HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:50 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,632 Posts
i realize that is a popular theory on this forum and it may be true. others claim long run times do not heat the motor. mine are not too hot to touch after 20min and i do keep a tiny gob of grease at the shaft. as an engineering student im sure it does shorten life but the question is how much.

ive done 20min runs on 3 occasions so far but usually fly for 5min then, rinse... err... i mean... rest for a min or two and repeat until the heli slows down. the 70mah runs down in less than a minute. i know you are also not supposed to fly to lvc but i do that too and have hundreds of cycles out of some batteries.

the copter still flies well and they are cheap so i will continue. i got a few more on the way too (4x 3ch & 1x 4ch) so ill have spares. i suspect some may not be so lucky therefor ymmv.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Chris, these are indeed the real McCoys. These are part of the 2012 release. They look cool and I wish I had one. The downside is that the replacement parts are not yet available, unlike the classic S107s, for which replacement parts are bountiful.
Thank you for the information. I just put an order in for a 3 pack. I'll post close up pictures of the new ones side by side with my old one when I get them.

XDRoX is offline Find More Posts by XDRoX
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
75 Posts
syma icopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Chris View Post
Anybody use the Syma iCopter Remote Control Helicopter Adapter?
http://www.amazon.com/Syma-iCopter-C...N%3DB006CBFA92

Chris
Good timing on your question. I am new to RC helicopters, but have been very active with the kids in RC cars for years. I recently purchased 3 icopters, syma s107's and 1 standard controller syma s107. The icopters were for my 18yr old sons and I just got the standard remote for myself. 2 of the icopters arrived 1 day before the others, and I must say I was very disappointed in the product. Being new to heli's I thought after all my research on the syma s107 they were impossible to fly and maintain a steady hover. These things crashed more into the ceiling and floor than you can imagine. After numerous attempts in different rooms (lighting maybe?) and even an attempt outside on a cloudy calm day these things flew more like yo-yo's...up and down. We gave up and the following day the other two arrived, and the same result with the newly arrived icopter. Then I pulled the s107 with the standard remote and behold, this thing flew like a charm first time. I was able to hover, turn, go forwards backwards , circles without 1 crash during the entire flight. We then tried all of the 3 iphone heli's with the standard remote and each flew perfectly. After now knowing they would fly back to the iphone, but with no luck. The iphone app in my opinion is just not there yet. The problem seems to be in the up/down throttle. You cannot maintain a steady setting without the s107 shooting up quickly to the ceiling or down to the floor. I would think a $400 iphone would control better than a cheaper remote, but not in our case. Again, this is my opinion, but I would stay clear until the app is fixed. I see an upgrade was released in December, but that is the newest and the one we downloaded. The great news is the Syma s107 can take one heck of a beating, just use the iphone app and you will see for yourself. I have ordered 3 more standard Syma s107's to get the remotes and just because ..... these things fly great.
new rc heli is offline Find More Posts by new rc heli
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:11 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,851 Posts
New_RC_Heli, Welcome to RCG. Thank you for your candid review of the iCopter. I have always wonder about them. I don't have any direct experience with them. But I have read and understood their basic operations. iPhone does not have IR emitters. Therefore, the App uses sound patterns that goes out the head phone jack. The IR emitter dongle than converts the sound bites into IR signals. In other words, you go from the touch screen to sound, to IR - a cumbersome way to communicate to say the least. Then there is the issue of power. The dongle uses a small battery to power the emitters, not like the standard remote with 6 AA batteries. My guess is that the IR signals coming from the dongle is much weaker. The combination of lag, power, and probably a lack of resolution, left much to be desired.

But iPhone is a symbol of status. It's already in the the owners pocket. When you don't want to lug around a big remote into the office, it is still the way to go.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:30 PM
davidrayt
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
I would be interested to see the battery life of a battery charged with a usb cable to computer as opposed to a battery charged with a wall charger. It seems to me that this type of battery likes to be charged slowly. Bringing a lipo battery to full charge takes a toll on battery life. In my research a lipo battery does not need to be (or should be)charged fully. I take mine off the computer usb charger immediately when the red shows. I conform to the 5 minute rule on flying time but sometimes I will go to 8 on my stripped down bird.
davidrayt is offline Find More Posts by davidrayt
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:00 PM
Wasn't my fault, I had it and
United States, WV, Ripley
Joined Jan 2012
147 Posts
Hi everyone I just posted in the wrong place for this question; My son has a new S107G, what do you all do when you snap the head unit and mount a new one only to find out the balance bar attaching pin is too small for the head unit? I have 2 balance bars one has the weights pressed in each end and the one that came with the heli, has the weights held in by 2 screws on each side. I have the original push type pin, but no "new" screw type pin, which is the one I need. What do you guys think is the best solution?? Thanks
Craig
Wacky1 is offline Find More Posts by Wacky1
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacky1 View Post
Hi everyone I just posted in the wrong place for this question; My son has a new S107G, what do you all do when you snap the head unit and mount a new one only to find out the balance bar attaching pin is too small for the head unit? I have 2 balance bars one has the weights pressed in each end and the one that came with the heli, has the weights held in by 2 screws on each side. I have the original push type pin, but no "new" screw type pin, which is the one I need. What do you guys think is the best solution?? Thanks
Craig
The quickest solution may be to just order another helicopter from the same source as your first. It kind of sounds like you are trying to swap parts from a clone 107 to an original or vs versa. Having 2 of these is a good practice for trouble shooting as well as motor/battery resting. To be honest if you want to fly a lot a rotation of 5 or 6 of these makes great sense. If you think you are really getting into these little heli's, you might also want to consider the newer Giada 9958 or WL V911 4 channel copters. they are closer to hobbyist quality and have 2.4 GHZ radio control for indoor or outdoor use.

John

PS parts are readily available for the real Syma S107G helis, but not knowing if you are clone or real some real Syma S107G parts may not work for the clones. (Example I bought a clone from Aldis grocery chain last month. The blades are almost 1/2 inch shorter. In this case if you tried to replace only top vs bottom blades, you would end up with a very unbalanced rotor system. You will need to check that kind of thing closely.

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; Jan 23, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacky1 View Post
Craig
Craig,

As I have suggested in the thread, I used super glue. In fact, after writing you, I had to fix an S107 with that exact problem. So, I took a picture for you while I was fixing it. I hope you could see the tiny drops of CA at the ends of the pin. The pin was super loose at first. But after I applied the glue and completely let dry, I inserted it to the head rotor and it was a perfect fit!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:22 PM
If it ain't broke, it will be
United States, ID, Caldwell
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
My wife bought me a s107 for Christmas and I have had more fun with it than I've had with any present she has ever gotten me! I have had RC cars, boats, and a couple of park flyers before but never had an interest in helis. I have been lurking here for weeks and finally registered tonight. I broke the right side landing gear the first day. No biggy, I fashioned two new legs out of strips of very thin sheet metal and all was well, even if a tad heavy. I lightened the fly bar by grinding the ends shorter, about half way through the weights. No real noticeable effect. Then the tail motor went south. It works if you push start it, but doesn't spin as fast as it used too, and once it stops it won't go again without a push. No problem, removed the tail supports and I have forward movement. I played with adding some putty to the nose for more speed. I started small, and it nosed down and went faster up to a certain point, and I found that even if you add a rediculous amount of putty it just won't go any faster Well, apparently it does go fast enough to break both pins off of the top rotor mount when hitting a wall. Then the wife says "I knew this was going to happen so I ordered you spare one for fathers day, should be here in a few days." I guess she really does know me
Breaker is offline Find More Posts by Breaker
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,851 Posts
Breaker, Welcome to RCG. Reading your post put a smile on my face, not because of the different ways Breaker found to break his helicopter, but because of the very special someone who loves Breaker that much. I think you're one of the luckiest members here. Say HI to your wife for all of us!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:40 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,410 Posts
Welcome Breaker. I think it's heli_pad's great responsibility to show you a vid I know you'll love. Isn't that right heli?? You know the vid...you wondered about her having a sister. I have had a long night and can't find that vid. Anyone seen that vid? "The perfect RC wife"??

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,851 Posts
Mike, You can't find your own post? What are you going to do without me? LOL

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1847

Breaker, this one's for you...
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:11 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,410 Posts
HP, I knew you could do it. I've been celebrating a bit and spent about 4 hours at the hospital (it's ok) and it's 1 o'clock in the AM out here on the east coast. I'm lazy right now

Mike.

EDIT: Sorry to hear SF came up short :-(
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Aug 2011
5,851 Posts
Yes, Mike, I read about the hospital part. I'm praying for your family. Good night.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:37 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker View Post
... Then the wife says "I knew this was going to happen so I ordered you spare one for fathers day, should be here in a few days." I guess she really does know me
Hmmm... considering that Father's Day is in June, you really are lucky!
ink124 is offline Find More Posts by ink124