HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
Buy it, Mod it, Fly it!!
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Check for hot motors and hot batteries. The motors go out on these more often than the battery. Check all 3 motors, but it's usually the front main motors that go.

John
Motors appear to be okay John, they are not not even warm after 2 minutes. The power loss is more noticable aproaching the 2 minute mark. Pull the stick for backwards movement and you can watch the rear tail drag the copter to the floor.
Its on charge again but using the tx to charge this time instead of the usb cable...
braindecay is offline Find More Posts by braindecay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Dec 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Did you turn on the remote control first?
I stand corrected - that's the first thing I would have tried.
nemebean is offline Find More Posts by nemebean
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Still nothing ready to send it back
Steveo1741 is offline Find More Posts by Steveo1741
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:04 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1741 View Post
Still nothing ready to send it back
Still very interested to know if it's a genuine Syma
XDRoX is offline Find More Posts by XDRoX
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Jan 2012
109 Posts
Quote:
I stopped by my house on my lunch break and found a little surprise. The UPS guys dropped off a package of the three new colors.

I ordered these from hobby-estore. I placed my order last Saturday night. They shipped Monday with a tracking code for UPS. The package was delivered at 9:40 this morning. That is some fast service. I'm not sure where hobby-estore is but I'm in San Diego.

I didn't have time to open them yet but they appear not to be clones or fakes.
Tx's have 2 channels
The boards are R5's
Everything else from visual inspection through the box seems legit.

Also, since parts for these are not yet readily available I ordered a set of extra rotors per heli. All three where $10. They also came in a separate package.

When I get home from work I'll start with some test flights and post the results.

I'm stoked that hobby-estore sells legit s107's and the service is so fast. I'll be ordering from them again.
Just took the white one for its maiden voyage. It flew like a champ. I used my charging cord from my older yellow s107 and the remote control.

Still deciding if I want to open the other two or give them as gifts. My brother in law turns forty next week, so I think one has his name on it. But I don't think I'll be able to resist opening that red one for much longer
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:11 PM
noob
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Sporadic elevations when fresh off the charger....

Have about 15 charges on my 107G. When I fully charge it, I always allow it to sit for about 10 minutes before flight - and always start charge after 10 min of rest. During the first minute of flight, it is VERY sporadic. It will have quick boosts of power and quick drops in power. Almost like the signal is cutting out and coming back in quick bursts. At first, I thought it was interference with the IR. But it happens every time I charge and fly.

After about 1min, it will stabilize and I can hold it perfectly still in a hover for the rest of the flight (5-6min).

It definitely makes it interesting and teaches you to be very fast with your adjustments. But I've also dropped to the floor and hit the ceiling several times because of it.

Any thoughts on this? I can video if it would help to diagnose.
video coming tonight....
Veccster is offline Find More Posts by Veccster
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:45 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,332 Posts
XDRoX, your new 2012 S107G is absolutely stunning! You made a good buy. Enjoy them! Cheers.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:59 PM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1741
Did that nothing ready to put it back in the box

Quote:
Did you turn on the remote control first?
Did you know that the heli and the remote need to "pair?"
Is it an original or clone?
Where did you buy it from?
In some clones you have to move the throttle stick to the max twice before the transmitter binds to the helicopter.
It is kind of learning the throttle range every time you bind it.
Else it won`t initialize and won`t respond.
air_crash is offline Find More Posts by air_crash
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
XDRoX, your new 2012 S107G is absolutely stunning! You made a good buy. Enjoy them! Cheers.
Thanks Heli Pad.
Here's some more info.
The extra rotors I bought are identical to those on the new heli's. Hobby-estore now has these new blades listed for sale.
White: labeled 3, 3, 4, 4
Red: labeled 2A, 2A, 1B, 1B
Green: labeled 1A, 1A, 2B, 2B

Here's a better shot of the red one. I haven't opened it yet.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:32 AM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
849 Posts
XDRoX, welcome to the world of micro-helis. I am glad to see another person on these forums from San Diego. Heli Pad, Daryoon, myself & a couple of others get together occasionally and fly our 4ch FP single rotor helis. Maybe you could join our group some time. We are always looking for new people to fly with. If you are interested PM one of us and we will clue you in on our next meetup.
jlk69 is offline Find More Posts by jlk69
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:25 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
same thing as velcro and a keychain camera?
For the more thrifty sort of folk, that's been done.
I guess this is for the more mainstream mall shopper?
has anyone actually done that with an s107? do you have any links? nothing comes up when i search this thread.

a friend gave me some stripped down keychain cameras and id like to try that on my hacked heli.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:55 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindecay View Post
Motors appear to be okay John, they are not not even warm after 2 minutes. The power loss is more noticable aproaching the 2 minute mark. Pull the stick for backwards movement and you can watch the rear tail drag the copter to the floor.
Its on charge again but using the tx to charge this time instead of the usb cable...
If your not getting warm motors, it is most likely that it is the battery.

Before you buy a new stock battery, take a peak at some of the battery mods here and on the S107 Battery Mod thread and the Syma S107 speed mods thread.
Many of us have modded these helicopters to take the most popular 1S battery format, The E-flite/Parkzone Ultra Micro style battery they are easy to swap in and out, are available at almost every Local Hobby Shop (LHS), and can be purchased in many different mAH and C ratings. An E-flite battery connector needs to be soldered to the main board where the stock battery is soldered, but once done, you will never have to worry about whether it's the battery or a motor, because you can swap batteries in seconds for testing.

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; Jan 26, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:47 AM
noob
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
If your not getting warm motors, it is most likely that it is the battery.

Before you buy a new stock battery, take a peak at some of the battery mods here and on the S107 Battery Mod thread and the Syma S107 speed mods thread.
Many of us have modded these helicopters to take the most popular 1S battery format, The E-flite/Parkzone Ultra Micro style battery they are easy to swap in and out, are available at almost every Local Hobby Shop (LHS), and cad be purchased in many different mAH and C ratings. An E-flite battery connector needs to be soldered to the mani board where the stock battery is soldered, but once done you will never have to worry about whether it's the battery or a motor, because you can swap batteries in seconds for testing.

John
Do the 1S batteries provide longer flight time?
Veccster is offline Find More Posts by Veccster
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:50 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,023 Posts
lol! 2s and 3s lipos provide VERY short flight time in a s107 (0min 0sec).
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Do the 1S batteries provide longer flight time?
1S means one cell. Lipo cells are 3.7 volts each. Your original Syma S107 battery is a 150 mAh 1S 3.7 volt lipo battery. You can get e-flite/parkzone type batterries in a great range of mAh from 120 to 240 mAh, and C ratings from about 8 to 40C. A 150 mAh battery is fine in these helicopters. Much larger and you will start to have weight related motor failures. Much less than 150 mAh you will notice shorter flight times. Higher C ratings come into play more with more high performance helicopters like the Blade mSR X.

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner