HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2012, 12:11 AM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Good points. 240 is an "overgrade" for an S107. A 180 or 200 might be usable as a substitute in a pinch but most of the time a bigger battery isn't warranted.

Of course your mileage may vary.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 07:01 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Just a quick 'heads up' to cheap S107's in the UK..

www.menkind.co.uk

It's a gadget shop - similar to the Red5 store. I was passing their shop in Eldon Square, Newcastle and they had S107's for just 19.99. Good price! I'd get in quick as they're sure to sell fast.

Steve (already got 4 S107's but is tempted to buy a couple more at that price!)
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old May 17, 2012, 11:12 AM
United Kingdom, Durham
Joined Jul 2008
53 Posts
Has any one got the 107C if so how good or bad is it,please
Stewart Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Stewart Wilson
Old May 18, 2012, 01:13 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Wilson View Post
I want one of those, but where?
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old May 18, 2012, 10:22 AM
United Kingdom, Durham
Joined Jul 2008
53 Posts
I found a shop in Germany but the P+P is high well it is to me
surly if it looks like a 107 is there not some thing we can add to ours,like buy that same under frame and then get a camera like they have or am I being silly
there is one that I found but it's not a Syma but there are plenty of spares for it,i just happy that I have my 107 s but like some folks I want a bigger one even though I can not fly properly
but at least these 107 s are cheep to repair not like my Walkera's,
Stewart Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Stewart Wilson
Old May 18, 2012, 10:49 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
I want one of those, but where?
Quote:
I found a shop in Germany but the P+P is high well it is to me
surly if it looks like a 107 is there not some thing we can add to ours,like buy that same under frame and then get a camera like they have or am I being silly
there is one that I found but it's not a Syma but there are plenty of spares for it,i just happy that I have my 107 s but like some folks I want a bigger one even though I can not fly properly
but at least these 107 s are cheep to repair not like my Walkera's,
You guys have to remember that the normal Syma S107 is an infrared chopper and coaxial. Both of those qualities make it unsuitable for outdoor flight in most conditions. Night time with zero wind being an exception.

One other thing is that there really is not much extra lifting power in a normal S107. It's easy to fry the main motors with extended flight times or excessive weight hung on it.

I think you would get easily bored with indoor videos even if you could get your S107 to lift a little camera.

Just MHO
Something like the 2.4 Ghz Blade mQX baby quad is about as small as it gets for a camera platform and it can fly outside in some ammount of breeziness with out too much trouble.

John in Merrill

PS That said, you can get the Syma S107C from RCFever here http://www.rc-fever.com/syma-s107c-i...e-p-15205.html
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; May 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:45 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
considering you can literally buy 10 symas for the price of one mqx it probably is a better camera platform. imo a v911 would be a more appropriate comparison. no problem lifting a stipped $7 keycam however there are issues with vibration. small copters are not well suited for this application.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old May 18, 2012, 01:34 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
considering you can literally buy 10 symas for the price of one mqx it probably is a better camera platform. imo a v911 would be a more appropriate comparison. no problem lifting a stipped $7 keycam however there are issues with vibration. small copters are not well suited for this application.
You are not kidding there. Disclaimer: I have not mounted a keycam to my v911, and I don't have 1st hand experience with video taking with such platform.

However, I would never imagine putting a camera on my v911. Considering its flight characteristics with vibration, fast piro rate, flybar strikes, and flying like a bucking horse "features", I think I would puke watching any video from it.

The S107C has its limitations. It won't work as a nice outdoor flyer for sure. But from the reviews I've read, it sure looks like a decent indoor flyer. It's made to function as a toy. As long as you remember that, you should be pretty happy about it.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old May 18, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
You guys have to remember that the normal Syma S107 is an infrared chopper and coaxial. Both of those qualities make it unsuitable for outdoor flight in most conditions. Night time with zero wind being an exception.

One other thing is that there really is not much extra lifting power in a normal S107. It's easy to fry the main motors with extended flight times or excessive weight hung on it.

I think you would get easily bored with indoor videos even if you could get your S107 to lift a little camera.

Just MHO
Something like the 2.4 Ghz Blade mQX baby quad is about as small as it gets for a camera platform and it can fly outside in some ammount of breeziness with out too much trouble.

John in Merrill

PS That said, you can get the Syma S107C from RCFever here http://www.rc-fever.com/syma-s107c-i...e-p-15205.html
This thing is probably nothing but an S107G reworked to accept its removeable micro-DVR module. There is probably a darned good reason it isn't built in: weight.

I took one of my S107Gs out the other night just after sunset just for grins. It was pretty miserable, even the lightest of breezes overcame it and without extreme care in aiming the Tx LEDs at it the thing fell out of the air. This even happened with the heli turned at some angles such as head-on toward the Tx.

Perhaps I'm spoiled, but a small 2.4GHz 4CH or even the pricy and lame Blade Scout 3CH beats the pants off trying to fly an S107 outdoors.

As far as flying with an onboard micro-DVR goes, one of your cheapest options is to shop for a good price on an S022 Big Chinook tandem coax. Dollycopter though she may be with the faux military fuselage, that sucker has the power to carry 808/909 keyfobs or my own favorite "bic lighter" micro-DVRs.

The U.S./N. America version is 27MHz, which if you read the "Big Chinook" thread here you'll see has interference issues serious enough that you should handle them with care (lotta power there). But by making sure I extend the dragtenna and the Tx's whip this has been a minimal issue for me. The Euro version is 40MHz and might be even better but seems to be illegal in N. America.

Being big and heavy and having 4 rotors of power these can handle somewhat more breeze but not a lot. I was out for a short flight once this year, started fighting to keep it from landing on the roof, and before I knew it the heli was above the treetops then over the next block. I got lucky, there's a park over there and it came down in the open with no damage. Sure wish the DVR hadn't failed on that flight though! Make sure you have them charged before taking off. Mine had run out of juice and left me with only a corrupted AVI file.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:10 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,366 Posts
The s107c is shorter and the blades are even shorter than the regular S107g.
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old May 19, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
The s107c is shorter and the blades are even shorter than the regular S107g.
So the size is somewhere between the S107 and S110 hmm? I didn't expect that.

Still larger than something like a UDI U807?
Old May 19, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
I have controlling range problem with my S107... Was working good then suddenly problem happened...

My IR controlling range became really short... So short a need to put it about 1 inch max from the infrared receiver of the heli to make it react. Everythink works OK on the heli and all control works, but I need to be 1 inch close else nothing happen...

I checked the board soldering of IR receiver and they are OK. The transmitter and receiver are clean.. Replaced the battery in the remote but no success...

Anybody know whats the problem???
Kameleau is offline Find More Posts by Kameleau
Old May 19, 2012, 08:02 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameleau View Post
I have controlling range problem with my S107... Was working good then suddenly problem happened...

My IR controlling range became really short... So short a need to put it about 1 inch max from the infrared receiver of the heli to make it react. Everythink works OK on the heli and all control works, but I need to be 1 inch close else nothing happen...

I checked the board soldering of IR receiver and they are OK. The transmitter and receiver are clean.. Replaced the battery in the remote but no success...

Anybody know whats the problem???
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I can't say for sure what the problem is. But just thinking out loud here, it could either be on the Tx side, or on the Rx side. To better isolate the problem, I would take a digital camera, or just use the camera mode of your cell phone (assuming most people have that now), and look at the Tx IR lights through these IR sensitive devices. You should be able to see very strong strobbing IR emission (like the phoeo below). If not, then the problem is probably on the Tx. Otherwise, if the IR signal is coming out strongly from the Tx, I would then concentrate my next effort on the Rx.

Look for cold solder and re-flow the solder points if necessary. Hopefully, you could isolate, find and fix the issue.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old May 19, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I can't say for sure what the problem is. But just thinking out loud here, it could either be on the Tx side, or on the Rx side. To better isolate the problem, I would take a digital camera, or just use the camera mode of your cell phone (assuming most people have that now), and look at the Tx IR lights through these IR sensitive devices. You should be able to see very strong strobbing IR emission (like the phoeo below). If not, then the problem is probably on the Tx. Otherwise, if the IR signal is coming out strongly from the Tx, I would then concentrate my next effort on the Rx.

Look for cold solder and re-flow the solder points if necessary. Hopefully, you could isolate, find and fix the issue.
Thank you for the help and the photo.

I can now say that it's the TX IR light that don't works. Tried to see it with my camera and I dont see anything, then compared with my TV remote and the IR light is really evident... I will open my remote to try to repair it, but I will probably buy another S107 kit so I will have 2 heli but only 1 remote...
Old May 19, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Is there any test I can do with a multimeter? I checked the board components and soldering of the remote and everything seems OK...