HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:30 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,382 Posts
Hey Guys, I just got an email from Hobbypartz with a Xheli add at the bottom. Xheli is selling the S107's for $14.95

http://www.xheli.com/mimisihe.html

Dang it, and I'm still waiting to close on the house

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:38 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,837 Posts
Yeah, great price indeed! But Shipping kills the deal for most people.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Oct 17, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Mar 2008
10,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Yeah, great price indeed! But Shipping kills the deal for most people.
OUCH...$13.29 for shipping Are they nuts? I realize it would be going coast to coast but, seriously

Mike.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,837 Posts
That's what I'm saying...

So, unless you buying several of these, plus a bunch of replacement parts to boot, it almost never worth the shipping cost. And if you were to buy more than one S107, say two, you might as well just get it through Amazon and get free shipping. Xheli and their shipping fees have basically knock themselves out of the competition.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:50 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
425 Posts
I keep getting ads from Amazon advertising $14.00 107's (last week, one said $12.35), but whenever I click on the link it always says $18-something.

I'm drowning in the things, BUT for twelve bucks a pop, I'd order a bunch as gifts,.. just to spread this crazy disease.

I wish they's stop the false advertising shenanigans......
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:27 AM
noob
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRail View Post
I keep getting ads from Amazon advertising $14.00 107's (last week, one said $12.35), but whenever I click on the link it always says $18-something.

I'm drowning in the things, BUT for twelve bucks a pop, I'd order a bunch as gifts,.. just to spread this crazy disease.

I wish they's stop the false advertising shenanigans......
When running a search on Amazon yesterday, it listed the 107 for $14 something. When I click on the item, it would list $18. There were no other sellers, no other options...just a completely incorrect price listed in the search results. That pisses me off! False advertising...
Veccster is offline Find More Posts by Veccster
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:11 PM
Illinois
Joined Jul 2010
30 Posts
Xheli had them for 14$ too dont know if its been mentioned.
horacer7 is offline Find More Posts by horacer7
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Mar 2008
10,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horacer7 View Post
Xheli had them for 14$ too dont know if its been mentioned.
Yup, I brought that up this past Wednesday. Post #12136. Read down. You get killed with the shipping.

Mike.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:12 PM
Illinois
Joined Jul 2010
30 Posts
I didnt mess with ordering online, got my 2 locally when a circle K had a special shipment of them. I payed 32 bucks a piece fpr them. But didnt have to mess with the shipping and havking them in hand was a plus for me.
horacer7 is offline Find More Posts by horacer7
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Jun 2008
325 Posts
Syma 107g package deal....!!!!

GOOD DEAL ON 2 SYMA 107`S INCLUDING EXTRA PARTS...!!!!!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1755496
N3SHXX is online now Find More Posts by N3SHXX
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
Hi guys,

I recently purchased my first S107G about a week ago and have had lots of fun flying it! It is my first foray into the word of RC flight, and I can say that I've already been bitten pretty hard by the bug!

Unfortunately, in the past day or so, I've ran into a problem with my S107G. When flying, the helicopter doesn't have the same forward/reverse speed it did. It's down to a creep now, and it takes me almost a full minute to make it across the room! The tail motor still works and spins, but I think maybe it's starting to burn out.

Before I ordered a replacement motor, I wanted to see if maybe it could be something else. The tail rotor doesn't appear to be damaged and it is secure on the motor. I can't think of any other reason for this issue.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
JRomero is offline Find More Posts by JRomero
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,837 Posts
JRomero, Welcome to RCG. I must say, you picked the best helicopter to start your addiction!

While the stock S107 doesn't hold any speed record, it certainly shouldn't take a minute to make it across the room, unless you live in an indoor gym.

The most likely suspect of the problem is the tail motor. It may spin, but how fast? In the S107, the tail motor is the only thing that controls its forward and backward movements. From the sounds of it, it is not performing. Unless you have a 2nd S107, it is hard to gauge whether it is spinning strong enough.

Working on the assumption that it is failing, let's first check and see if there is any debris or obstructions that prevent if from moving freely. Does the tail rotor has sufficient clearance from the motor can to move freely? Have you noticed that the tail motor is running hot? Ultimately, I believe the tail motor has to be replaced. But it helps to know the cause of its failure.

Assuming the tail motor has failed. You basically have two options. First option, is to source a replacement motor and replace it. If you're go with soldering, you should trace it back to the PCB and solder in the new motor. Otherwise, you could try and splice the wires. 2nd option is to buy a new S107 all together, and save the current one for parts. The choice is up to you.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
Hello Heli Pad, and thank you for the warm welcome! I lurked this forum for a few weeks before making the decision to purchase my S107G. I directly credit this thread with helping me make that choice!

Haha, I don't live in an indoor gym, unfortunately (boy, wouldn't that make for some fun flying?!). Just a normal sized apartment. The past week or so, I've been able to zip around the apartment quite successfully, but it's just been in the past few days that I've been slowed to a crawl.

As you stated, it's hard to gauge if the motor is spinning as quickly as it did. It still spins fairly quickly but I did notice that I can no longer "hear" it spin. When the motor was engaged, it used to sound like a dentist's drill. Now I no longer hear that.

Nothing seems to be obstructing the tail rotor. I even took the rotor off to remove a few minuscule pet hairs that were wrapped around the shaft. There was no change in performance. I'll have to check the next time I fly the helicopter to see if the tail motor is indeed running hot. During my last flight, I stopped after a few minutes and actually removed the motor from its mount on the tail boom, and I don't recall it being hot or even remotely warm.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and purchase a replacement motor. Fortunately, it's relatively inexpensive to do so! ($2.97 on Amazon, free shipping) I know some parts cost almost as much as a whole new helicopter, but this isn't the case!

Thank you for your help, and I look forward to frequenting RCG regularly!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,837 Posts
Sounds like a plan. One other thing to check and see if you could visually detect frayed wires leading to the tail rotor, because the higher the resistance, the less juice you're gonna get from the tail. Otherwise, replacing the motor sounds like the good next step.

You did say that it was going equally bad backwards, not just going forward, right?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:43 AM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
From what I can see (without tearing the helicopter apart) the wires appear fully intact with no issues in that regard. However, I just performed another flight and immediately after I checked the temperature of the tail motor. It was indeed very warm to the touch. Not so warm that you couldn't touch it, but definitely warmer than the main A and B motors. I suspect this is due to some sort of resistance within the motor, correct?

Yes, the helicopter is just as unresponsive going backwards as it is going forwards. However, just as this problem was beginning to surface, I noticed that if I put the motor in reverse for a few seconds, then went forward, the motor would work as normal until I let off. This trick only seemed to work a few times.

At any rate, I just ordered the new motor (here is the Amazon link if anyone needs it), and it should be here in a few days ready to put into my helicopter! I'll definitely post an update.

Thank you Heli Pad for all of the help and great advice!!!