HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:55 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,614 Posts
S107 from Meritline

I am a repeating customer of Meritline.com, but only 1st time customer for helicopters. I've known all along that Meritline sells genuine S107 as well as knock-offs (Cyclones). Buyers beware and make sure you don't buy one of their clones.

I ordered a couple of Syma S107s Blue from them because of their attractive 2-pack deals. 2 for $39 shipped. The deal is still live as I write this. I placed my order Sunday afternoon and I received my order today. The helicopters were shipped from a US warehouse, in a plastic bag, no outer box. There were very minor damages on the boxes, but the contents were in perfect condition.

After a thorough examination, I concluded that these are Genuine S107s. The only unusual thing about them is that they have an extra "SkyMaster" sticker next to the SYMA logo. They come with a 2-band Tx, and a R5 PCB. They fly perfect, out of the box.

I have attached pictures for your review. If you are looking to buy classic blue S107 in 2-pack increments, from a US warehouse, I recommend this as a good deal.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:00 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,906 Posts
But only available in the USA.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:03 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Thanks for the report Heli Pad.
I also am waiting for mine to arrive. Should be tomorrow.
I had a feeling they would ship in a plastic bag instead of a box.
Oh well.
They are both gifts.
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:04 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Hey Durk,
Move to America if you are jealous that you can't get the deal
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
Buy it, Mod it, Fly it!!
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindecay View Post
HELP!!!!
My Little green S107G has suddenly gone from the recommended 5 minutes flight to around 2 minutes. It almost seems to happend over night.
The battery looks fine ( no puffing up) and has plenty of power on start up then 2 minutes in suddenly drops off.
Do I just need a new battery.... it has had some hammer
So, this is the thing. It appeared my battery was giving up. I had charged it three times since my copter started showing loss of power and every time I got the same thing. However..I thought I would try charging the 107 on the tx which seemed to take forever but after the charge it was fine. I have since gone back to charging on the usb and every thing seems well and good... back to full flying time
The only strange thing I noticed is that after the charge on the tx the copter wouldn't turn the top blades for a second or two, but then it just kicked in and has been fine since.....
maybe what ever gremlin was in it has cleared!! I am just happy that shes back in the air full time
braindecay is offline Find More Posts by braindecay
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
So, this is the thing. It appeared my battery was giving up. I had charged it three times since my copter started showing loss of power and every time I got the same thing. However..I thought I would try charging the 107 on the tx which seemed to take forever but after the charge it was fine. I have since gone back to charging on the usb and every thing seems well and good... back to full flying time
The only strange thing I noticed is that after the charge on the tx the copter wouldn't turn the top blades for a second or two, but then it just kicked in and has been fine since.....
maybe what ever gremlin was in it has cleared!! I am just happy that shes back in the air full time
Put your lip on the two main motors after a flight. I might still suspect some heat, especially from the one that runs the top blades, that should be the back motor. Could be early stages of a problem, but burning through a battery and not starting up immediately are some common indicators.

I wish you luck, but these little pager motors really aren't meant for the almost continuous use we put them to. Replacing a pair on this helicopter only costs about $4 and you should even be able to get free shipping with that.

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:37 PM
Buy it, Mod it, Fly it!!
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Put your lip on the two main motors after a flight. I might still suspect some heat, especially from the one that runs the top blades, that should be the back motor. Could be early stages of a problem, but burning through a battery and not starting up immediately are some common indicators.

I wish you luck, but these little pager motors really aren't meant for the almost continuous use we put them to. Replacing a pair on this helicopter only costs about $4 and you should even be able to get free shipping with that.

John
Thanks John, think I'll order some spares as I will eventually need some anyway and just keep flying until whatever it is comes back or fails...
braindecay is offline Find More Posts by braindecay
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:44 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I ordered a couple of Syma S107s Blue from them because of their attractive 2-pack deals. 2 for $39 shipped.
Thanks for the link! Ordered!

(These are just too much fun not to have a few on hand to give as gifts.)
Phazer51 is offline Find More Posts by Phazer51
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:17 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazer51 View Post
Thanks for the link! Ordered!

(These are just too much fun not to have a few on hand to give as gifts.)
Yep, I just ordered two myself.
Thanks for the post Heli Pad. I was just going to post the question this morning whether or not meritline ones where real or not. That's a great deal.
XDRoX is offline Find More Posts by XDRoX
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:34 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
I thought I would try charging the 107 on the tx which seemed to take forever but after the charge it was fine.
some in this thread seem to underestimate the dangers of fast charging. im convinced its the #1 cause of failure. exceeding the current limit of the protection board results in partial charging at best. fast charging below that limit increases internal resistance so the cell cannot supply current and also number of cycles is reduced big time. scratchbuilt foamie guys know this well.

personally ive concuded the slower the charge the better. unpopular opinion i realise but it might help to spend some time in the rcgroups battery forum where these guys really test these things scientifically.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:45 PM
morris alabama
Joined Feb 2001
367 Posts
Is it possible to move the rudder(yaw) control to the left stick?
tigermoth is offline Find More Posts by tigermoth
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:14 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Yep, I just ordered two myself.
Thanks for the post Heli Pad. I was just going to post the question this morning whether or not meritline ones where real or not. That's a great deal.
You're welcome. There is no doubt in my mind that these are genuine S107s. But let me also point out a couple of sloppiness in the factory that you should be aware of. I've gone through 2 samples. Both of them have QC stickers on them, so they must have passed some QC tests. But they didn't pass my higher standard.

First of all, when you first get your heli and when you're getting ready to put batteries into your Tx, be very careful opening the cover. There is suppose a retainer ring that goes on the battery cover screw. But in my case, both of them were not on. And if you're not paying attention, the 1st time you open that cover up, you will lose the retainer ring forever. See photos below for the separate ring and screw. The screw should be through the ring, so the screw is retained with the cover (as illustrated).

Secondly, if you don't ever use the Tx to charge your helicopter, it won't be an issue, but if you do, you could pull on the charging cable too hard, and cause it to come off the circuit board. There should be a knot on the cable to prevent it from pulling at the solder point. But again, sloppy workmanship render the knot completely ineffective. So, I opened my Tx and re-tie the knot to where it should be.

Hope this helps.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
Is it possible to move the rudder(yaw) control to the left stick?
On a Syma S107 you may have noticed that the left stick only has up/down for throttle. Moving it as you are interested in is totally counterproductive to what this $22 helicopter was made for.

It's not meant to be a trainer for 4 channel flying, it's a 3 channel toy that is immensely better than the really crappy 2 channel toys before it. I would say enjoy it as such, it is a nice flying 3 channel copter, not fast, but easily controlled without much training or practice.

If you are ready after this heli, the next should be a 4 channel copter. there are many and picking one yourself without my recommendation would be much more satisfying than just going by the first fool who tells you that it should probably be a Blade mCPX or a Air hogs sky flyer.

Enjoy the S107 as long as you can. If you move in the usual accepted progression, your next step is gonna hurt a bit.

Love

John
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
my buddy who ordered 2 blues same time as my red/yellow got his today. mine are still a week away according to tracking. whats up with that? i hope its because they are sending me red and yellow which for some reason take longer.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
my buddy who ordered 2 blues same time as my red/yellow got his today. mine are still a week away according to tracking. whats up with that? i hope its because they are sending me red and yellow which for some reason take longer.
No it's probably just a criminal back check