SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:07 PM
Registered User
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,433 Posts
I think a lot of you are placing way too much trust/faith, or whatever in these 10 cent pager motors that were built and meant for intermittent use as a vibrator in a cell phone but are now being mis-appropriatiated for almost fulltime full power use as a powerplant in a small RC plane or helicopter.

Some of these cheap little motors fail and are replaced in their intended use in the first day or week of service. Yet our hobby company expects us to see that as natural attrition and charge us a lot more than the 10 cents it cost them.

I haven't found a good source for fair priced brushed coreless pager motors in the sizes we are interested in without crazy order numbers in the tens of thousands.

For any of you out there with more skills in dealing with chinese vendors, we are looking for in the Syma S107, 4mm diameter motors for tail, 7mm for the main motors, but need 1 clockwise and 1 counter-clockwise. For many of our 4 channel single rotor 2.4 Ghz indoor/outdoor choppers it seems that 8.5mm is very common for mains, and 6mm for tail motors. Many of the UDI and Syma coaxials use 6mm for main motors and the same 4mm as Syma S107 for tail motors.

In almost all cases the problems in my little squadron of 8 choppers, half infra-red, half 2.4 Ghz 4 channel, the motors have been the weak point and spares have become second nature to any new order.

A spare main board can't hurt if you have a few of the same type helicopter.

Good Luck All in keeping motors from wearing out and needing replacement in these little brushed motor vehicles.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:50 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
BD Murdock's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Modding the Tx

Anybody know if it's possible and if so how to go about changing the stock 107 Tx to mimic a mode 2, 4 channel as far as the left stick goes? I'm flying my V911 soo much now that a quick buzz with the 107 is strange cuz the left stick is only collective ILO collective & rudder.

I'm guessing it's rearranging wiring and solder points but I'm not even gonna try till I'm sure.

Thanks
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:42 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Jake8131's Avatar
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,391 Posts
Blue Syma s107g clone I got at ALDIs at last years christmas sale....still going strong...everything stock and original as it came out of the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3AM-bs9eNg
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:42 AM
Vroooom putta putta putta
SubtleT's Avatar
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
Anybody know if it's possible and if so how to go about changing the stock 107 Tx to mimic a mode 2, 4 channel as far as the left stick goes? I'm flying my V911 soo much now that a quick buzz with the 107 is strange cuz the left stick is only collective ILO collective & rudder.

I'm guessing it's rearranging wiring and solder points but I'm not even gonna try till I'm sure.

Thanks
Even a cursory examination should show you there's a lot more to it.

Why not just learn Mode 4 flying? It's the wave of the future in 4Ch anyway.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:06 AM
Impossible? Hah!
KreAture's Avatar
Oslo Fornebu, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
3,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Blue Syma s107g clone I got at ALDIs at last years christmas sale....still going strong...everything stock and original as it came out of the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3AM-bs9eNg
That looks a LOT like a Blue 9026. They come in Red, Green and Blue.
KreAture is offline Find More Posts by KreAture
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
9 Posts
Hello everyone,
First time posting here and wanted to share something that I just saw on amazon. I had to return my new green s107g because of a bad motor A and was looking to just buy a new one and came across a posting there for a new 2012 rare black syma s107g! It looks pretty awesome and comes with a complete rebuild set with blades and tail decorations and main shaft...etc and a wall charger! All for under 40 bucks and I was just wondering if anyone has this or has seen one or seem what I am talking about for sale on amazon? If this is a genuine syma that they have released this year I will definitely pick one up so if some people here can check it out on amazon and also maybe just google search rare black syma s107g or syma s107g black series that would be great and maybe post back to let me and everyone else know if this is actually a real syma? But I think the color scheme is really cool and what you get with it is a great value. Thanks everyone!
nikku2012 is offline Find More Posts by nikku2012
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:59 AM
S107G MSR MSRX 120SR Nano QX
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
476 Posts
Before you buy, check to see where you can get spares from. I have the bright green 2012 model, and spares are not easy to find
micro2000 is offline Find More Posts by micro2000
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:20 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
9 Posts
Yeah I know that is what I had was the 2012 green one but like I said this one comes with a complete set of replacement parts from the 4 blades to all the tail decorations and all the other parts. I looked it up and thinkrc.com is selling this new black one as well. I'd include a picture but i'm posting with my phone and not too sure how to add pics but amazon has it and is sold by rc toy village and if you search rare 2012 black syma s107g it will pop up. I just want some thoughts about it before I order. With it coming with a complete set of everything finding replacement parts shouldn't be an issue.
nikku2012 is offline Find More Posts by nikku2012
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:37 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikku2012 View Post
Hello everyone,
First time posting here and wanted to share something that I just saw on amazon. I had to return my new green s107g because of a bad motor A and was looking to just buy a new one and came across a posting there for a new 2012 rare black syma s107g! It looks pretty awesome and comes with a complete rebuild set with blades and tail decorations and main shaft...etc and a wall charger! All for under 40 bucks and I was just wondering if anyone has this or has seen one or seem what I am talking about for sale on amazon? If this is a genuine syma that they have released this year I will definitely pick one up so if some people here can check it out on amazon and also maybe just google search rare black syma s107g or syma s107g black series that would be great and maybe post back to let me and everyone else know if this is actually a real syma? But I think the color scheme is really cool and what you get with it is a great value. Thanks everyone!
Interesting find. I have not had a chance to examine one up close. But from the looks of it, it *appears* to be genuine.

However, I won't personally place an order for it. Here are my reasons. Unless I'm a collector of every made and color of S107G, black would be my least favorite. I like light and bright colors, so that it is easy on the eyes. Not that this is going outdoor or fly great distances. But when you fly outdoor, the color makes a huge difference when it comes to telling the orientation of the helicopter. Somehow, my philosophy there carries to the S107G. The other reason is that with prices close to $20/ea, for $40, I'd rather buy 2 S107G than to buy this package. Instead of having a whole bunch of spare parts around that I may or may not need, I'd have 2 flying helicopters! If one happens to fail, I'd use it a parts donor and I have way more parts that way.

But that's just me. If you're a collector, I'm sure that *rarity* worth something to you. I'm just looking at it from a practical angle.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:51 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
9 Posts
Your right those are all great points but for the new 2012 colors they are around 30 dollars and finding the replacement parts for them are kinda difficult if you should happen to break a blade or tail decoration and the cheapest i've seen for replacement blades set for the new green was
7.99 so the 40 dollars for this black/neon yellow to me isn't that bad plus you get the wall charger. I kinda like the look of the black and this is only an indoor helicopter so seeing it shouldn't be an issue. I'm gonna try to post pics here... maybe this will work i'm new at this so I'll see how it goes? But thank you for your input.
nikku2012 is offline Find More Posts by nikku2012
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
4,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
I think a lot of you are placing way too much trust/faith, or whatever in these 10 cent pager motors that were built and meant for intermittent use as a vibrator in a cell phone but are now being mis-appropriatiated for almost fulltime full power use as a powerplant in a small RC plane or helicopter.
Good advice there. Whenever I make an order for Syma-related parts, I'll look up some of these little replacement motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
Anybody know if it's possible and if so how to go about changing the stock 107 Tx to mimic a mode 2, 4 channel as far as the left stick goes? I'm flying my V911 soo much now that a quick buzz with the 107 is strange cuz the left stick is only collective ILO collective & rudder.

I'm guessing it's rearranging wiring and solder points but I'm not even gonna try till I'm sure.
Nope. I wanted to know the same thing and I opened up my TX to take a look at it. The sticks are soldered directly to the PCB so if you wanted to make a mode 2 controller you'd very likely have to take 2 controllers, remove the PCB from one and remove the sticks from the other. Then you might solder wires from its sticks and then connect those to the other PCB or something. That's just a guess and there's probably more elegant solutions for people who actually know how to work plastic and something.

I quickly gave this up and just learned how to go from 3Ch to 4Ch. Flying the Symas is more like driving a little RC car in my mind now. I do keep trying to initially apply rudder to the left stick though when I start flying so that tells me that mode-2 is my "default" now which is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
Why not just learn Mode 4 flying? It's the wave of the future in 4Ch anyway.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:18 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
RoboHeli's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
4,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikku2012 View Post
Your right those are all great points but for the new 2012 colors they are around 30 dollars and finding the replacement parts for them are kinda difficult if you should happen to break a blade or tail decoration and the cheapest i've seen for replacement blades set for the new green was
7.99 so the 40 dollars for this black/neon yellow to me isn't that bad plus you get the wall charger. I kinda like the look of the black and this is only an indoor helicopter so seeing it shouldn't be an issue. I'm gonna try to post pics here... maybe this will work i'm new at this so I'll see how it goes? But thank you for your input.
Do you have the link for this?

I found on at thinkrc:

http://www.thinkrc.com/35ch-syma-s10...es-p-1721.html

but if you wanted a totally black S107G-like heli, I believe the Helizone rebrands look and fly the same:


http://www.amazon.com/Helizone-RC-Fi...5370515&sr=1-1
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:32 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
9 Posts
Not sure if your asking about the link for the heli on amazon or not but no I don't... If you go onto amazon and just search for 2012 rare black syma s107g it pops right up. I saw that on thinkrc and with shipping it is cheaper than on amazon but I don't think you get the wall charger with it thru thinkrc?
nikku2012 is offline Find More Posts by nikku2012
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:09 PM
Registered User
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,433 Posts
For those of you interested in the new 2012 S107's and parts, I just got an e-mail from amazon listing a bunch of stuff. http://www.amazon.com/sim/B0074EN40I...53710_23678810

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:09 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,763 Posts
Links

2012 S107G Black, $39.99

2012 S107G White, $19.99

2012 S107G Green, $19.99
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale 3-channel Micro IR S107 Metal HoneyBee Helicopter No.ES0107 (with Gyro) mictopwin Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 8 May 09, 2011 02:47 PM
Discussion V-max .vs. Falcon-X .vs. Syma 3 S107? 7immy Mini Helis 12 Apr 07, 2011 05:11 PM
Discussion Mosquito 3CH Radio Control Helicopter Version 2 by Syma Wayno-san Micro Ready-to-Fly 39 Dec 26, 2010 03:36 PM