HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:24 PM
noob
Veccster's Avatar
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
be aware it is no longer legal to make most incandescent bulbs in the us. better stock up.
Wrong. On December 16th, 2011, the ban was overturned by congress. No need to run out to the store to buy incandescent bulbs...they'll be on sale for a while longer.

Florescents are a nice upgrade anyway though. They are 4x more energy efficient. I got a bunch for free from my electric company (kinda like Marlboro offering smoking sesation classes ).
Veccster is offline Find More Posts by Veccster
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:50 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Wrong. On December 16th, 2011, the ban was overturned by congress. No need to run out to the store to buy incandescent bulbs...they'll be on sale for a while longer.
actually delayed but not overturned. still goes into effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-o...nt_light_bulbs

Quote:
The efficiency standards will start with 100-watt bulbs and end with 40-watt bulbs. The timeline for these standards was to start in January 2012, but on December 16, 2011, the U.S. House passed the final 2012 budget legislation, which effectively delayed the implementation until October 2012.[41]

By 2020, a second tier of restrictions would become effective, which requires all general-purpose bulbs to produce at least 45 lumens per watt (similar to current CFLs).

In 2011, Rep. Joe Barton of Texas and 14 other Republicans joined to introduce the Better Use of Light Bulbs Act or BULB Act (H.R. 91), which would have repealed Subtitle B of Title III of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. On July 12, 2011, H.R. 2417 failed to pass by the required two-thirds[clarification needed] majority in the U.S. House.[44]
interesting that conservatives scurry from conservation like cockroaches from the light. my motivation for getting rid of incandescent was to help keep my electric bill in the $15-$20 range (yearly avg/mo). that includes light, heat, fridge, microwave, tv, internet, and of course lipo charging.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:36 PM
Registered User
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Jan 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
...interesting that conservatives scurry from conservation like cockroaches from the light. my motivation for getting rid of incandescent was to help keep my electric bill in the $15-$20 range (yearly avg/mo). that includes light, heat, fridge, microwave, tv, internet, and of course lipo charging.
Interesting that liberals scurry from the free market like "cockroaches from the light".

Now, back to the topic: SYMA S107 HELICOPTER
Aurora Chris is offline Find More Posts by Aurora Chris
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:38 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
not so good a play on words though. lol!
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:53 AM
S107G MSR MSRX 120SR Nano QX
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
actually delayed but not overturned. still goes into effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-o...nt_light_bulbs



interesting that conservatives scurry from conservation like cockroaches from the light. my motivation for getting rid of incandescent was to help keep my electric bill in the $15-$20 range (yearly avg/mo). that includes light, heat, fridge, microwave, tv, internet, and of course lipo charging.
and I thought my bills were quite good at 141pm for gas and electricity!!
micro2000 is offline Find More Posts by micro2000
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:05 AM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Auflyer's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Laurieton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro2000 View Post
and I thought my bills were quite good at 141pm for gas and electricity!!
You should try electricity prices in Australia. Currently 28 cents a kw plus connection fee. My bills average $800 a quarter. Will get worse in July when we get a carbon tax !!! Anyway back on topic, I have just got a s107 for my 6 yo. Having a great time with it
Auflyer is offline Find More Posts by Auflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:54 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auflyer View Post
You should try electricity prices in Australia. Currently 28 cents a kw plus connection fee. My bills average $800 a quarter. Will get worse in July when we get a carbon tax !!! Anyway back on topic, I have just got a s107 for my 6 yo. Having a great time with it
$400 to $600 per month for combined natural gas and electricity here in southeastern Michigan.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:03 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
dutchcommando's Avatar
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
let's bump it back on topic..

today my syma clone "with extras" arrived.
it's the "Micro Spycam Helicopter" from HK.
it is a Syma 107 clone with a camera underneath it.






first the basics.. flight.
it flies like a charm, straight as an arrow (after a little trimming) and a very stable hover. the RC hasn't got a spring on the throttle stick, so i can "hang" the copter in the air and put the controller away.
the controller has several functions.. the "normal ones": throttle, pitch and yaw. but it has more functions.... i can start/stop filming with the push of a button, i can take a picture with the push of another button..
and i still have buttons on it! one button is demo mode... once the copter hovers i can push the "demo" button and it will fly forward, backward and turn left and turn right without any stick input (exept throttle, it doesn't have att hold. )
also it has a acceleration button.. say what now? yups.. acceleration if i put the copter in forward flight it just does that.. fly forward in a moderate speed.. but when i'm in forward flight and push the acc. button (and hold it) it flies fast(er) forward. my room isn't big enough to try a full speed flight, but it's pretty fast!

also there's a button to turn off and on the lights (one white led in front center, two rainbow leds on the front, and one rainbow led left and one right)

the copter acts completely different once the camera is turned on.
forward flight is slow (acc. button does not work now) and yaw is slow to. this gives very nice and stable video's, but it's like a tortoise in the air...

flight time without using the cam is about 12 minutes (moderate flying,and stopping with flying once i need more than 80% throttle to hover)
the lipo stays pretty cool, and the engines are cool.
with continues video recording i got about 10 minutes flying time.

not to bad huh?

it has a 220Mah lipo..

for now the only downside is charging time, and i don't have enough room to get some high speed flights

as i can't leave things alone and have to "customize" everything i own. (i build Harley's and custom motorcycles as my other "hobby") the copter has been torn apart a little already..
i removed the canopy and replaced the led's. nothing fancy yet...
but new lipo's are ordered (400Mah 20C) and i will make swapable lipos .. (letting the charge board on the copter, and be able to charge through the copter controller/usb and use a lipo charger)

the camera is attached with 4 screws and one connector. removing the camera will make even out the heavier lipo i guess. and i gives me a switchable outlet. not sure what to use it for though.. but always nice to have..
in the (distant) future i will also convert the IR to 2.4Ghz.


i should have gotten me one of these way sooner!
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:41 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2010
17 Posts
Wow, I love the blacked out look, and it sounds like a fair amount of thought went into adding the camera, beyond just strapping it to the bottom. Very nice!
nemebean is offline Find More Posts by nemebean
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:11 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchcommando View Post
let's bump it back on topic..

today my syma clone "with extras" arrived.
it's the "Micro Spycam Helicopter" from HK.
it is a Syma 107 clone with a camera underneath it.






first the basics.. flight.
it flies like a charm, straight as an arrow (after a little trimming) and a very stable hover. the RC hasn't got a spring on the throttle stick, so i can "hang" the copter in the air and put the controller away.
the controller has several functions.. the "normal ones": throttle, pitch and yaw. but it has more functions.... i can start/stop filming with the push of a button, i can take a picture with the push of another button..
and i still have buttons on it! one button is demo mode... once the copter hovers i can push the "demo" button and it will fly forward, backward and turn left and turn right without any stick input (exept throttle, it doesn't have att hold. )
also it has a acceleration button.. say what now? yups.. acceleration if i put the copter in forward flight it just does that.. fly forward in a moderate speed.. but when i'm in forward flight and push the acc. button (and hold it) it flies fast(er) forward. my room isn't big enough to try a full speed flight, but it's pretty fast!

also there's a button to turn off and on the lights (one white led in front center, two rainbow leds on the front, and one rainbow led left and one right)

the copter acts completely different once the camera is turned on.
forward flight is slow (acc. button does not work now) and yaw is slow to. this gives very nice and stable video's, but it's like a tortoise in the air...

flight time without using the cam is about 12 minutes (moderate flying,and stopping with flying once i need more than 80% throttle to hover)
the lipo stays pretty cool, and the engines are cool.
with continues video recording i got about 10 minutes flying time.

not to bad huh?

it has a 220Mah lipo..

for now the only downside is charging time, and i don't have enough room to get some high speed flights

as i can't leave things alone and have to "customize" everything i own. (i build Harley's and custom motorcycles as my other "hobby") the copter has been torn apart a little already..
i removed the canopy and replaced the led's. nothing fancy yet...
but new lipo's are ordered (400Mah 20C) and i will make swapable lipos .. (letting the charge board on the copter, and be able to charge through the copter controller/usb and use a lipo charger)

the camera is attached with 4 screws and one connector. removing the camera will make even out the heavier lipo i guess. and i gives me a switchable outlet. not sure what to use it for though.. but always nice to have..
in the (distant) future i will also convert the IR to 2.4Ghz.


i should have gotten me one of these way sooner!
I checked it out on Hobbyking. I even put the $27 helicopter that weighs 50 grams into a shopping cart. It has a shipping weight of nearly 900 grams and the shipping charge is $21 (cheapest to USA). Geeze, HK is acting more and more like a EBAY seller. $.03 for an item and $10 to ship. Yes, I know it is RTF but goodness, how inflated are the shipping weights? 2 lbs?
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Mar 06, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:39 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchcommando View Post
let's bump it back on topic..

today my syma clone "with extras" arrived.
it's the "Micro Spycam Helicopter" from HK.
DC, Thank you for gracing us with your excellent review of this model. I think it definitely warrants a separate thread for it. So that its own unique features wouldn't get buried in this humongous thread. What do you think?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:12 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
dutchcommando's Avatar
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I checked it out on Hobbyking. I even put the $27 helicopter that weighs 50 grams into a shopping cart. It has a shipping weight of nearly 900 grams and the shipping charge is $21 (cheapest to USA). Geeze, HK is acting more and more like a EBAY seller. $.03 for an item and $10 to ship. Yes, I know it is RTF but goodness, how inflated are the shipping weights? 2 lbs?
yeah.. shipping costs are getting pretty high with HK..
the whole package is actually quit heavy. i dont have scale (broken.. some stepped on it guess who that was? )
but i estimate the copter itself weights well over 60 grams. add a big (very big..) package and spare parts and transmitter and it's a rhino to ship
i had some room to add more stuff for the weight, so i filled my package up with other stuff..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
DC, Thank you for gracing us with your excellent review of this model. I think it definitely warrants a separate thread for it. So that its own unique features wouldn't get buried in this humongous thread. What do you think?
you are most welcome

if there are more owners it could be an excellent idea to start a fresh thread..
and yes.. the threads on the RCgroups are getting humongous... maybe we could ask the mods to give threads a maximum number of posts. once reached a new thread should be started. keeps it all a bit more to comprehend..

....... ow wait... lipo is charged again! i'm going to fly the thing for the 18th time today! i just can't get enough of it!
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:03 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Jake8131's Avatar
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,323 Posts
How much? and where?
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:09 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
dutchcommando's Avatar
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
$28,27 at hobby king

coolio.. after 21 flights i made a serious crash..(well i made a lot.. but this one was very hard..)
i stripped a gear. lost one teeth on it.. still runs strong.. but makes a little bit more noise.
and the blades have some fresh battle marks..

the gears are exactly the same as the syma 107 gears. (many clones have other gears) so i'm ordering fresh gears. but as it still flies strong, i'm using snail mail to get fresh gears.. let's see how much flights i can get with the stripped gear
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:25 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,660 Posts
Dutch, if you keep flying with a damaged gear you will be causing more damage to your heli. Motors, just for starters...then the rundown on the battery

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale 3-channel Micro IR S107 Metal HoneyBee Helicopter No.ES0107 (with Gyro) mictopwin Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 8 May 09, 2011 02:47 PM
Discussion V-max .vs. Falcon-X .vs. Syma 3 S107? 7immy Mini Helis 12 Apr 07, 2011 05:11 PM
Discussion Mosquito 3CH Radio Control Helicopter Version 2 by Syma Wayno-san Micro Ready-to-Fly 39 Dec 26, 2010 03:36 PM