HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:02 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,178 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. After trying a few mods, I came to the conclusion that I leave it mostly stock.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:21 PM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,769 Posts
107g and 108g

I love my V911 4-CH FP helis, but I thought I'd give the Syma 3-CH a try for those sit back and relaxing indoor winter day flight sessions. I now have a Syma 107g and a Syma 108g (Marine Cobra). I was having second thoughts after I hit the "buy" button, but now have an ear to ear grin after receiving these little gems a couple of days ago. All the hype I've been reading about here turns out to be true! I can't believe how stable, durable and well built the 107 and 108 are! I paid $25 each, SHIPPED and couldn't be more pleased. IMO, money well spent!

EDIT: Curiously enough, the 107g came without the throttle spring, whereas the 108g had the spring (which I promptly removed).
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:18 PM
Joined Jan 2013
67 Posts
Thanks for all you understanding

Thanks everyone, hate to go off couse.
HeliPad, Here is where my orders are standing
Jan. 4th - jan 9th One 240 mah battery, two stock 150 mah battery

Jan. 5th syma s107 wall charger and spare blades ect
Jan. 8th s026 chinook
Jan. 24th- Feb 11th blades for o26

Question, Is this the thread or can anyone remeber the thread for a post about doing mod. for front and rear rotos hitting on 026? 800 pages is a lot so if you don't I, understand. I did read it someplace but so far have'nt been able to find it since. I use to be able to spell
fishandflying is offline Find More Posts by fishandflying
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:28 PM
Joined Jan 2013
67 Posts
Forgot to put brain in gear. Wanted to post this on the s026 thread
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:41 AM
still learning
The Netherlands, ZH, Lekkerkerk
Joined Aug 2010
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by x777x View Post
Guys

is it good to upgrade batteries or any other mods on the s107 or just leave as stock
Some people tried bigger batteries to achieve more fly-time. This mostly doesn't succeed because those batteries are havier. To carry the havier battery shortens the fly-time To compensate for this the chopter needs to loose weight. Some drill holes, abandon the tail-decoration and the side-bars along the tail-boom. Or even dispose the landing-gear. There is a guy selling a complete frame made from carbon; very nice and lightweight. And there seems to be a small weight in the canopy for balance. So a lot can be done, some at a price and it can get your heli out of balance so it keeps flying without throttle and we don't have any trims on the remote
I haven't done any of these things myself (yet).
C4Vette is offline Find More Posts by C4Vette
Last edited by C4Vette; Jan 04, 2013 at 12:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:17 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishandflying View Post
Thanks everyone, hate to go off couse.
HeliPad, Here is where my orders are standing
Jan. 4th - jan 9th One 240 mah battery, two stock 150 mah battery

Jan. 5th syma s107 wall charger and spare blades ect
Jan. 8th s026 chinook
Jan. 24th- Feb 11th blades for o26

Question, Is this the thread or can anyone remeber the thread for a post about doing mod. for front and rear rotos hitting on 026? 800 pages is a lot so if you don't I, understand. I did read it someplace but so far have'nt been able to find it since. I use to be able to spell
You Santa is taking the scenic route. But you'll be a happy kid.

I was not aware of the S026 rotors hitting each other. Never happened to me. But you'd better ask the S026 in its own thread.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:45 AM
Joined Dec 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by x777x View Post
Guys

is it good to upgrade batteries or any other mods on the s107 or just leave as stock
to be honest you will get more out of a weight reduction than and bigger battery.

i removed a ton of stuff over a few different mods and my s107 easily has double the flying time it had over stock now. not mention its 3 times faster in every direction and much easier to control.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12404
l2ob is offline Find More Posts by l2ob
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Questions

I feel like I'm about 2 years late purchasing my Syma S107 (and coming to this thread), actually my wife bought it for me off my Amazon wish list for Christmas, but now I have it!

I was going to ask some important question here so I registered then decided to fly it instead of asking the question, it could of course wait until after the flight. It crashed into my laptop screen (I will have to talk to the tiny pilot about that) and have been spending the last few minutes taking the skid like marks off the screen.

