HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:12 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,744 Posts
Sure thing, Pilgrim. Merry Christmas to you and your friend.

TSquare, you were right. Some Tx cases do require trimming. That is something to check for. However, I still a little bit puzzled. If the throttle is truly stuck or could not return to zero, it will explain the flashing LED. But with a flashing LED, it will prevent the Tx from arming the Rx. And the helicopter would not fly at all. So, there must be an intermittent case of sticking at full throttle. I'm thinking of a short in the Tx.

I know I did say open up the Tx and clean contacts. But on 2nd thought, I don't think you could do much to clean it. The pot that controls the throttle is one piece. But at least inspect and see if there is any visible problem that could lead to a short.

Otherwise, put a note in the classified section. That's gotta be a ton of unused Tx for the S107 out there.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Aug 2005
56 Posts
Pinion Gear Repair

The pinion gear on the front motor is slipping on the motor shaft. Found this as the heli lost power. Tried to CA it with no luck. Is there a fix? Does the motor have to come out and the shaft be roughened? What adhesive? OR does the pinion need to be replaced if possible? Thanks
iggy809 is offline Find More Posts by iggy809
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:58 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Nov 2004
186 Posts
Best Place to Buy

Can someone tell me the best and cheapest place online to buy 2 or 3 Syma 107s? Is the Syma 108 that much better? I have never owned one of these so I just need some direction. I presently fly an Mcpx but just want to get a couple of these for the kids.

I live in Wichita, KS

Richard
rnorth is offline Find More Posts by rnorth
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy809 View Post
The pinion gear on the front motor is slipping on the motor shaft. Found this as the heli lost power. Tried to CA it with no luck. Is there a fix? Does the motor have to come out and the shaft be roughened? What adhesive? OR does the pinion need to be replaced if possible? Thanks
The glue should work, especially if you rough up the shaft a bit with emory board or sandpaper. Putting a few tiny pieces of sewing thread in the hole of the plastic pinion gear will also give you a bit tighter grip. All of this is easier if you have the savvy and needed dexterity to strip it down and get the motor out, to work on. The best solution, long term, is to order a new set of Syma S-107 main motors, (they come with new pinion gears) and a tail motor, (a few main blades and tail blades will come in handy too). You will need to be able to strip the copter down and likely do a bit of tiny soldering to change motors. Either desolder at board or just cut and splice away from the main controller board, (preferred) Check Amazon.com for the appropriate parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnorth View Post
Can someone tell me the best and cheapest place online to buy 2 or 3 Syma 107s? Is the Syma 108 that much better? I have never owned one of these so I just need some direction. I presently fly an Mcpx but just want to get a couple of these for the kids. I live in Wichita, KS

Richard

Check Amazon.com they are usually in the ballpark on price and with 2 or 3 ordered, Free Shipping is also likely. Amazon is the most trusted and safe source for many things. For this kind of thing newegg.com is also trustworthy, fast and reasonably priced. Both ship quick from the US.

HOHOHO
Merry Christmas
John In Merrill, WI
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; Dec 18, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnorth View Post
Can someone tell me the best and cheapest place online to buy 2 or 3 Syma 107s? Is the Syma 108 that much better? I have never owned one of these so I just need some direction. I presently fly an Mcpx but just want to get a couple of these for the kids.

I live in Wichita, KS

Richard
If you fly mCPx yourself, you would find the S107 not challenging. But they would be great for the kids. I think the S107G and S108G has comparable performance. I wrote a review on the S108G. Feel free to check my blog here. What is mostly comes down to is whether you like pod and boom better, or military scale. If you like the pod and boom, get the S107. Otherwise, get the S108G.

Since you are in KS and if these are for Christmas presents, you need to hurry. I think you should still be able to get them in time through Amazon. I don't think the other outlets would be a good choice right now. S107G varies from $25 -35. A good alternative to the S107G is the Helizone Firebirds. I have just ordered 2 blue ones for my friends. They are priced just below the S107. Normally, their are about $5 higher. So, these are good deals. The S108G seems to have the best price among all of them and I would not hesitate to get one.

You may also consider the S026G. It's cheaper than all the others. It is a little bit less stable than this siblings, a lot louder, but it has more settings, and could go considerably faster than the other ones, without any mods (because it has forward trim). So, that would be a good choice also.

Happy shopping and Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:06 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Nov 2004
186 Posts
Thanks to all of you who gave their input on where to purchase my first Syma 107g.
I ended up buying the white/gold version of the 107g for $25.00 free shipping from Amazon.
It's suppose to be here before Christmas but I'm not counting on it. Just wanted to have something to denk around on during the holidays.

Thanks
Richard
rnorth is offline Find More Posts by rnorth
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:03 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
If you fly mCPx yourself, you would find the S107 not challenging. But they would be great for the kids. I think the S107G and S108G has comparable performance. I wrote a review on the S108G. Feel free to check my blog here. What is mostly comes down to is whether you like pod and boom better, or military scale. If you like the pod and boom, get the S107. Otherwise, get the S108G.

Since you are in KS and if these are for Christmas presents, you need to hurry. I think you should still be able to get them in time through Amazon. I don't think the other outlets would be a good choice right now. S107G varies from $25 -35. A good alternative to the S107G is the Helizone Firebirds. I have just ordered 2 blue ones for my friends. They are priced just below the S107. Normally, their are about $5 higher. So, these are good deals. The S108G seems to have the best price among all of them and I would not hesitate to get one.

You may also consider the S026G. It's cheaper than all the others. It is a little bit less stable than this siblings, a lot louder, but it has more settings, and could go considerably faster than the other ones, without any mods (because it has forward trim). So, that would be a good choice also.

Happy shopping and Merry Christmas.
I flya the msrx, but still find the S107g very relaxing...sitting laid back on my recliner fly my s107g's.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:19 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Sure thing, Pilgrim. Merry Christmas to you and your friend.
We had a GREAT time - posted on the "did you fly today" thread so I won't repeat myself. I can say that two buddies showed up with their S107's, one red and one blue. The red one did act up briefly - went to full throttle w/o stick input - but still had two good flights.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:46 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
I flya the msrx, but still find the S107g very relaxing...sitting laid back on my recliner fly my s107g's.
True that. There are times late at night when I feel the urge to fly something but I know that in my fatigued state I'll be a danger to myself and my precious helis if I fly anything faster than a coaxial. The little Symas fit that niche very nicely. They get airtime about once a month or so.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:00 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,369 Posts
Nasty outside...so...flying out my recliner just relaxing...

YELLOWSYMAS107G OP (1 min 56 sec)
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Dec 2007
138 Posts
4 channel upgrade

Is there a 4channel mini heli that is as steady as the 107g? It must be mode 2. It doesn't have to be a syma. I have a V911 but it isn't as steady as the 107g.
All suggestions welcome. Vince
shortfellow is offline Find More Posts by shortfellow
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortfellow View Post
Is there a 4channel mini heli that is as steady as the 107g? It must be mode 2. It doesn't have to be a syma. I have a V911 but it isn't as steady as the 107g.
I don't have first hand experience of it, but I read good things about JXD Drift King. You could take a look at it and see if you like it. I think there is a comparison of it and the S800G in the S800G thread.

Found it:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=241

The Drift King could switch from Mode 2 to 4 and back at will.
Last edited by Heli Pad; Dec 22, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:31 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortfellow View Post
Horizon Hobby/ Blade make a couple of 4 channel 2.4 gHZ coaxial helicopters, (mCX and mCX2) that should fly pretty much like an S-107 infrared. They still won't be great in windy conditions, but as 2.4 gHZ real radio controlled heli's, they can fly outdoors or indoors. Most good Hobby shops will carry them, but you can look at them on the Horizon website here http://www.horizonhobby.com/browse/p...inner-10000987

Happy Flying and Merry Christmas

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:34 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Horizon Hobby/ Blade makes a couple of 4 channel 2.4 gHZ coaxial helicopters, (mCX and mCX2) that should fly pretty much like an S-107 infrared. They still won't be great in windy conditions, but as 2.4 gHZ real radio controlled heli's, they can fly outdoors or indoors. Most good Hobby shops will carry them, but you can look at them on the Horizon website here http://www.horizonhobby.com/browse/p...inner-10000987

Happy Flying and Merry Christmas

John in Merrill
+1 - I didn't know ANYTHING about rc when I got my first heli. It was only later that I found out what a huge difference there is btwn 3- and 4-channel helis and planes, so It was a pure stroke of luck that I picked up an MCX2 first.

It can't handle any kind of wind; the slightest zephyr will carry it away. However, the lights make it a blast to fly outside after dark. I've flown it off my patio as far away as 100' and as high as 40' at night.

It will handle larger batteries but the Thunder Power 160's deliver solid 5-minute flights and mine have lasted for more than 18 months now.

Merry Christmas and happy flying!
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:37 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,897 Posts
I also started with a S107G. Loved it and got a few more 3ch models. Then after talking to a few of the great folks who frequent RCGroups, I got an MCX2. It was a whole new world for me. The MCX2 felt lighter and much more fragile than the S107G at first but after I got it up in the air, the performance of the MCX2 was simply amazing. Once you're done with 3chs, a 4ch coaxial is a nice easy "step up".
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member