Nice flying! Dollar per fun factor, these can't be beat
deeve is offline Find More Posts by deeve
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
13x
United States, ID, Malad City
Joined Dec 2012
112 Posts
Hi all new here and new to flying. Ive got what i belive is a s107 clone. It came in a plastic hinged box with the controler clipped to the side. Its labeled ls-model and what i can find on the net its a ls-222. So is it an s107 clone? Thanks
13x is offline Find More Posts by 13x
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:25 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,360 Posts
13x, Welcome to RCG. The LS-222 may have some resemblance to the S107, but it is quite a different bird. I haven't had the pleasure to fly one, and I hope that it flies very well. The packaging is unique. I wonder how the remote feels when it is held in hands. Happy flights, and happy New Year.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:26 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13x View Post
Hi all new here and new to flying. Ive got what i belive is a s107 clone. It came in a plastic hinged box with the controler clipped to the side. Its labeled ls-model and what i can find on the net its a ls-222. So is it an s107 clone? Thanks
Hi,
I would not say you have a Syma clone as it does not pretend to be the S107.

You have one whose design is based on the looks of the S107 but as it comes in a completely different box, which is very nice, it is just another 3ch heli that has been put on the market.

cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Dec 2012
12 Posts
parts?

ive read maybe 100 of the pages in this thread and have found a ton of useful info. thanks to everyone for that!

one question tho. best place to buy replacement parts?

i already have a dead tail motor (part failure) and possibly a failing bottom rotor motor (feels not smooth when rotating but gears are 100% fine).

been looking on ebay, amazon, and other random sites through out the web but before pulling the trigger on anything i wanted to get your guys opinion on where to buy parts that typically wear out or fail often.

i understand this is a "cheap" heli but if i can find any "premium" parts as in upgrades to OEM that would be nice too. brushless motors etc?

i plan to do some serious weight reduction to this lil guy. i already ordered the basic carbon fiber frame from www.carbonfibers107.com and have done some basic cutting/drilling of the unnecessary weight/rotating mass etc.

the "free" mods make this lil guy dramatically different in every way, so i cant wait to do more!
l2ob is offline Find More Posts by l2ob
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ob View Post
ive read maybe 100 of the pages in this thread and have found a ton of useful info. thanks to everyone for that!

one question tho. best place to buy replacement parts?

i already have a dead tail motor (part failure) and possibly a failing bottom rotor motor (feels not smooth when rotating but gears are 100% fine).

been looking on ebay, amazon, and other random sites through out the web but before pulling the trigger on anything i wanted to get your guys opinion on where to buy parts that typically wear out or fail often.

i understand this is a "cheap" heli but if i can find any "premium" parts as in upgrades to OEM that would be nice too. brushless motors etc?

i plan to do some serious weight reduction to this lil guy. i already ordered the basic carbon fiber frame from www.carbonfibers107.com and have done some basic cutting/drilling of the unnecessary weight/rotating mass etc.

the "free" mods make this lil guy dramatically different in every way, so i cant wait to do more!
Hi and Welcome to a new sport
banggood.com has the helicopter for $18.99, as well as all spare parts, almost all with free shipping. An entire spare helicopter or 2 is a wise method of stocking up on parts, but motors and blades are in my spare parts box too.
I wouldn't get too excited about a lot of hop ups and mods for this type of helicopter. Brushless motors aren't small enough yet for this kind of application, and prices are not cost effective. For a few bucks more you can get into real 4 channel 2.4 gHz radio controlled fixed pitch heli's like the Horizon Hobby/Blade mSR or it's MUCH faster flybarless brother , the mSR X, or some knockoffs like the Xieda 9958 or WL V911. These 4 channel fixed pitch heli's are much quicker, more maneuverable, and can fly indoors or out.

The Syma S107 is a great easy to master and stable indoor only flyer, the coaxial design assures that, but it will never match the speed or flying abilities of a good 4 channel heli. Some people start and stay with the little infrared coaxials, but the way you are already talking of modding and hopups, I get the feeling that you will grow out of the 3 channel indoor only helicopters.

Have Fun
John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,360 Posts
Battery Quick Change System

About a year ago, my buddy, Daryoon and I worked on a battery quick change system that we are still using today. We made a post then, but it is buried deep in the thread.

I have just made a new blog entry, since someone else was asking about it. It makes it a lot easier to find and reference to. I figure after Christmas, there might be a renewed interest about the mod since there are so many new pilots. If you're interested, please go to my blog HERE and let Daryoon and I know what you think.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:13 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
About a year ago, my buddy, Daryoon and I worked on a battery quick change system that we are still using today. We made a post then, but it is buried deep in the thread.

I have just made a new blog entry, since someone else was asking about it. It makes it a lot easier to find and reference to. I figure after Christmas, there might be a renewed interest about the mod since there are so many new pilots. If you're interested, please go to my blog HERE and let Daryoon and I know what you think.
I see you have the OCP in line and heat shrunk. If you are charging your 150mah (or whatever) batts via smart charger, why the OCP? All that does is protect the stock batt from an over charge right?

BTW, nice mod worth revisiting. I just may go that route. I assume my 160mah/25C Thunder Power would work ok????

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
United States, FL, Edgewater
Joined Nov 2010
149 Posts
Can Some one please help me! I have a yellow S107. I thought I was being smart and lubed the gears. After which the copter will hover but when turned will spin way too fast leaving it uncontrollable. Can someone please direct me how to remedy this? Will I need to dis assemble it and thoroughly clean all lube off of gears?
no1isnormal is offline Find More Posts by no1isnormal
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,360 Posts
Good question, Mike. Let me clarify. I usually charge a handful of hobby grade batteries using my smart charger and just swap them for back to back flights.

The OCP is preserved because I want to preserve the stock setup of the S107. With it there, even if I have a hobby grade battery inside, I could still charge it using the simple stock USB cable.

It's just an added option, and a protection in case my S107 is ever loaned out to someone to play and that individual may not have a smart charger, or when I'm so desperate that I need to recharge it in the car with the USB charger.

The OCP weights like 0.3g. So, I leave it in there.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1isnormal View Post
Can Some one please help me! I have a yellow S107. I thought I was being smart and lubed the gears. After which the copter will hover but when turned will spin way too fast leaving it uncontrollable. Can someone please direct me how to remedy this? Will I need to dis assemble it and thoroughly clean all lube off of gears?
This is a case of "less is more" or "if it ain't broken..." Sorry!

I have lubed my, not excessively, and it is flying okay. I think you might have caused something to slip, or perhaps something else happened and it's not related to the lube you added. The best thing you could do, if you're set up to do so, is to upload a video for us to see.

Otherwise, stick your little finger, or a top of a pencil into the gears to hold it still. With another hand, GENTLY turn the rotors to see if they move. They shouldn't! So, don't force it. I'm trying to help you determine if the gears are slipping. Similar, pulse the motor ever so BRIEFLY to see if the motor turns. Again with the gears fixed, they shouldn't. Otherwise, something is slipping or not meshing. Then follow that path to find the problem.

I'd be very interested to see what you meant by spinning too fast. I have a feeling that you were just trying to tell me that your helicopter is spinning like a top. In that case, click on my blog and read the section that says "My S107 has no lift".
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Nov 2010
149 Posts
The copter will take off and hover, yet it will not turn right or left without spinning fast. It basically has no left or right control. when control is inputted it spins that direction fast, not slow like before. and the trim is very hard to dial in. Everything is tight with the gears(nothing loose or stripped). I cannot find how to upload a video right now.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,360 Posts
I believe you have stumped me! Your S107 takes off and hovers fine. But any left/right rudder input would send it spinning fast in that direction? Wow! I don't know. Anyone else?

I don't think lube on the moving parts would have that effect. Could he have shorted the electronics/gyro and now the head holding is next to zero? I really don't know and I would kill to see that video.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Nov 2010
149 Posts
I have a video if you'd like I could send it to your e-mail. PM me your info and i'll send it over to you.

I think I will disassemble and clean and report back the results. This little heli was very fun before my tinkering.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
problem

Fun chopper! Love this forum. Here's my problem. Maybe had a few too many wrecks. Only on day three. Thinking i might have a part that needs replaced, but not sure which one.
Problem: When I go up in the air, chopper starts swaying back and forth like it just got hit by gunfire and is about to go down out of control.
1. My tail vertical fin is not completely vertical. It sticks out just a bit to the the side. I can't remember if this was normal or maybe I bent it. Could this be a problem?
2. Maybe its unbalanced? After a few seconds in the air one of the sets of top props hit each other and the chopper goes down. (They don't hit each other while they are going and it just sits on the ground however).
Any ideas on what I should tackle first here? Thanks.
abbygayle is offline Find More Posts by abbygayle