HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:38 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,498 Posts
Sounds like you were smitten by it, HuskySpade. What else do you have in your "fleet"?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:37 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Sounds like you were smitten by it, HuskySpade. What else do you have in your "fleet"?
I've only got three right now:

-Syma S107G CX
-Interactive Toys Interceptor 052 CX
-WL V911 FP

And within the next week, I plan to step up to a hobby grade helicopter and buy the Walkera Master CP!
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,498 Posts
Another one inflicted by the addiction. LOL.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:54 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
Won't contest that one! LOL
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Jun 2012
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskySpade View Post
This weekend, I welcomed the newest member to my fleet: The Syma S107G.

It flies wonderfully. It's remarkably stable, and its lived up to all the positive hype that follows it. A must have for any fleet.

I haven't had a chance to fly it much just yet as i'm still "breaking in" the battery. So i've not flown it more than a few flights each lasting a couple minutes at a time. Today however, that battery should be broken in just fine, and I hope to get a few good five minute flights out of it today.

Its maiden flight was yesterday morning, and it was so incredibly easy to get ahold of, that I felt very confident in its abilities and in my own. I flew it around the kitchen and the living room a bit without a crash, coupled with a few smooth landings and takeoffs. Flies great.

All in all, I love it, and I plan to write a review on Amazon for it once i've had a chance to really get some significant airtime with it...
Congrats HuskySpade and welcome..
Getto Bird is offline Find More Posts by Getto Bird
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:16 PM
Hokie Jim
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
Problems with my first S107G

I've been flying my first S107G for about a week, for probably 40-50 charges. Yesterday, it started turning itself off sometimes after crashes, but after cycling it off and on, it would work again. Then it sometimes would only briefly start to turn the rotors, then cut itself off again. After a few tries, it would work normally again for awhile, then start shutting itself off again after just starting to turn the rotors.

Today, after repeated attempts did not start it, I disassembled it to see if I could see any damage on the circuit board like a broken solder joint, but didn't find anything. After reassembling it, when I plugged the charger in, the bottom rotor turned slowly, I think backward, with the power switch off, and when I turn the power switch on, it stops turning. One time when I plugged the charger it in, the bottom rotor started turning full speed. I stopped the rotor by hand for maybe 3-4 seconds while trying to flick the switch to ON to see if that would stop it again. It kept turning regardless of the power switch position. I then unplugged the charger and it stopped turning, but I smelled an electrical burning odor. Did I fry the bottom rotor motor by holding it still against power for a few seconds? Now after that episode, the top rotor will turn on apparently at full power normally, but the bottom rotor does not turn at all, and the red nose LED light keeps flashing non-stop with the power off, and with the power on, the blue and red LEDs alternate flashing normally.

Any ideas for how to fix it, or is the circuit board toast, and probably one of the motors? Fortunately, my second 107G showed up in the mail yesterday, but I hope, even at only $17 a pop, they'll last longer than a week!
jimhokie is offline Find More Posts by jimhokie
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,498 Posts
@JimHokie, first of all, Welcome to RCG.

After reading your post, I have a few concerns. In my mind, the descriptions told me that something has been shorted, especially when lights behaved strangely, and rotors spinning when they shouldn't, backwards sometimes, etc. Unless you are comfortable with electronics diagnostics, my advice is to set this sick heli aside for parts.

I'd like to ask you something. First of all, your 1st S107G, does it say "S107R5" on the circuit board? In your 40-50 charges, did you ALWAYS use the same method of charging? Did you at some point charge the method of charging, say, use a different charger or something?

Did you get the 2nd S107G from the same people. Does it say "S107R5" on the circuit board.

Before we clear these things up, my advice is to treat the two birds exclusively, meaning that DO NOT use the charging cable from the 1st one on the 2nd helicopter or vice versa. Keep them apart as individual sets.
Last edited by Heli Pad; Oct 04, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:25 PM
Hokie Jim
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
Thanks for the response, Heli. I could probably do basic electrical diagnostics like continuity checks, but if it's something electronic on the board that's fried, I don't know. Can you get replacement circuit boards? I might try resoldering a new board if feasible.

Both of my S107Gs are the R5 version, and they came from different merchants. I used both the USB charger that came with it and a wall charger that I also bought online interchangeably, but I suspect the issue is more likely to do with crashes as the symptoms seem to progress more after crashes and none after charging.

When I disassembled it, I noticed that the main shaft bearing is embedded in the circuit board, and at a point beyond the two mounting screws, which means that any force impacting the main shaft is transmitted to the circuit board and could cause it to flex, or maybe even the mechanical shock to the circuit board through the shaft could damage it. Not a good design there in my opinion!

I was hoping my symptoms may have been common for which a known fix would be available. Any other thoughts?
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,498 Posts
Jim, First of all, good news that both S107 are R5s. The reason that I asked what I asked is that there are many fake ones out there. The description you gave (rotor spinning backwards while charging) was consistent with charging in reversed polarity. That why I cautioned you not to mix them.

But if both of them are R5, then the polarity would be consistent. I do believe that after many crashes, you might have damaged the component of the PCB, to a degree that there might be a burnt transistor and the circuitry is a bit messed up.

I didn't agree with the suggestion that it was due to a bad designed and that the shaft is transmitting forces into the PCB. If you look closer, you would find that it is just a hole in the PCB. The inner shaft passes through the hole into the base board. It hardly touches the PCB.

PCB is replaceable. It costs about $6 + SH, which comes to about $11. It's hardly worth the while. And there are about 10 solder points to deal with.

Overall the symptoms are uncommon. They point to a damaged PCB. Replacement is costly and not worthwhile. At the current pricing, I would just replace the whole S107 (which you did) and keep the old one for parts.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:12 AM
Hokie Jim
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
Heli, I had read about reversed polarity on the fake units, but since both of mine worked normally for a while before the one started rotating backwards, I figured it was something else wrong. Just out of curiosity though, I did find some boards for sale, but even though they all said they were for the S107/107G, the pictures did not show the number with the R3 or R5 on it, so I wondered what the difference was with those boards.

Yeah, it doesn't sound worthwhile to try to solder in a new board considering I can buy a new helicopter for about $17 delivered with Amazon Prime. Plus, I think the lower rotor motor is fried too after smelling that burnt electrical smell after stopping the rotor from turning for a few seconds.

Thanks for all the info and assistance!

About the shaft bearing in the PCB, yes, the shaft itself just rides in the hole, but the hub of the lower center gear bottoms out on the PCB bearing, so if the heli lands upside down on the top of the rotors, the impact will force the gear hub onto the PCB. Just for kicks and giggles, I may look to see if there's a way to put a small piece of something underneath this bearing to provide support to absorb any impact force to keep it from flexing the PCB. Or I could just be more careful and not crash it as much...Dogfighting with my coworkers helicopters doesn't help!
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:32 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhokie View Post
Heli, I had read about reversed polarity on the fake units, but since both of mine worked normally for a while before the one started rotating backwards, I figured it was something else wrong. Just out of curiosity though, I did find some boards for sale, but even though they all said they were for the S107/107G, the pictures did not show the number with the R3 or R5 on it, so I wondered what the difference was with those boards.

Yeah, it doesn't sound worthwhile to try to solder in a new board considering I can buy a new helicopter for about $17 delivered with Amazon Prime. Plus, I think the lower rotor motor is fried too after smelling that burnt electrical smell after stopping the rotor from turning for a few seconds.

Thanks for all the info and assistance!

About the shaft bearing in the PCB, yes, the shaft itself just rides in the hole, but the hub of the lower center gear bottoms out on the PCB bearing, so if the heli lands upside down on the top of the rotors, the impact will force the gear hub onto the PCB. Just for kicks and giggles, I may look to see if there's a way to put a small piece of something underneath this bearing to provide support to absorb any impact force to keep it from flexing the PCB. Or I could just be more careful and not crash it as much...Dogfighting with my coworkers helicopters doesn't help!
WHOOOPSIE DAISY Jim Did you not see what it says under Heli Pad's user name? This will be interesting

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,498 Posts
I'm gonna have to write Jim a citation!
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:06 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli pad View Post
i'm gonna have to write jim a citation!
You're going easy on him because he's new right?
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:25 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhokie View Post
Dogfighting with my coworkers helicopters doesn't help!
Heh.

Could always be worse. Imagine having to lend friends/coworkers your 107's to dogfight with! Talk about a no-win situation...
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:38 PM
Hokie Jim
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
Well, I may be guilty of helicopter abuse for dogfighting with them, but in the process, I have turned probably a dozen coworkers on to these, for what that may be worth. You'd probably accuse me of animal cruelty too for chasing my dog around with it too, right? But she loves it...