost power going by the translucent, but very bright at the moment, door shades.

No TV or energy saving lights in spare bedroom, also the shades are the wooden slats that don't let much light in.
Again, I'd worry about sunlight and line of sight before worrying about electronics and lights interfering. If your lights were an issue, your TV remote wouldn't work either.

I regularly fly my IR copters around my television while watching TV, and have all energy saver fluorescent bulbs throughout the house. No issues at all. In fact, one fluorescent equipped lamp is a favorite landing pad of mine.

Meanwhile if I'm sitting and the copter goes around a corner, into another room, or behind the couch - CRASH. No signal.

Don't get me wrong - anything that produces heat produces IR light, and short wave IR CAN potentially interfere with any IR signals in the room. But it's the last thing I'd check in your case.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:41 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,556 Posts
ArrowHead, Welcome to RCG. I seem to see you in a lot of threads that I visit.

Your understanding on IR signal is generally true, but I have to disagree with you your disagreement with Mike. In my experience, I stand behind everything Mike said. Big screen TV and light sources could drop any IR control RC helicopter, not just the S107G.

IR signals are not very strong signal. They easily get drown out by stronger light sources. The operating principles of these IR toys is similar to a TV remote, but you've got the signal strength backwards. It is the S107 Tx that drowns out the TV remote, not the other way around. You should try it yourself.

There have been reports that the husband is flying helicopter, and the wife could not change a TV channel. Wife has no clue why the TV is not working and the husband is ROTFLAO. Why? TV remote usually has one IR light. S107G has three! I have confirmed this, too.

Conventional wisdom also suggest that IR signal must have a direct line of sight. If you're not point your TV remote control at the TV, it doesn't work. That's not true either. It all depends on the IR signal strength. IR reflects off many surfaces around the house. I could control my TV by pointing at the wall behind me just fine, because the signal is reflected back to the TV.

Conventional wisdom could mislead. Let me ask, could fly your S107G around the corner that you couldn't see (no line of sight)? Or, could you cause its rotor to turn behind a closed door? People's first response is No Way! Try it yourself. I submit to you that they both work (most of the time). Why, because the IR signal is reflecting off the walls around the corner, and the signal is reflecting off the floor under the door's threshold (provided there is a small gap). These are mind twisting results! But if you understand how IR signal works, you won't be surprised at all!

If I were to rank signal strengths, I would say Direct Sunlight > Strong Source > S107 Tx > TV remote.

What you said about 'optimal performance' is correct. Have you try flying the S107 at dusk outdoor? With the absence of sunlight, the S107 should work as well as indoor? Not true. In general, there is not enough reflecting surfaces out in the open as you are inside of the house. I NEVER point my Tx at the S107 when I'm flying the S107 indoor. The signal will get to it by reflection. But once outside, I have to point the Tx at the S107 at all times, or it drops.

You guys out there, feel free to test any of my suggestions. You'd have fun doing it.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:47 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
Again, I'd worry about sunlight and line of sight before worrying about electronics and lights interfering. If your lights were an issue, your TV remote wouldn't work either.

I regularly fly my IR copters around my television while watching TV, and have all energy saver fluorescent bulbs throughout the house. No issues at all. In fact, one fluorescent equipped lamp is a favorite landing pad of mine.

Meanwhile if I'm sitting and the copter goes around a corner, into another room, or behind the couch - CRASH. No signal.

Don't get me wrong - anything that produces heat produces IR light, and short wave IR CAN potentially interfere with any IR signals in the room. But it's the last thing I'd check in your case.
That depends on which TV and which light. I can't explain every case. But I used to have a TV room with a certain fluorescent lamp. When the lamp is on, I can't change the channel. As soon as I turn the lamp off, the TV remote will work again. I could demonstrate this all day long like a repeatable science experiment. So, I know it is true.

Does all brand/model do the same thing? NO. Some brand/model does not interfere.

So, while I'm not denying your claim that you could fly in front of your TV and with your lamp on, you can't claim that if couldn't happen to other people.

I could fly fine in my room with my TV on and with my energy saving lamps on. They do not bother my S107. But if you hear the reports that are coming in, you know that they have that certain TV or lamps. You make the suggestion, their problems go away. It's true!
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:53 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
ArrowHead, Welcome to RCG. I seem to see you in a lot of threads that I visit

Yes. I get the feeling we share many of the same toys. lol.

You've helped me a great deal over the last few days. Both new and old posts.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:01 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Conventional wisdom also suggest that IR signal must have a direct line of sight. If you're not point your TV remote control at the TV, it doesn't work. That's not true either. It all depends on the IR signal strength. IR reflects off many surfaces around the house. I could control my TV by pointing at the wall behind me just fine, because the signal is reflected back to the TV.
That's not conventional wisdom at all. A wave is either absorbed, or reflected. (deflection, diffusion, or diffraction all being ways of reflecting.)

Depending on the surface, in other words, not only can the signal be reflected but it can spread outwards in multiple directions. And contradictorily, it can also be absorbed and not reflected at all. This is why you can bounce the remote off the rear wall without issue, but cannot do the same off your couch cushions. (unless they're reflective, like leather or plastic).

In short, it's why I can fly behind the t.v. or around the corner towards the kitchen, but if I fly through a doorway and to the side I immediately lose control. Suddenly I've gone from a bank-shot to masse, so to speak. There's far less chance of any bouncing waves making it through the door, and still towards the copter even less.

We seem to agree, for the most part. I don't see the TV or lights being an issue. I mean, the whole impetus for my getting into these copters was watching a kid a Best Buy fly one around the store. That's fluorescent and television hell in there.

Admittedly, I'm no expert on IR waves. As a musician, I've spent more of my life treating rooms for soundwaves, and chasing 60 cycle hum from lights. As far as copters, my experience is all of a week.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:04 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
That depends on which TV and which light. I can't explain every case. But I used to have a TV room with a certain fluorescent lamp. When the lamp is on, I can't change the channel. As soon as I turn the lamp off, the TV remote will work again. I could demonstrate this all day long like a repeatable science experiment. So, I know it is true.
Again - might not have been the fluorescent bulb causing your issue. It might have been producing a ton of heat. The actual source of IR waves.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,556 Posts
Quote:
Again - might not have been the fluorescent bulb causing your issue. It might have been producing a ton of heat. The actual source of IR waves.

I'm telling you... It's my fluorescent lamp! It drove me crazy for days, thinking that there was a problem with my TV, changing remote batteries checking my IR lights, etc. Through the process of elimination, I finally narrowed it down to a single lamp in the room. Lights on, TV remote no workie. Lights off, everything went back to normal. I could repeat the experiment as long as I want to, that is, until I change the bulb out. So, it wasn't the "lamp" it was just the fluorescent bulb. I wish I still have it and I would make a video of it for you. But I don't have it any more. I think MajorAward bought it. LOL

Like yourself, I'm no rocket scientist, but I can be analytical and scientific. That was the first time I observed first hand what fluorescent lamp could do to IR remote.

Carpet may not reflect IR as well as other surface, but even carpet reflect IR! When I did the "behind closed door experiment", there was just a slit between carpet and bottom of door, and my S107 spun up behind closed door. I doubt that I could fly it. But no one would believe that I could even get the rotors to turn, until I show them. Is a good way to win a bet, folks!
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:08 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
That's crazy, but I'd believe it. But in general if a remote control will work in the room, the copter will. As you said, it's more likely for the copter to splash the remote, not the other way around.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:18 PM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
I've crashed enough times to ask: were the skid marks from the copter? Or from s#%!#ing yourself when you saw it headed for the computer?
Actually the computer was sitting on my lap at the time (or a perilous canyon) as the heli was in a dangerous maneuver and the heater came on (a south wind came up) and dashed it against the canyon wall (laptop screen). So the answer is the tips are a little shorter...it happened so fast I had no time to s#% myself...and I'm sticking to that story.
majoraward is offline Find More Posts by majoraward
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:44 PM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Let there Not be Light

The light is a florescent bulb that is in the lamp next to where I am sitting.

Feit Electric 18w 120 vac 60 hz 300 ma
UL #E170906
BPESL18TM

I tested it with the light on and off a few more times and it works fine without the light on and drops when it is on but not always in the same place.

Now to test the TV and remotes....
majoraward is offline Find More Posts by majoraward
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,556 Posts
I remember my lamp had the big round (donuts shape) bulb. And it had higher wattage than the compact spirals. Perhaps, that was the reason. I now have the compact spirals and they are not as bad.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:34 PM
Joined Jan 2013
67 Posts
I non' knw if I should post on here on on page I saw it ,but wanted to know of Killbucket allso try one like mine. Killbucket posted he had a hello just like one someone else had but from a different manufacturer? Said it was from Jin Fei Hu and was trash and wouldn't ever get another.
I compared Killbucket's to one I have. It is exatly like one I have! Mine is a Yiboo UJ300 I bought in a mall. The painting and eerything is the same! Only thing different is decals, mine does'nt have s026 , but says Yiboo then under that it has upgrade version. My is down after 2 days since the charger stoped working. I was able to get it up about 3 feet,( New guy here and first helli so did not try much else other then back and forth since this hello is 30' lond) but it did seem to do really good for the little bit that I tried. Any thoughts anyone?

Ji fei hu
fishandflying is offline Find More Posts by fishandflying
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined Jan 2013
67 Posts
skip the Ji fei hu at bottem of last post of mine
thanks, Bob
fishandflying is offline Find More Posts by fishandflying