HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 04:55 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziocarl View Post
Thanks to Heli Pad and the extra patience he had with me, I've picked two helis and am going with the charger he suggested. No one else really recommended a specific charger so...
Yah, I've got a discontinued version. I've got four 2-port Griffin Powerbricks that output 500mA per port. They don't make these anymore since the ipod requires 1A outputs. Since you can't get the 500mA version anymore (at least from Amazon...) and I haven't tested the 1A version, I didn't recommend my choice...
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 05:16 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Joined Jan 2011
1,897 Posts
Click here to see if I am ready to move on from the s107.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old May 03, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined May 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Yah, I've got a discontinued version. I've got four 2-port Griffin Powerbricks that output 500mA per port. They don't make these anymore since the ipod requires 1A outputs. Since you can't get the 500mA version anymore (at least from Amazon...) and I haven't tested the 1A version, I didn't recommend my choice...
No problem...you have been very helpful as well. I'm considering buying 2 of the 850 mah chargers just because they are so cheap and then we can charge two helis at once, but from a bunch of research I did on regular AA battery chargers, I know that a fast, hot charge kill long-term battery life....so I might just buy 1 for now and then do some more research.

BTW, if the battery in the heli does die, can I easily replace it? How much?
ziocarl is offline Find More Posts by ziocarl
Old May 03, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
Quote:
No problem...you have been very helpful as well. I'm considering buying 2 of the 850 mah chargers just because they are so cheap and then we can charge two helis at once, but from a bunch of research I did on regular AA battery chargers, I know that a fast, hot charge kill long-term battery life....so I might just buy 1 for now and then do some more research.

BTW, if the battery in the heli does die, can I easily replace it? How much?
Yeah, I've got 10 of these little helis of multiple colors ranging from the S107G, S105G, S111G, S206G, S110G, and the JXD 339 so I've got plenty of mouths to feed once my son and I are done flying them. With my four chargers I can charge 8 of them simultaneously so that helps reduce downtime.

As for replacing a battery, it's not too hard as long as you're okay with soldering and applying heatshrink. For a S107G, you just remove the two screws that hold the canopy in place and then pull it off. You have your choice of either clipping the wires of the old battery and splicing the new battery back into it or else soldering (and desoldering) directly from the motherboard. It's your choice.

Here's a link to a $5.00 battery that I bought to replace one in my S105G:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Origin...6082859&sr=8-1

but if you shop around you might find one cheaper. The full fuselage helis (S111G, S102G, S108G, S109G, S026G) are more fiddly to disassemble and reassemble because of all the tiny screws holding their canopies together but it's definitely doable.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 06:30 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
I'm gonna skip the Champ and move on myself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=hx5Es0bnulM#!

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old May 03, 2012, 07:24 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,742 Posts
Gordonzo, You are a genius! LOL.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old May 03, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined May 2012
36 Posts
LOL...I hope I don't seem that bad. Hey, I knew to start with the s107 ;-) BTW, what IS next after this? (already planning my next move)...100MPH?? SWEET!
Old May 04, 2012, 09:22 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
4ch rf v911 seems to be a popular next step. i know it worked out well for me. cheap and lots of low cost easy to find parts. excellent outdoors.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old May 04, 2012, 12:56 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Joined Jan 2011
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I'm gonna skip the Champ and move on myself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=hx5Es0bnulM#!

Mike.
That animation was the inspiration for mine . . . can you tell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Gordonzo, You are a genius! LOL.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old May 04, 2012, 11:23 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post

out of
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old May 05, 2012, 03:11 AM
S107G MSR MSRX 120SR Nano QX
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
476 Posts
Good morning gordonzo, that video is shear brillance!
micro2000 is offline Find More Posts by micro2000
Old May 05, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined May 2012
36 Posts
The two S107G's and the charger arrived today...that was fast!

Here are the first pics. I wanted to wait for my daughter to open the boxes, but can you tell me anything from the packaging and views below regarding authenticity?

BTW, the charger I ordered per Heli Pads suggestion appears to be a 350 mAH. Not sure whatever happened to the 800 it was reportedly rated....not that I care.

Please let me know if you need different/larger views. Thanks!
Old May 06, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
Well, all 3 of my symas arrived in boxes that were darned near identical to that. It looks pretty good but I think you'll have to pop the helis out of the boxes and take a close look at their circuit boards.

When I've had to return helis before (I had two S110Gs with bad TBE that I returned) I took them out of the boxes, flew them, decided I had to return them, put them back into their boxes pretty much identically to how they came out, and sent them back with no problems.

I'd recommend popping them out and seeing if they turn on, bind to the controller, and can hover okay. Then I'd get as close a view of the circuit board as possible and see if you can send a pic of whatever revision of the board is in there for us to see.

I'm jealous. I've got those two colors on my "wishlist" to join my yellow, red, and blue S107Gs.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined May 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Well, all 3 of my symas arrived in boxes that were darned near identical to that. It looks pretty good but I think you'll have to pop the helis out of the boxes and take a close look at their circuit boards.

When I've had to return helis before (I had two S110Gs with bad TBE that I returned) I took them out of the boxes, flew them, decided I had to return them, put them back into their boxes pretty much identically to how they came out, and sent them back with no problems.

I'd recommend popping them out and seeing if they turn on, bind to the controller, and can hover okay. Then I'd get as close a view of the circuit board as possible and see if you can send a pic of whatever revision of the board is in there for us to see.

I'm jealous. I've got those two colors on my "wishlist" to join my yellow, red, and blue S107Gs.
Will do. BTW, the circuit board on both is red and text reads "S107R5 SMLBH," but I will get a pic to post soon, and report on how well they work.

BTW, why specifically did you return yours? Did they not turn on/bind to the controller/or hover, or was is something more subjective?
Old May 06, 2012, 06:42 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Will do. BTW, the circuit board on both is red and text reads "S107R5 SMLBH," but I will get a pic to post soon, and report on how well they work.
Both those S107 helis look fine
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft