HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2012, 03:45 AM
S107G MSR MSRX 120SR Nano QX
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
470 Posts
Hi ziocarl, HP offers good advice as normal. If you want slightly more speed, without any real mods, try changing the rear rotor blade for the improved pitch one (PicoZ) and all you have to do is invert the motor.
micro2000 is offline Find More Posts by micro2000
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 04:06 AM
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
The Syma S107 runs 7mm motors for main rotors and 4mm for tail. They use 1 clockwise and 1 counter-clockwise 7mm motor. You also may need to change pinion gears to match what you have, and you will need to be able to solder the motor wires to your mainboard as these don't have plugin connectors like E-flite Blade choppers and Nine Eagles Solo Pro and Bravo SX.
If you can meet those requirements you should be able to use S107 motors.

John in Merrill
Thanks a lot! Now I have to order the motors. Do you know a trusted seller on ebay? I know there are lot of fake stuffs there. I'm absolutely begginer in this by the way.
Sequadon is offline Find More Posts by Sequadon
Old May 08, 2012, 06:49 AM
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
470 Posts
Hi Sequadon, when you do get your motors, I found it easier to cut the wires and solder the new motor wires to those, rather than solder onto the pcb - good luck
Old May 08, 2012, 07:04 AM
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro2000 View Post
Hi Sequadon, when you do get your motors, I found it easier to cut the wires and solder the new motor wires to those, rather than solder onto the pcb - good luck
Thanks for the advice. I have some skills with soldering and when a I saw the PCB and compare it with my soldering iron it became clear that I don't want to try this stunt.

Any advice about where to buy the motors? I'm from Hungary, so the shipping fee is important. Most webshop ships for the price of a new heli. :/
Old May 08, 2012, 07:38 AM
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
470 Posts
It depends how quickly you want them. Quickest is yuor LHS if you have one, then a Hungary model shop. If you are preapred to wait 3-4 weeks, use Ebay.com. See the following who have sold 128 pairs for $5.45 :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F02007-Syma-...item3f11cfcb25
Old May 08, 2012, 07:51 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,298 Posts
Has anyone successfully bought motors from Amazon? I have a set that I got but my helis still isn't able to get more than a few feet off the ground and then it drops rapidly. I suspect that at least one of the new ones isn't working as well as it should.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Has anyone successfully bought motors from Amazon? I have a set that I got but my helis still isn't able to get more than a few feet off the ground and then it drops rapidly. I suspect that at least one of the new ones isn't working as well as it should.
I think I have the same problem with my JXD 340. May be a short circuit in the coil cause this.
Old May 08, 2012, 08:23 AM
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
470 Posts
have you checked to see the blades are properly conencted to the shaft - See the sellers feedback, 24065, which seems pretty good
Old May 08, 2012, 08:37 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequadon View Post
I think I have the same problem with my JXD 340. May be a short circuit in the coil cause this.
Well I am not sure that this is the same problem. My blades spin continuously just fine but I have a problem with getting adequate lift. I can spin my blades for a full battery but I can't get higher than a foot or so off the ground at best.

I think I have the blades correctly attached... is there a way I might get it wrong? I have other helis to compare it to so I haven't mixed my upper and lower blades...
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 09:07 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Well I am not sure that this is the same problem. My blades spin continuously just fine but I have a problem with getting adequate lift. I can spin my blades for a full battery but I can't get higher than a foot or so off the ground at best.

I think I have the blades correctly attached... is there a way I might get it wrong? I have other helis to compare it to so I haven't mixed my upper and lower blades...
If one motor is going bad the heli will spin one direction or the other due to the higher torque of the motor that is strongest over powering the torque of the weaker one. If there is not a problem with the spinning, then the first suspect is a weakened battery. The next possibility would be some binding in the gears or mainshafts. That can be fixed usually with a fine oil like Tri-Flo on the shafts and gears where they make contact with each other. Very rarely is the problem with the mainboard, but that would be the last thing to troubleshoot.

The easiest solution would to buy a couple more S107's and then just change parts one at a time from one of the new ones until you find which part solves the problem. The other idea would be to just use the weak one for spare parts on the new ones.

In any event I always try to have a couple of spare motors and batteries to keep me in the air. Amazon, NewEgg, Ebay, and the free shipping chinese online sources all work fine. Shipping times are usually slow from the freeship chinese sources, and returns on defective parts is almost never cost effective. But the total cost savings make them a good choice if you can stand the wait for your parts.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old May 08, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined May 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Eventually, you might want to lose the tail decoration. But that's as far as I would go. I'd keep it pretty stock.

Otherwise, the white tabs are pretty useless and unnecessary. You won't miss them too much.
I'll rip out the white tabs eventually. What do you mean by tail decoration? Any negative effects from removing it?

