Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:17 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortfellow View Post
Well it looks like the MCX2 is the overwhelming favorite. Thanks guys. Vince
+1

If you decide you would like to experiment with modeling, there are a ton of options for the MCX2. Click on my avatar to go visit my blog. I've got two posts that describe a couple of different MCX2 projects that I've done. There are links to other MCX2 owner blogs that have done some cool additions/modifications to theirs.

Of course, it's a wonderful stock helicopter so definitely enjoy it right out of the box for a while before trying any modding.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
Hey I got a s107g clone (as seen here) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...41&postcount=8

Flys great. I decided to try removing the support bars, and winglets/fins. And I see it flys faster forward, but I did not like losing the ability to hover. Is that a trade off of removing weight for being faster? Maybe a picooz tail blade would be a better solution for me?
hypertek is offline Find More Posts by hypertek
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:34 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,496 Posts
Yes, you are discovering the trade-offs there. Some people would sacrifice a lot for speed. Personally, I wouldn't. I like my S107 stable and precise. Sure, you could take some less functional parts off to lose weight, but you must try to balance the diet.

Genuine S107 has a small piece of weight (0.4g) in the canopy near the light. If yours have it, you could remove that to balance things out a little. Try moving the battery as far back as your could.

The picooz tail blade is asymmetrical. While it gives a lot of thrust in one direction, it doesn't have nearly the thrust in the other direction. Again, it is only useful if you want speed. You won't be able to do reverse flight any more with that mod.

So, unless you have a crave for speed, my advice is to keep your S107 pretty stock, remove some minor weights and that's about it.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply, yeah I may keep her towards stock, though I did order a 240mah battery on ebay last night. I kinda like slower precise control over speed lol
hypertek is offline Find More Posts by hypertek
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,496 Posts
Well, the 240mAh is heavier and it's going to be nose heavy. You're gonna further lose the CoG battle. I have a 100mAh on its way. I want to try just the opposite.

I'm thinking if I lose weight on the battery, I could maintain the CoG by losing weight on the tail. My helicopter would be lighter, yet pretty stock looking. Because of the lighter weight, I might not lose too much flight time, and it is easier on the motors.

Most people opt for the bigger battery, I didn't see much improvement. So now, I'm going the opposite direction.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:40 AM
still learning
The Netherlands, ZH, Lekkerkerk
Joined Aug 2010
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Most people opt for the bigger battery, I didn't see much improvement. So now, I'm going the opposite direction.
Interesting! I'm curious to hear how that went.
My son and I are 'battling' our s107's: pushing each other down by passing over each other. Fun!
The other day we noticed that on one of them the LED in the nose only blinks red instead of red-blue etc. And the next time it was ok again Not important of course.
C4Vette is offline Find More Posts by C4Vette
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Aug 2012
174 Posts
What do you guys use for a little weight in the front? Mine wants to go backwards just a touch.
Iplumb is offline Find More Posts by Iplumb
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Dec 2012
12 Posts
you could try taking off some of the tail decorations first. that should shift the center of gravity forward while also reducing weight.
l2ob is offline Find More Posts by l2ob
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:13 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,266 Posts
Here I took out the nose weight. Lost the winglets/hardware. As a result, it was much faster forward. Too fast really! Notice I moved the skids as far back as I could go and added some fishing lure tubing (split) to the boom. I kept trimming off tubing until I got the right, perfect hover. She is still quite fast in both directions and seems to have a more perky lift.

@Heli Pad I like your thinking with the smaller batt. You go Bro. Good luck

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:23 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
HI all, FWIW, I installed a Picooz tail blade on an otherwise stock S107G . It still does go backward but it's definitely slower than what it can do going forward. It's kind of like going reverse in a car where you've essentially got one gear rather than the 4-6 that you have for going forward.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,496 Posts
Didn't mean to draw so much attention on myself. Me and my big mouth! The 100mAh is still on a slow boat here. But I've got a line of people wanting to know the results.

It does not have a overcharge protection circuit, so I will have to solder one on. It's not a mod for the faintest of hearts. But when it arrives, I will give it a go and report back.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Didn't mean to draw so much attention on myself. Me and my big mouth! The 100mAh is still on a slow boat here. But I've got a line of people wanting to know the results.

It does not have a overcharge protection circuit, so I will have to solder one on. It's not a mod for the faintest of hearts. But when it arrives, I will give it a go and report back.
Take some pics,,,... beginning to end
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:41 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,252 Posts
Got a new camcorder for Christmas, so a new video of my yellow Syma S107g.

YELSYMAS107G HJH (1 min 49 sec)
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,266 Posts
Jake, nice vid. Looked very sharp. Like HD. It looks like you own my brother..lol. Nice flying,,..almost like a 4ch. like me

Mike.