Now I remember, it was 2 questions.

1. Since the Syma S107 is over 2 years old now is there another one out there that is better by now that I should buy so I am not 2 years behind again?

2. I wish I could zap this zillion+ pages into my brain like the Matrix movie plug to the back of the brain thing so I could know if this has been asked before but...I have this strange thing happening with the S107. When I fly it within the family room, dining room, kitchen area it will suddenly lose power and drop to the ground for no reason at all that I can see and then it will fly again for awhile okay until the next time it happens...

If I take it into the spare bedroom it flies perfectly. Is it because the electronics of the TV and/or electronics in the other rooms are messing with it somehow? Could it be something to do with the configuration of the ceiling or the room layout? The spare bedroom has no electronics and a flat sloping ceiling.

...and no I don't want to fly it in the spare bedroom lol
majoraward is offline Find More Posts by majoraward
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:00 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,914 Posts
Welcome to RCG major. Yeah the TV, very bright lights and especially sunlight will drop the 107 right out of the sky.

I don't think they changed the model as much as the paint scheme for the canopy. So to answer your question, I'm sure I have what you have. Mine is a year and a half old. Heli Pad will know more about that.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:26 AM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Welcome to RCG major. Yeah the TV, very bright lights and especially sunlight will drop the 107 right out of the sky.

Mike.
Mike,

Thanks. Must be the TV then. It was driving me crazy not knowing what was going on.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:48 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,178 Posts
MA, welcome to RCG. Better late than never. Amazingly, after 2 years, I still consider the S107G, and several of its siblings, best in class. No one else have come close to dethrone it in terms of performance, support and price. So, you still have the best.

While these IR controlled model is great indoor, strong light source is their Kryptonite. These light sources could be direct sunlight, light from a big screen TV, or just an innocent looking fluorescent lamp. The S107G is immune to wireless transmission. But if yours is dropping out of the sky, I would first turn off the TV. You should be fly close to that big screen in the first place, for reasons that you've experienced with your laptop. Next, ask yourself if you are using energy saving fluorescent bulbs in these room. Are you using them in the spare bedroom? Where there is a strong presence of fluorescence, you just might have to point the Tx at the S107G and track it closer than other places. IR is great in reflecting off things like ceiling, walls, and furniture. But in the strong presence of fluorescence, it drowns out the IR.

Keep these things in mind and see if you wouldn't have better success. Good luck, and welcome again.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
No one else have come close to dethrone it in terms of performance, support and price. So, you still have the best.
Nice to know it is still the best out there. I also received an Air Hogs havoc for a gift and it has been a nightmare. I am glad I was able to have them at the same time to compare the quality.

The other heli goes all over the place with little control and it spins ccw without the trim button helping. I even twisted the tail as the instructions showed to correct trim and it helped very little. Maybe it is just a lemon, but the difference between the 2 heli's is very apparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I would first turn off the TV....Next, ask yourself if you are using energy saving fluorescent bulbs in these room. Are you using them in the spare bedroom?
Big screen TV off and I also turned off energy saving lamp sitting by me - lol - and the flight was flawless in family room. When I flew it into the dining room it lost power going by the translucent, but very bright at the moment, door shades.

No TV or energy saving lights in spare bedroom, also the shades are the wooden slats that don't let much light in.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,178 Posts
There, I think you are understanding the "operating conditions" very well.

Next time when you fly by that dining room door, put sun glasses on the S107 and see if that helps. I'm kidding of course.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:33 PM
Joined Jan 2013
67 Posts
Originally Posted by x777x
Guys

Wow! I plan to do what 12ob has done on his, After I get really good on my s0107.I know, I'm getting ahead of my self since I won't be getting my first heli till tomorrow. NICE job 12ob! That is one NICE 107!!
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:01 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoraward View Post
and have been spending the last few minutes taking the skid like marks off the screen.
I've crashed enough times to ask: were the skid marks from the copter? Or from s#%!#ing yourself when you saw it headed for the computer?
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead