HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Jun 2012
185 Posts
I gotta admit this weekend was pretty cool, beer and chopper flying with my childhood friend. Now with me being new at this, I know most of you guys been there done that, I had a chance to fly three different size heliís,
All with the 107 design (if Iím saying that right).
Mine of course the s107g, and my new mid size YD-811 (a gift), and my friends big s033g.
Wow a difference in all three. Man was I a little nervous flying that bigger one. Lots of wind from that one for sure, but no crashes, from me anyway.
The YD-811 was a great fly, a quick responding bird,
but I have to admit, it sure felt good flying my litís107.
Maybe cause Iím use it more soÖ.

-Rick
Getto Bird is offline Find More Posts by Getto Bird
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:44 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,107 Posts
Rick, It's always good to fly with friends and sample different models. Did you do that indoor or outdoor? The S107 is a great indoor flyer. It's still one of my favorites. I think the S033 is too big for inside the house, and a bit under power for the outdoor. It takes a long time to charge up that battery pack! So, I'm with you and prefer the S107 over these other ones.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
anyone see the syma s800g? its a 4 channel micro. i might just have to check that out!

i seem to have ghetto rigged the connection. its by no means a permanent connection but it got me up in the air till i get the soldering iron
MolecularConcept is offline Find More Posts by MolecularConcept
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Rick, It's always good to fly with friends and sample different models. Did you do that indoor or outdoor? The S107 is a great indoor flyer. It's still one of my favorites. I think the S033 is too big for inside the house, and a bit under power for the outdoor. It takes a long time to charge up that battery pack! So, I'm with you and prefer the S107 over these other ones.
Hey HP, yes it was indoors, and yes wAY to to big for indoor flying like we did. He has a big house but still...he did take out a few door blinds but "his house, his heli"....and yup, charging time for that one was well over an hour.

Oh...Can I ask you, we went fly our s107g's and I was thinking if one is set to "A" and the other is set to "B" that both can fly independently. But no, One tx worked both on the A and B settings.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:44 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,108 Posts
My yellow genuine syma 107g.

Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Last edited by Jake8131; Aug 06, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:54 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getto Bird View Post
Oh...Can I ask you, we went fly our s107g's and I was thinking if one is set to "A" and the other is set to "B" that both can fly independently. But no, One tx worked both on the A and B settings.
Sorry, now I'm confused. My son and I fly together all the time. He always chooses "B" and I'm always on "A". Did you make sure to bind each of the helis separately? It should work so you can have 2 helis up at the same time in the same room...
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:19 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getto Bird View Post
Like Robo Heli says you can fly two at the same time.

You may have to bind one to A in one room
Then the other to B in a different room
Once you do that it will be heli wars

cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,107 Posts
Rick, Like Robo was saying, it should work. But you have to set them up correctly.

The S107s are not preset at factory to work with one channel or the other. The channel selection is done at each start up (power on). When you power it on, it will lock on to the "first" signal it sees and stay that way until you turn it off.

So set it up one at a time:
1) Turn on S107#1, set it down to rest and initialize.
2) Select A (or B) on Tx, push throttle, S107#1 spins up. Now S107#1 is on A (or B).
3) Turn on S107#2, set it down to rest and initialize.
4) Make sure that Tx#1 is not active nearby. Otherwise, S107#2 will lock on to the same channel.
5) Select a different channel on Tx, push throttle, S107#2 spins up. Now it is on the other channel.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Jun 2012
185 Posts
Robo, HP, Scotsoft....Thank you, I got it now...Heli pack flying is in the works..
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Jun 2012
185 Posts
So itís safe to say I could pick up a few more ďHeli OnlyĒ syma s107gís with no tx and use my one tx to control them all independently?
If yes, would it apply to lets say the other helis by syma, s108g, s026g, ect..
Hope I'm asking this right....or is it better to have a tx with each heli ?
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,107 Posts
Rick, In theory, yes, you could pick up another S107G "helicopter only", or BNF as most of us call them, and use your existing Tx for it. As long as it is another genuine S107, not a problem. But the problem in practice is to find a seller that sells such a BNF model. I don't think there is any, not to mention that a new complete S107 is about $17. How much would a BNF still be viable?

Then, you'd want to jump to the conclusion that one Tx for all Symas. But that's not true either. There are basically 2 families of IR Symas. S107 is in one, along with S105, S109, etc. But then the S022, S110, S108 are in the other family. In general, one Tx could control all the models within the same family, with some exceptions.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Jun 2012
185 Posts
....humm, I think its easyer to just buy heli w/tx....
Thanks HP

-Rick
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Mar 2011
256 Posts
WWW.carbonfibers107.com

OK, If we ware able to remove the IRs out of a TX and heli then install them in the s107 we could fly more the 2 at a time.
SAF_Dogface is offline Find More Posts by SAF_Dogface
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:40 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAF_Dogface View Post
OK, If we ware able to remove the IRs out of a TX and heli then install them in the s107 we could fly more the 2 at a time.
sorry to butt in, but i think its the coding sent and received that makes the difference. So I dont think just switching ir's is gonna do anything for you. I might be wrong though. You have to install the whole board, at least the ir receiver part of it into the s107. I have heard of 2.4ghz receivers you can buy for the s107 for like $20, but I never looked into it enough as to how it would work and what transmitter it would work for.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:30 AM
Beer me!
Joined Feb 2002
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Rick, Like Robo was saying, it should work. But you have to set them up correctly.

The S107s are not preset at factory to work with one channel or the other. The channel selection is done at each start up (power on). When you power it on, it will lock on to the "first" signal it sees and stay that way until you turn it off.

So set it up one at a time:
1) Turn on S107#1, set it down to rest and initialize.
2) Select A (or B) on Tx, push throttle, S107#1 spins up. Now S107#1 is on A (or B).
3) Turn on S107#2, set it down to rest and initialize.
4) Make sure that Tx#1 is not active nearby. Otherwise, S107#2 will lock on to the same channel.
5) Select a different channel on Tx, push throttle, S107#2 spins up. Now it is on the other channel.
Due to my first S107 needing repairs that I had to do some research about, I have not had both of my S107s in working condition at the same time until today. So, I had to do the obligatory tandem running of 2 at the same time with the same Tx. Their downwash seemed to keep drawing them together if I set them up too close. I did manage a successful tandem hop of both of them from the floor to my bed, but I think I've exhausted my interest in tandem flights for a while.

What was more fun was to "leapfrog" fly them alternately with the same Tx- doing a circuit with one, land, flip the channel switch on the TX, and immediately taking off to do a circuit with the other. To set this up, I turned the first S107 on- then the Tx and tested the throttle. Next, while leaving both the first S107 and the Tx on, I switched Tx channels. Finally, I turned on the 2nd S107, and it is now bound to the new channel while the other remains on the other channel. So, I can now fly one S107 around, land it, reduce throttle to zero, switch channels and immediately fly the other, rinse and repeat. I'm not sure why, but for some reason I find this amusing. My first S107 is mostly stock so it can be fun to compare the different flight characteristics between stock and modified, but I still find amusing just the fact that I can switch back and forth immediately with the flick of the Tx channel switch.
Slime-Lover is offline Find More Posts by Slime-Lover