SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:11 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,742 Posts
Skrubz, welcome to this thread. (I read the other thread you started, I didn't agree with some comments there.) Anyway, how is your new S107 hovering? When I trim my to hover well, it turns both left and right almost equally well, although I would say that all S107s favor right turns slightly. If yours doesn't turn well at all and have a noticeable difference from your old one, something is wrong. Do you have the option of getting it exchanged or returned and get another one somewhere else? Is your "new" one a 2012 edition? Does it say S107R5 on the PCB?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 04:11 PM
noob
Veccster's Avatar
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
These IR controlled toys don't really "bind" in the traditional sense as in using a RF controller. If you're having issues controlling the helicopter and then all of a sudden it begins to work, or "bound" as you put it, chances are some initial conditions haven't been met. Two things you need to do for these genuine S107 to work:

1) Throttle stick must be at zero in the beginning.
2) Gyro must stabilize (indicated by the LED on PCB going solid).

So when you first turn on the helicopter, the best thing to do is set it down on a solid place, and observe that the LED goes solid. If you keep your helicopter in your hand, and you keep moving it around, the LED will never go solid, and your controller will never be able to communicate with it.
Thanks Heli. That's it then....the throttle stick was not at zero. My problem is it doesn't go to zero (at least not all the time). I flew it a couple more times using the new controller and there are times it will "idle". If I jiggle the stick, it will eventually go all the way off. But in some cases it does not. So when it's "idling", it's not going to "bind" or signal.

I'll just go back to using the controller from 107g #1. It works perfectly.
Veccster is offline Find More Posts by Veccster
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Skrubz, welcome to this thread. (I read the other thread you started, I didn't agree with some comments there.) Anyway, how is your new S107 hovering? When I trim my to hover well, it turns both left and right almost equally well, although I would say that all S107s favor right turns slightly. If yours doesn't turn well at all and have a noticeable difference from your old one, something is wrong. Do you have the option of getting it exchanged or returned and get another one somewhere else? Is your "new" one a 2012 edition? Does it say S107R5 on the PCB?
Do you mean my comments? I've started a few different threads, so I'm not sure which one you're talking about. Yes it is a white and gold one. It hovers very well, but it seems very prone to getting blown around by it's own air. It flies excellent, it just doesn't like to turn left about 50 percent less than it turns right. I CAN trim it so it's even, but then it turns left on it's own and I have to push the right stick right and forward to keep a straight line. I'm not sure if it's an r5 or not, but it should be right? I'll check and edit this in a few minutes.

Edit: yes it's an R5.

Thanks.
skrubz is offline Find More Posts by skrubz
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:51 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,816 Posts
skrubz, take a peek under the canopy to make sure the battery is sitting "squarely" in it's holder. Sometimes they can pop loose and fall to one side or the other. BTW, welcome..

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:41 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrubz View Post
Do you mean my comments? I've started a few different threads, so I'm not sure which one you're talking about. Yes it is a white and gold one. It hovers very well, but it seems very prone to getting blown around by it's own air. It flies excellent, it just doesn't like to turn left about 50 percent less than it turns right. I CAN trim it so it's even, but then it turns left on it's own and I have to push the right stick right and forward to keep a straight line. I'm not sure if it's an r5 or not, but it should be right? I'll check and edit this in a few minutes.

Edit: yes it's an R5.

Thanks.
Oh no, sorry. My words were very unclear this morning. I meant the thread you started in the Micro Heli forum about "which heli?" and I meant the comments that other poster posted. You were given bad advice and I'm glad that you didn't listen to them.

If you have the White/Gold, you have the latest 2012 edition, and it has an S107R5 board. That board has a pretty solid gyro. You should always trim it so that you have a steady hover w/o touching the right stick. Just around all S107 turns right better than left in my experience, but not significantly.

If yours really doesn't perform well, you should seek an exchange or refund while the option is still viable to you.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:55 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,645 Posts
I just looked at my Lipo in my S107. I haven't flown it much but it's already puffing. Geeze. Talk about a bummer. For $21 I expect a Thunderpower cell.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:24 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,645 Posts
Fluorescent light interference

I flew my S107 in the kitch and I turned on a bright fluorescent light and it acted like Plasma screen and LCD interference. The S107 would just drop out of the sky. Funny, I turned the fluorescent light off and it flew just fine.

Very odd.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:30 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
IceRail's Avatar
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I flew my S107 in the kitch and I turned on a bright fluorescent light and it acted like Plasma screen and LCD interference. The S107 would just drop out of the sky. Funny, I turned the fluorescent light off and it flew just fine.

Very odd.
That's normal, mine do it too. The big screen TV (72") also has a habit of shooting my 107's down when I get too close sometimes.
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:34 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRail View Post
That's normal, mine do it too. The big screen TV (72") also has a habit of shooting my 107's down sometimes.
The plasma I get but the fluorescent light was a new one. Lesson learned.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:02 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Oh no, sorry. My words were very unclear this morning. I meant the thread you started in the Micro Heli forum about "which heli?" and I meant the comments that other poster posted. You were given bad advice and I'm glad that you didn't listen to them.

If you have the White/Gold, you have the latest 2012 edition, and it has an S107R5 board. That board has a pretty solid gyro. You should always trim it so that you have a steady hover w/o touching the right stick. Just around all S107 turns right better than left in my experience, but not significantly.

If yours really doesn't perform well, you should seek an exchange or refund while the option is still viable to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
skrubz, take a peek under the canopy to make sure the battery is sitting "squarely" in it's holder. Sometimes they can pop loose and fall to one side or the other. BTW, welcome..

Mike.
Thanks everyone for your help. I've basically decided that it's just fine. I checked everything I could including the battery and everything's fine. But I did notice that it was balanced just a bit to the right, so I removed the right tail boom thing and now it turns left a bit better. Little bit quicker, little less stable, but still a very good flier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
The plasma I get but the fluorescent light was a new one. Lesson learned.
Fluorescent lights are basically putting out sunlight. Sunlight interferes with infrared signals. I'd keep the Fluorescents if I was you. The saving you get on them vs regular lights is worth it even if you can't see your heli as well with them off lol. You could always get LEDs though, if it's a big deal for you. They're more expensive, but even less power consumption and I don't think LEDs interfere with anything at all. lol
skrubz is offline Find More Posts by skrubz
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:30 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrubz View Post
Fluorescent lights are basically putting out sunlight. Sunlight interferes with infrared signals. I'd keep the Fluorescents if I was you. The saving you get on them vs regular lights is worth it even if you can't see your heli as well with them off lol. You could always get LEDs though, if it's a big deal for you. They're more expensive, but even less power consumption and I don't think LEDs interfere with anything at all. lol
note that sunlight and incandescent lights put out 100x more ir than flourescent. i suspect it is high frequency light pulses causeing interference not saturation of the heli sensor. i have a couple dozen flourecsent and 2 flat screen tv in my house but never had problems. maybe switching bulbs will help.

while its true that led is more efficient than incandescent they are not as good as flourescent. led does have zero noise and last longer than both though. and if you do get led lamps make sure to get 3000k or you risk depression.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:35 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
note that sunlight and incandescent lights put out 100x more ir than flourescent. i suspect it is high frequency light pulses causeing interference not saturation of the heli sensor. i have a couple dozen flourecsent and 2 flat screen tv in my house but never had problems. maybe switching bulbs will help.

while its true that led is more efficient than incandescent they are not as good as flourescent. led does have zero noise and last longer than both though. and if you do get led lamps make sure to get 300k or you risk depression.
I think I will just turn the lights off. That's easier and cheaper then finding fluorescent lights that don't interfere.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:07 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
lol! sometimes the simplest and most obvious solution is what eludes us.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:04 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,742 Posts
I came across IR interference from fluorescent lamps years ago when I first switched over to energy savings CFLs. All of a sudden, I couldn't change channels using my cable box remote control. It took me a while to make the connection that whenever I used my CFL, the IR remote control stopped working. Needless to say, that was an unacceptable situation. So out CFL, and in incandescent, at least around my TV watching.

I'm not sure about the Plasma TV technology and I've never own one. But I know that original LCD TV uses a fluorescent lamp, until LED comes along. I don't know how exactly fluorescent technology interferes with IR. Whether it is because of its switching frequency, or intensity, I'm not sure. I just know that it does.

Having said that, not ALL fluorescent lamps interfere with our helicopter control though. It should not be a blanket statement. Currently, my room uses all fluorescent lamps. Yet, I fly my IR controlled helicopter in it all the time, with no issues. So, I think it depends on the frequency or something. Just experiment with it, and change it to a different type of bulb, or stay away from certain area when flying, that's all.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:12 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
be aware it is no longer legal to make most incandescent bulbs in the us. better stock up.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale 3-channel Micro IR S107 Metal HoneyBee Helicopter No.ES0107 (with Gyro) mictopwin Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 8 May 09, 2011 02:47 PM
Discussion V-max .vs. Falcon-X .vs. Syma 3 S107? 7immy Mini Helis 12 Apr 07, 2011 05:11 PM
Discussion Mosquito 3CH Radio Control Helicopter Version 2 by Syma Wayno-san Micro Ready-to-Fly 39 Dec 26, 2010 03:36 PM