Quote:
Oh, I forgot I was going to comment on this. Next time you start out, turn on the S107G, wait for the little green light on the PCB to go solid, and then slowly start to give it a little bit of throttle. I mean, really slowly. Take a few seconds to get it to mid-stick. I'm really curious as to whether the PCB really requires you to give it full throttle, or else you didn't wait long enough for the helicopter to be ready before trying to bind it and get it off the ground. Like Heli Pad said, I've also never had to actually give any of my little IR helis full throttle to get them to respond. Of course, I don't have a 2012 green/white S107G but still, that seems a bit much...
Yeah I tried the green and you were right....I slowly gave it throttle and the blades started spinning. Btw, for the fakes that needed that full throttle/off throttle initiation, was that every time or just for the first flight. I'm sure these are legit, just thought it would be interesting to try the white again without full throttle to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro2000 View Post
Hi ziocarl, HP offers good advice as normal. If you want slightly more speed, without any real mods, try changing the rear rotor blade for the improved pitch one (PicoZ) and all you have to do is invert the motor.
Invert the motor? I'm in no rush, but is that pretty easy to do?

BTW the white heli (first one we used yesterday) went from an 80 minute charge to a 65 minute charge on round 2. Hoping for less next time.

So we flew the green one this morning and it worked pretty much like the white. Had a couple more minutes to play with it and was able to get it moving straight longer and faster. I think their both fine. Will be interesting to see if I notice any differences over time.

The only thing I did notice was that the green would hover straight and turn on a dime, but when I pushed it forward, it would start to rotate. I tried adjusting the trim(?) in the opposite direction, but in the end, I noticed that if if I pushed forward and just slightly (like a degree or two left or right) in the opposite direction of the spin, it would fly straight. Not sure if I wasn't pushing totally straight before. So does toilet-bowling happen on hover usually or when going straight?

Can't wait to play with them more. Daughter was laughing the whole time. Especially when we would crash into something by mistake or when the heli would come too close to us. You guys were right though, I felt relatively safe with the blades hitting things. I think it mowed into my shin at one point and the blades just kinda stopped.
ziocarl is offline Find More Posts by ziocarl
Last edited by ziocarl; May 08, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old May 08, 2012, 10:53 AM
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
470 Posts
Yes, it is easy to invert the motor, simply undo the screw and turn.
Old May 08, 2012, 11:23 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,820 Posts
Read in-line responses in blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziocarl View Post
What do you man by tail decoration? Any negative effects from removing it?

By tail decoration, I mean the vertical tail fin just in front of the tail rotor; the horizontal arrow shape fin; and the two support beams and attachments. They are mostly decorations and not very functional. By removing them you do two things, lighten the weight of the helicopter and shifting the center of gravity forward. Both will increase performance.

Btw, for the fakes that needed that full throttle/off throttle initiation, was that every time or just for the first flight.

The fakes need to do that every time you turn on the Tx.

The only thing I did notice was that the green would hover straight and turn on a dime, but when I pushed it forward, it would start to rotate. I tried adjusting the trim(?) in the opposite direction, but in the end, I noticed that if if I pushed forward and just slightly (like a degree or two left or right) in the opposite direction of the spin, it would fly straight. Not sure if I wasn't pushing totally straight before. So does toilet-bowling happen on hover usually or when going straight?

If it hover straight, there is no reason for it to turn in forward flight. Chances are your thumb is playing tricks on you. Anyways, a degree or two is nothing. Sooner of later, you would realize that it is your job, as a pilot to compensate any deviation in flight. The more you progress in this hobby, the more it is required of you to fly it, than the helicopter flying itself. So, consider this a good practice. TBE is in hovering and it is very pronounced. If you are interested in learning more about it, or other more technical stuff about the S107, there are a few articles in my blog page. (Just click on my name to get to them).

Can't wait to play with them more. Daughter was laughing the whole time. Especially when we would crash into something by mistake or when the heli would come too close to us.

Simply precious.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old May 08, 2012, 11:41 AM
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
470 Posts
zio, I can vouch for HP's advice, having just tried it, and I can confirm it is at least 50% faster than out of the box, even if it has lost some of its good looks. I doubt i will mod any further.
Old May 08, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined May 2012
33 Posts
Thanks again for the advice! I'm involved in a few forums on different topics and so far this has been one of the most civilized and helpful! Is it because, in this thread, we all are fans of this particular heli, or are RC heli people just nice in general?

Micro2000, where can one find the PicoZ blade?

Would be fun to leave one heli alone and mod the other....in time.
ziocarl is offline Find More Posts by ziocarl