HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:53 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,808 Posts
You are very welcome. Wire frays would only likely occur in the areas where you could see. The section inside the metal tail boom, I'm not too concerned about. It does sound like your tail motor is reaching it's end of life. Go ahead with the replacement.

I checked out the link you provided. Currently, it says sold by Superstition Hobbies. If you're new to this game, I want you to know that SH is one of my favorites supplier of Syma parts. You should keep them in mind.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Apr 2005
343 Posts
Hi HP. Great that you helped JRomero out as you helped me with my first heli, the Swann Micro Lightning, last year.

Remember also the new S107 I had purchased from Amazon early this year with a tail motor that would barely run? I tried some plastic compatible oil on the tail rotor motor shaft without any luck but fortunately since it was an Amazon purchase, I did return it and receive a replacement without any additional cost.

JRomero, if you have not yet replaced the tail motor you may try oiling the shaft to see if it will help. Mentioned this since I had received a box of 'as is' Drift King helis recently from the 'Bay and one of them could fly but its tail motor was sluggish. Used a bit of oil and it actually did help and now I have one that flies well! I figure on having to replace the tail rotor motor eventually but at least that heli will have a few more flights with its original motor.

Finally, had an interesting experience with a Foda F307 (S107 copy) that arrived with a broken controller throttle stick. Got a replacement controller that seemed to have survived being mailed in a manila envelope (!) and tried out the heli but the tail rotor did not respond at all. Out of curiosity I tried the controller with the broken off stick and the heli flew perfectly. The problem definitely was due to the internally damaged controller and not the tail motor on that one.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
Hi HIR/Cer!

Before I flew my copter yesterday, I tried oiling the shaft. As I oiled, I even turned the motor to make sure the oil made it's way inside. Alas, this had no effect on the performance. After the flight, the tail motor was hot, while the main A and B motors were cool. I do appreciate the tip, though, and I was really hoping I'd get a few more flights out of the original tail motor!

The new tail motor I ordered should arrive tomorrow (hopefully). Now, would it be easier just to splice it into the wires already attached to the PCB, or should I unsolder the old wires from the PCB and solder in the new ones? I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron, and I know all of the proper soldering techniques, but it still seems like just splicing in the new wires to the old would be a lot easier!

Thank you all for your wonderful help!
JRomero is offline Find More Posts by JRomero
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,808 Posts
JRomero, Either splicing wires or soldering will work functionally. But you get bonus points for neatness! So, if you're pretty good with the iron, I'd say solder it!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:58 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,297 Posts
I 2nd Heli Pad's recommendation. I'd solder it on as well.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:13 AM
Joined Apr 2005
343 Posts
JRomero, sorry to hear that the oil application did not work. For my previously sick Drift King heli, I applied the oil several times (oil the shaft while the motor is still hot will help draw the oil onto the shaft outer bearing) but replacing the motor will definitely be the final solution.

Replacing the wires on the PCB or splicing the wires? Sorry, HP and RH , but when I replace the main motor in my Swann heli, I will splice the wires, using very small pieces of insulating tape or heat shrink tubing over the splices to prevent shorts.

Have replaced the battery on the Swann four times (improper care of 1st battery, two defective replacements, and overcharging the 240 mAh battery ) all by splicing the battery wires. Figure that since the motors may have to be replaced again and again in the future, I will not possibly burn up a PC board myself but will splice instead. Not a stranger to soldering; I always had enjoyed building the R/C (Ace, some Heathkit) and ham QRP radio kits.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:19 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,026 Posts
Anyone have a spare 150mah battery to spare?
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jul 2011
71 Posts
I don't have a spare to spare but I bought a couple here.
Big_Kid is offline Find More Posts by Big_Kid
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:09 AM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
I'm very happy to report that I installed the new tail motor on my S107G, and it flys beautifully! I would even venture to say that it flys better than when I first purchased it!

I'd like to thank everyone in this thread who gave me such wonderful advice and took the time to give a newbie like me some help!

Here are a couple notes from the repair:

I chose to unsolder the old wires from the PCB and solder in the new ones. Surprisingly, this was the simplest part of the repair! With a hot iron, just a slight touch is all it took to unsolder the old wires and re-solder the new ones. I found that the most difficult task was threading the very tiny motor wires through the tail boom all of the way up to the front of the copter. Not so much fun if you have larger fingers!

Once again, thank you to all who helped. You guys are the best!
JRomero is offline Find More Posts by JRomero
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:04 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,297 Posts
Fantastic!!! Great job.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Aug 2011
5,808 Posts
Yay, for J! That's funny. Most people would be stumped by just looking at the solder points on the PCB. I found that having the right equipment makes the biggest difference. When I first started with my $4 iron from HF, forget it! Soldering a wire that requires that kind of precision might as well be changing a timing belt (I exaggerate). But getting a good iron is a good investment. Even though you say you don't solder that much, I found that just soldering once worth every penny I spent on the soldering station.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Apr 2005
343 Posts
Great, JR! Glad to hear that you have successfully fixed your S107G. Repairing your own R/C stuff is part of the fun of this hobby!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Jun 2012
173 Posts
Congrats JR on fixing your bird, and your right, the guys here are the best at helping us newbie's get up to speed....
Getto Bird is offline Find More Posts by Getto Bird
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:09 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Kid View Post
I don't have a spare to spare but I bought a couple here.
Ordered two..thanks..
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:04 AM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
After two years (and quite a pile of other helis) I still find S107s to be nice indoor helis. These have to be one of the Classic Toys people will remember for decades.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT