HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:11 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2012
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ob View Post
thanks!

got bored today and figured id do some more weight reduction. im sure im not the first to attempt anything like this but pics are always fun, right?

- re-soldered all connections, got rid of excessive solder blobs and trimmed excess wire

- swiss cheesed the Aluminum frame pieces and also drilled holes in the plastic pieces anywhere it would not affect the function of the part.

cut about 1/3 off of the weights on the top spiny thing and sanded each end with 2000 grit sand paper till it was perfectly balanced

this thing climbs to the ceiling now with less than 50% throttle. seems to last almost 2 times as long as before on one charge. its now balanced with a slight forward creep during flight which i kind like.
Nice Mods John! Can't wait to try it on mine!
Evercopter4 is offline Find More Posts by Evercopter4
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:35 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtb View Post
Got my son an S107 for Xmas...both of us are enjoying it immensely. We were flying it earlier this evening and it stopped responding to the transmitter. Did the the on/off thing on helicopter and transmitter, then did a full recharge of the helicopter battery via USB on the computer.

I get a solid green light on the transmitter and when holding it in front of a digital camera you can see that the IR transmitters are flashing. The helicopter LED flashes alternating blue and red. No other indicator lights and zero response to the transmitter.

Transmitter batteries are new and not used to recharge the helicopter. It was working great until earlier this evening -- now nothing.

Anyone else had this problem and found a way to fix it short of sending in for repair or replacement? Thanks in advance for any advice.

(Yes I have searched various forums and google with no answers)
WELCOME to RCG! First, let me say, you did pretty good. You checked many of the things that a 1st time poster would have missed, such as checking the IR signal, recharging the battery, etc. Good job.

I have one question for you. What is the on-board LED doing? By that I don't mean the red/blue flashing LED in the nose. I mean the Greed LED on the main PCB of the helicopter, locating near the rear left corner. Is it steady, or is it flashing?

Try this: Turn on the helicopter, notice that the above Green LED is flashing. Set the helicopter down on a stable surface and wait a few seconds until that green LED glow solid. Now try flying the helicopter and let us know if you have any success.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:10 AM
Minister of the Obvious
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
WELCOME to RCG! First, let me say, you did pretty good. You checked many of the things that a 1st time poster would have missed, such as checking the IR signal, recharging the battery, etc. Good job.

I have one question for you. What is the on-board LED doing? By that I don't mean the red/blue flashing LED in the nose. I mean the Greed LED on the main PCB of the helicopter, locating near the rear left corner. Is it steady, or is it flashing?

Try this: Turn on the helicopter, notice that the above Green LED is flashing. Set the helicopter down on a stable surface and wait a few seconds until that green LED glow solid. Now try flying the helicopter and let us know if you have any success.
Thanks very much for the warm welcome and quick reply!

When I turn on the helicopter (and the transmitter), I do not see any green LED's at all on the PCB. I pulled off the body to take a better look and confirm that no green LED either blinks nor glows steadily on the PCB board near the rear left corner.

Bummer. We've been having lots of fun with this (to the point I want a second so that we can fly together).
brandtb is offline Find More Posts by brandtb
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,332 Posts
Hmmm, that's not a good sign. First, please verify that it says "S107R5" on the PCB. Your photo just missed that part. So that, we know we are talking about the same board with the same behavior. The S107R5 should have a green LED at the location of your picture. Looking at the picture, I'm not sure that there isn't. But it is not lit.

Next step. I know you've charged the battery. Regardless of that, I'd like you to check the healthiness of the battery. Remove the canopy and trace the battery red/black leads to the front corners of the PCB. Use a meter to read off the voltage for me. If it is close to 4.0v, your battery is in good shape. If it is below 3.4v, we have a problem.

Also visually inspect if the battery is puffed up. Use your fingers to squeeze on it and see if you could feel a air pocket inside of it.

I'm gonna be busy the next few hours. I'll check in with you later in the day.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:58 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,704 Posts
Quote:

When I turn on the helicopter (and the transmitter), I do not see any green LED's at all on the PCB. I pulled off the body to take a better look and confirm that no green LED either blinks nor glows steadily on the PCB board near the rear left corner.

Bummer. We've been having lots of fun with this (to the point I want a second so that we can fly together).
This is where the green LED is situated on the PCB

John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:31 PM
Minister of the Obvious
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Hmmm, that's not a good sign. First, please verify that it says "S107R5" on the PCB. Your photo just missed that part. So that, we know we are talking about the same board with the same behavior. The S107R5 should have a green LED at the location of your picture. Looking at the picture, I'm not sure that there isn't. But it is not lit.

Next step. I know you've charged the battery. Regardless of that, I'd like you to check the healthiness of the battery. Remove the canopy and trace the battery red/black leads to the front corners of the PCB. Use a meter to read off the voltage for me. If it is close to 4.0v, your battery is in good shape. If it is below 3.4v, we have a problem.

Also visually inspect if the battery is puffed up. Use your fingers to squeeze on it and see if you could feel a air pocket inside of it.

I'm gonna be busy the next few hours. I'll check in with you later in the day.
The battery is reading about 4.2v. I took the reading from the battery itself by sliding my custom probes (thin solid core wire with alligator clips attached to the meter's probes that slides nicely in with the battery wires). It does not appear or feel puffy. Thanks again for the advice!
brandtb is offline Find More Posts by brandtb
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,332 Posts
Wow, 4.2v is a full charge for a Lipo. The battery sounds healthy. Front LED is working, so the power got through the board. I must admit, I've not encounter this particular situation. It appears that part of that board has failed, the start-up initialization did not complete. Therefore, there is no response. Short of replacing the board, I don't know how to fix this. Anyone else?

Do you have the option of returning or exchanging this sample? If so, I would take it if I were you. This is a very unusual problem.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2012
12 Posts
if your handy you could tear it down to get a look at the board.

mine had some pretty bad soldering and i had one short that wasnt intended. it was caused by a blob of solder. i removed the blob and got almost 25% more flying time. it must have been causing the batt to drain or somthing.

anyway you could check to see if all the wires are connected etc. worth a shot.
l2ob is offline Find More Posts by l2ob
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:45 PM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2005
1 Posts
Bad transmitter?

I have had a transmitter fail, and it gives no indication, as the green battery status light was still on. When I tried a different transmitter on the same bird it worked fine and the failed transmitter would not work on other 107's. Good thing they are inexpensive - just buy another one and have two to fly with the new transmitter.
MNRooster is offline Find More Posts by MNRooster
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
same here abbygale

i am having the identical problem,i emailed manufac. they said dont overcharge battery,let battery completely run out before charging.i cant see any other issue.
bosstime is offline Find More Posts by bosstime
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
my heli problem

Quote:

my heli was doing great,but now when it goes airborne it seems to spin out and crash,i checked it and it looks fine,tightned all screws.any ideas?
bosstime is offline Find More Posts by bosstime
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:24 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstime View Post
i am having the identical problem,i emailed manufac. they said dont overcharge battery,let battery completely run out before charging.i cant see any other issue.
Welcome to RCG bosstime.

DON'T let the battery run down completely. That person should be shot for giving you such info. This is not the way a lipo should be treated, although some would disagree on "these" particular helis. Time your flights to about 5 or 6 minutes. FWIW, I time all my flights to 5 minutes.

Transmitters: A few things to check. Fresh batts of course. Make sure all batteries are making good contact inside the compartment. Some people add a bit of tin foil between batts, especially if the "+" nub is short or stubby. Some people (like myself) use plastic friendly lube on those white plastic tabs so they don't bind for a better contact. Some even remove those white plastic tabs.

Now that you are certain of a good battery connection and you are still having trouble. Turn the TX on. Give it full throttle and then back down to zero (do this with heli off); next, turn on heli. The next possible fix that I know of but never had to do is filing the throttle pot down so the throttle stick goes "completely" to zero. Sometimes there is some plastic slag preventing the throttle stick to return to zero.

BTW, who the heck is "abbygale"

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Last edited by Chap1012; Dec 31, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,332 Posts
Mike, re: Abbygayle, look back a couple of pages. She's a new member.

Bosstime, same thing I suggested to Abbygayle, read up my blog on Pivot pins. I think it has a lot to do with your helicopter spinning out and crashing.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:35 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,115 Posts
Oh, ok. Thanks Heli
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,332 Posts
NP. This S107 thread has been pickup speed - the after Christmas rush. Same thing happened last year, remember? You blink, and a couple of pages pass you by. LOL.