HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:31 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,177 Posts
Yup, Rick. That's where I'll start looking.

The lower blades are connected to the outer shaft (of the coaxial), which is connected to the top gear of the gear box, which is driven by the front motor. If none of these things is turning when throttle is up, and that the motor has not seized so that you could still turn everything by hand, then my first suspicion would be a loose motor wire. Open up the canopy and check the wires connecting to the PCB.

Below, you will find a wiring diagram for R3 for your reference. R5 is the same.

I just repaired one like that Saturday for a kid. The front motor negative, blue wire, 2nd from the bottom of the picture was stripped and cut by something. The wire was cut and the insulation was hanging by a thread. I had to cut it off and re-solder the now shorter wire to the PCB. After that, the lower blades were spinning and the helicopter flew like new!
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Jul 10, 2012 at 01:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Jun 2012
187 Posts
Thanks HP, I’ll let you know how my first surgery goes. Now to fine my wife’s glasses lol… 

-Rick
Getto Bird is offline Find More Posts by Getto Bird
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Jul 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Billie, was there a difference in environment between your first flight and the now lousy flight? In other words, was the first successful flight at night, and now in daylight?

Sometimes, IR signals are subjected to interference. Perhaps you're flying in a "noisy" environment (in terms of IR interference) and your control range is shortened to just a few inches.

But, it is perfect possible that there is no difference between the first flight and now. Something could have malfunctioned on the Rx side, and the sensitivity has gone down the drain. It has happened to me.

It seems to me that you've done everything right and checked everything - battery, status light, active signal, etc. If that's the case, just see if you could return it for an exchange ASAP.
There was no difference, I don't even think it ever worked better than how it does now.
I also turned off tv, etc. etc. even with ALL electronics off (even lamps), it didn't even make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Welcome Billie. Pop the canopy off carefully. There will be wires attached to it, so be careful. Find the red wire coming off the battery and follow it all the way to the PCB. Look very carefully to where the solder joint is. Is the red wire/solder joint touching the metal frame of the heli?

Mike.
Unfortunatly I don't have the right screwdriver to get it off.. maybe I can get one later, I will let you know.

I flied the heli untill the battery went dead, if I stay (VERY) close, it works, but I have to stay at the back of the heli.
It was fun, although it lost contact a lot when it went too far away
I will try to contact the website I bought it from, I hope I will get it to work!
Thanks anyway for the help! I will let you know how it works out haha
Billie Banaan is offline Find More Posts by Billie Banaan
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:15 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,644 Posts
Good luck, Billie Banaan. Yeah, see if you can get an exchange before you pop the heli open. If it's new, I'd go that route first...
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie Banaan View Post
There was no difference, I don't even think it ever worked better than how it does now.
I also turned off tv, etc. etc. even with ALL electronics off (even lamps), it didn't even make a difference.
Okay. I does sound like you have an inferior bird. It happens. I have one of those and I'm exchanging it. Good luck with yours.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
14 Posts
hey guys, sorry I havent responded in a bit but I ended up with strep throat and havent even felt good enough to browse the net with a laptop on my couch till today lol.

little heli is still working and yeah, probably should not have left it on the charger overnight lol. so I can unhook the tail fin and no adverse effects AND it'll go faster? nice.

on another note, I live in the dirty south (charleston, sc) to be specific and its bloody hot. we have ceiling fans in every room and man if they dont screw with the poor heli.

are there any other affordable (comparitavely priced) helis that react better to indoor fans and have decent battery life?

not saying I'm getting rid of my s107, I intend to run it to pieces and then sell the salvage on ebay as I do with everything I own lol. I just want something that can cruise better through my house and for a bit longer than 3 minutes before it starts getting funky...
stackz is offline Find More Posts by stackz
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,177 Posts
Quite frankly, I think most of indoor helicopter of this class has more or less the same flight characteristics. Small rotors could never really compete with the ceiling fans. You started with one of the best in class. Unless you have the desire to experiment with others and ended up sourcing a bunch of different parts, you'd probably better off sticking with one model. While you're not using the fan, try and learn your helicopter on top of on the fan blades. It's a good challenge!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,644 Posts
@stackz : I have air conditioners in my house and I actually have a good time flying my S107s *through* the air stream and riding it like a little surfer (well..sort of--more like a good PUSH). I haven't tried them with my overhead fans, but that sounds like it would be interesting.

As for the battery life, my solution is just to buy a couple more helis so you can grab a new one when the battery on the other wears out. They've got 5 different colors to chose from and there are some nice "scale" replica models (S102G, S108G, S109G, S111G, S026G) that you can collect if you want as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined Sep 2011
14 Posts
lol, dont have the room for multiple helis. I live in a traditional 1940's charlestonian "cottage" home. I keep my s107 in my sock drawer, only reason the finance allows me to have it.

I guess my worst thing with control is keeping it at a steady hover due to the fans. also, it doesnt like turning so much. I can fly it pretty darn good and land like cake but man, it gets caught in the air streams between rooms and when its about under the main fan blades. when she's not around, I turn off the fans and turn down the a/c but yeah...gotta hate the increase in the electric bill haha.

I love my blue color scheme on my s107...and paid a bit extra for it just due to rarity apparently. but then again, blue is my favorite color haha.

I've seen some of the youtube videos on battery/speed mods, just dont know which ones are good/bad.

and this thread is over 780 pages long, way too long to read through for me with ADHD sigh.
stackz is offline Find More Posts by stackz
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:36 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,136 Posts
UPS came with my shiny new yellow Syma S107G. Got it from NewEgg for 19.99, no tax, free shipping!!

SYMAS107GYELLOW A (2 min 43 sec)
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:03 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,136 Posts
Check this out...a quad copter by Syma!!!!
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Check this out...a quad copter by Syma!!!!
LOL

Give up the source where you got that or I'm gonna think it's photoshopped.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Nov 2010
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
LOL

Give up the source where you got that or I'm gonna think it's photoshopped.
Syma X1 UFO
Airgus is offline Find More Posts by Airgus
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:55 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,700 Posts
UDI are doing a quad as well

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/58..._4G_4CH_4.html
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:45 AM