187 Posts
The Latest member to the fleet..
Getto Bird is offline Find More Posts by Getto Bird
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:43 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,557 Posts
How many do you have now? Just trying to see if you need intervention.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:30 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
If I were in the UK, I would definitely take a look at your bird for you. But shipping cost out of the country is prohibitive. If you want to upload a video of what it is doing, I'd still be happy to share my thoughts with you. It might not be as bad as you thought it is.
HP, where do you live anyway (just the general region)?

I have a several 3.5 and 4-ch helicopters I know I'll never fix.

Two are S107G's. One is NIB, but it simply doesn't work, it never did (it's not the Tx - I tried several different transmitters. It's something in the bird.

One has been flown exactly two times. I've never heard of this before, and I have absolutely NO idea how it happened (it was never crashed) - both wires to the tail motor are cut right where they exit the boom. They're cut so perfectly that it looks like they may have been cut by a burr on the ID of the boom tube (just guessing; I really have no idea what happened ).
Except for the cut tail leads,.. it flys perfect.

One Syma S022 Chinook flown 10 or 15 times (no dings, no marks,never crashed). BUT the aft rotor is getting weird (read: slow). It flys fine,.. as long as you don't mind moving forward all the time. Not sure what's wrong with it (it's never been disassembled or anything), I only know I'll never fix it.

One fake copy of a Syma s108 Apache. I know it's fake because you can turn the blinking lights on & off from the Tx. Flys fine.

One Drift King. It flys, but it acts quirky sometimes. Never crashed,.. it may need a fresh battery.

One NIB v911 (orange, black, yellow). Never flown because it won't bind to my 9X, or factory Tx's. When it came last June (+/-), I tried binding it for about 20 minutes before I notices some shiny silver thing laying it the Styrofoam box. The Rx antenna. Alibaba only refunded half the price (I think they were $21.99 at the time).
It should be perfect when the antenna is soldered back on, but it's time for me to admit I'll never solder it; I fly 'em, break 'em, wear 'em out, then throw them away (haven't even owned a soldering iron for years).

One "real" Syma s108 Apache. LN, except the rocket-pods are snipped off. It flys okay, but it seems to want to yaw to port all the time lately. I know that sounds like one of the main motors, but the thing is almost brand new. Who knows. I just know I'll never fix it.

One Double Horse 90-something (may be a 9077 - it's the one with LED's in the fly bar). It flys perfect.

They all have transmitters with good batteries,.. if that matters.

In case anyone here wants them, they're welcome to them for the price of shipping in the CONUS (or just pick them up in NE Illinois).

It'd be nice to see someone get them ... who WILL fix them, experiment with them, of use them for spare parts (none of these are beat up).

Anyone?
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Jun 2012
187 Posts
Quote:
lol....well 5 total but 2 are s107g's... so it's not bad yet but I see it coming on soon.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,557 Posts
Okay, Mr. Bird, you don't need intervention yet. But what are the other three? Are they similar to the S107, or are you on your way up the addiction?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Jun 2012
187 Posts
LOL, my other 3 are;
1- Scorpion YD-11
2- Syma s022g Chinook
3- Syma s033g (Super Sized)
I fly these three outside mostly late evening with no wind. But my favs are my 107ís flying inside the house or studio.
Man these are the coolest by far!!!

So I would say Iím a mild functioning addict if not monitored could slip into server intervention, lolÖ
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Mar 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRail View Post

Two are S107G's. One is NIB, but it simply doesn't work, it never did (it's not the Tx - I tried several different transmitters. It's something in the bird.

One has been flown exactly two times. I've never heard of this before, and I have absolutely NO idea how it happened (it was never crashed) - both wires to the tail motor are cut right where they exit the boom. They're cut so perfectly that it looks like they may have been cut by a burr on the ID of the boom tube (just guessing; I really have no idea what happened ).

One Syma S022 Chinook flown 10 or 15 times (no dings, no marks,never crashed). BUT the aft rotor is getting weird (read: slow). It flys fine,.. as long as you don't mind moving forward all the time. Not sure what's wrong with it (it's never been disassembled or anything), I only know I'll never fix it.

One fake copy of a Syma s108 Apache. I know it's fake because you can turn the blinking lights on & off from the Tx. Flys fine.

One Drift King. It flys, but it acts quirky sometimes. Never crashed,.. it may need a fresh battery.

One NIB v911 (orange, black, yellow). Never flown because it won't bind to my 9X, or factory Tx's. When it came last June (+/-), I tried binding it for about 20 minutes before I notices some shiny silver thing laying it the Styrofoam box. The Rx antenna. Alibaba only refunded half the price (I think they were $21.99 at the time).
It should be perfect when the antenna is soldered back on, but it's time for me to admit I'll never solder it; I fly 'em, break 'em, wear 'em out, then throw them away (haven't even owned a soldering iron for years).

One "real" Syma s108 Apache. LN, except the rocket-pods are snipped off. It flys okay, but it seems to want to yaw to port all the time lately. I know that sounds like one of the main motors, but the thing is almost brand new. Who knows. I just know I'll never fix it.

One Double Horse 90-something (may be a 9077 - it's the one with LED's in the fly bar). It flys perfect.

In case anyone here wants them, they're welcome to them for the price of shipping in the CONUS (or just pick them up in NE Illinois).

It'd be nice to see someone get them ... who WILL fix them, experiment with them, of use them for spare parts (none of these are beat up).

Anyone?
Yes I think I am. We could do a trade. Look at my web sit for somthing you would need. WWW.carbonfibers107.com I live N.Cal.
SAF_Dogface is offline Find More Posts by SAF_Dogface
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Oct 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRail View Post

Anyone?
PM Sent
dmorrow71 is offline Find More Posts by dmorrow71
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:05 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,787 Posts
Quote:
Ummm....how many is the limit before intervention? I might have passed that mark a few months ago...
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Jun 2012
187 Posts
Robo, I think it's safe to say your in the red!!!! lol
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
Flight Problem Need help

My s107G has almost stopped flying. I charge up the battery and it takes off but quickly starts to lose it. It decends to the floor in less than 20 seconds and then it will just sit there and spin if I keep the stick pushed forward.

The motors then start to stutter like it lost connection to the controller and then they shut down. The green light on the board is then blinking. If it stops blinking and goes solid which it might do on its own or if I cycle the power switch in the copter it will then power up but not fly.

I haven't flown this bird very much may 25-30 times - anyone have any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix?
handy dave is offline Find More Posts by handy dave
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Mar 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by handy dave View Post
My s107G has almost stopped flying. I charge up the battery and it takes off but quickly starts to lose it. It decends to the floor in less than 20 seconds and then it will just sit there and spin if I keep the stick pushed forward.

The motors then start to stutter like it lost connection to the controller and then they shut down. The green light on the board is then blinking. If it stops blinking and goes solid which it might do on its own or if I cycle the power switch in the copter it will then power up but not fly.

I haven't flown this bird very much may 25-30 times - anyone have any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix?
The problem is one of your main motors are bad. The gyro stabilizer is confiscating for the reduction of speed from bad motor by reducing the power going to the other good motor The gyro will mach the two motor speeds. If one is going bad you will lose speed and altitude. I would get a set of motors and replace the 150 battery with a 240C lipo battery or use it for parts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:35 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,328 Posts
Quote:

Welcome Dave. IMHO, I think you are pushing the battery to the brink of ... (i'll let HP fill in the blank here).

Anyway, try this. Charge the heli. Let it set for 5 minutes before taking flight. If you can't reach a 5 minute flight LAND the "INSTANT" the heli will not stay aloft. Let her sit for 10 minutes and re-charge. Repeat. The idea is to try and exercise the battery back into shape. I have done this very trick and have been very successful. Never run your lipo down to the point where the blades won't turn. Very bad! Let us know how you make out.

Mike.

EDIT: another thing,,..don't fly your heli near sunlight, TV, or other bright lights. You will lose connection.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,557 Posts
Quote:

Handy Dave, Welcome to RCG. I'm happy to see that you own one of the greatest toy in the world. I love these S107s. IMHO, you have a failing, or failed battery. It is consistent with the descriptions you gave. I have worked on S107 with the same problem.

If I may, let me share with you what I've learned about the on-board LED. There is a tiny green LED on the S107R5 board. I discovered that it has 3 different states:
1) Fast blinking. When you first power on the S107. The LED blinks briskly. That indicates that the board is initializing. The board would not finish initializing until the gyro is initialize. If you want to test this, just power the S107 on, but keep it in your hand, and just moving it in your hand. You would notice that the LED keeps blinking. During this state, the S107 will not respond to any signals from the remote control.
2) Solid. But as soon as you set you S107 down on a stable surface, the gyro and the board will initialize and the LED will go solid. From this point on, the S107 is in normal operational mode.
3) Slow blinking. But there is a 3rd state that most people have not discovered. This happens when the battery hits the LVC, Low Voltage Cutoff, set at about 3.4v. When the battery drains, its voltage will drop. When it gets near the LVC, the motors will stutter. When it finally reaches the LVC, the S107 will lock up, cutting off motor responses, but the front blinking light will still be on.

So, your S107 battery drains and hits the LVC quickly. So, I suspect that the battery is dying, or about dead.

But first, let's eliminate the other more remote possibilities. First, examine your S107 and see if there is any dirt, hair, or otherwise, debris that prevents the motor/rotor from turning. If so, these will put a significant load on the battery. Remove any if spotted. Secondly, once the S107 starts to blink slowly and couldn't fly anymore, touch the main motor to see if they are unusually hot. This may indicate bad motors, which drains the battery fast.

Having eliminated these other possibilities, I think you are just looking at a failed battery. If you have a voltmeter, you could do the following test. Bench the S107 and remove the canopy. Trace the battery leads to the two outside terminals on the board. That's where you want to check the voltage. You could monitor how fast it drops from a full charge (4.2v) to LVC (3.4v). In your case, it should only take less than half a minute.

The best thing to do is to buy another 150mAh battery and replace the existing. (Bigger capacity battery is heavier and not worth the upgrade). I just talked about replacing batteries a few pages back. If you need more help, come back and let us know. We'd be able to walk you through it.
Last edited by Heli Pad; Nov 25, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Mar 2011
256 Posts
That is a very good idea and the best place to start.