HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:22 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,027 Posts
I've been using this for all of my usb helis without any problems....

It's a SCOSCHE.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:32 AM
Joined Nov 2011
298 Posts
Hi all! I've been busy with carbon again.

Here is my solution to the vibration! I added some ballast to the tail and extended the tail boom. The ballast? A 6mm powerful tail motor. I had about 6 of these motors so I picked the most powerful one and made a carbon mount for it. I guess there are 3ch helis that have this motor and there are mounts available but I didn't have one at hand. What I did have was some carbon and epoxy so I made my own.

The motor works perfectly and it's a lot faster than it was! Also due to added weight in the back end, there is less vibration.

Sadly the balance is so off it zooms backwards. Now I need to figure out some new mods to make it lighter in the back and shift weight forward! I already shifted the battery a bit. I love it when there is work to do! A stock one gets boring when there is nothing wrong and nothing to modify.

Long story short! Get your 6mm motors and mounts and try them! This has been done before on this forum so I thought I'd give it a go.
andur is offline Find More Posts by andur
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:09 AM
Joined Nov 2011
298 Posts
Update: with a bigger motor, the avatar 3-blade propeller is faster than the picooz. The opposite is true with the stock motor. Well, at least in my setup.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:00 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,516 Posts
andur: Good work there. Can we recruit you to the 9958 thread. Grab a fixed pitch 9958 and you'll really have fun with the mods!!!

BTW, nobody did figure out or commented on the easter egg I had in the photo I shared when I demonstrated my Simple Removable Canopy Mod.

If you look closely, you can see the tail motor has been upgraded to use one of the 9958's motor. How I accomplish this was very simple. You take the original Syma tail motor mount. Put a cut down the back with an xacto knife. Now, the tail mount acts as a plastic C-clamp. Motors of any reasonable diameter can be snapped on. Plus you can move up and down to balance the weight just right. If you want the motor to sit more straight, file out or cut the plastic ridge/nubs at the bottom of the mount.

I then slip on a piece of shrink tube in any color, and it holds the motor on securely. Your CF mount is awesome. This is just another way for those who doesn't have your skills to easily fit on a larger tail motor.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Nov 2011
298 Posts
Daryoon, thanks! I'm already "watching" a xieda on my Ebay account. We'll see maybe I'll get me one if I've got the funds. I just calculated that the s107g costs x but the modding and tools and materials are much more expensive! So I'm kinda afraid of investing into a new heli - I might end up with 3 of them and a drawer full of modified bits!
Last edited by andur; Jan 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:19 AM
France
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
Here is an other similar mod that i have done on tail motor
it's very easy to do (if you have a old breaked 107 ...)
and you got fast forward/backward speed !

You can see the post here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10009
dany34 is offline Find More Posts by dany34
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
298 Posts
How could we measure the thrust or compare motors and blades? I struggled with this idea for a bit and here's how I made my comparisons: I took some white tack and pushed the motor in and set the propeller to push. Then zeroed the scale and put a battery on the wires.

So the scale now shows in grams how much the propeller is pushing. I saw the picooz pushed about 5g and the avatar one about 6g but the measurements aren't too exact.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:24 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andur View Post
How could we measure the thrust or compare motors and blades? I struggled with this idea for a bit and here's how I made my comparisons: I took some white tack and pushed the motor in and set the propeller to push. Then zeroed the scale and put a battery on the wires.

So the scale now shows in grams how much the propeller is pushing. I saw the picooz pushed about 5g and the avatar one about 6g but the measurements aren't too exact.
theres a much easier and more accurate way. instead of setting props to push leave them alone and put a weight on the scale. dont zero. just see the difference when heli lifts. it works good for me.

btw im down to 26g on my original s107. any more and it will sustain too much damage in crash.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Nov 2011
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
btw im down to 26g on my original s107. any more and it will sustain too much damage in crash.
Wait wait... what do you mean by down to 26g? As in the weight of the heli is 26g?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:51 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,622 Posts
yes. unfortunately quite fragile. too fragile! its the reason i stocked up on more at meritime.

btw you can get red and yellow for that price too if blue gives you indigestion.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Nov 2011
298 Posts
Did you experience any stutter/vibration/flickering with such a light rig? When I got to the 33g realm, it started to vibrate when turning (yaw). It would be interesting, if you didn't! Then we'd have to compare what the differences are between yours and mine.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:39 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
109 Posts
Are these new colors real or fakes?
I noticed that on hobby-estore they have some colors that I haven't seen on other sites. Green and white. I went ahead and emailed them and asked if what they sell are genuine Syma s107's? This was their response:
Quote:
Dear Chris,

We sell the genuine Syma only and we get all Syma items directly from the manufacture. We hate those who sell fakes ones more than you do.
They seem like a really nice site and got back to my inquiry in a matter of hours. I'm about to place an order just wanted to see if anyone had any info on the new colors.

Thanks

XDRoX is offline Find More Posts by XDRoX
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:43 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,834 Posts
Chris, these are indeed the real McCoys. These are part of the 2012 release. They look cool and I wish I had one. The downside is that the replacement parts are not yet available, unlike the classic S107s, for which replacement parts are bountiful.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:56 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andur View Post
Did you experience any stutter/vibration/flickering with such a light rig? When I got to the 33g realm, it started to vibrate when turning (yaw). It would be interesting, if you didn't! Then we'd have to compare what the differences are between yours and mine.
actually im not sure if vibration is worse because it did that before mods. but i do know vibration is the least of my worries. the heli became very "frisky" below 30g. specially when i removed the flybar weights. more difficult to handle than my buddies that has no gyro. reminds me of my old piccoo. it turns quickly though. again TOO quickly. and likes to "bounce" back and forth. this is a problem because it aint qualified to take crashes (even landing w/o damage is tricky).

its worth the sacrifice to get 20 min flights with a 450mah. of course it dont weigh 26g with that on board. but i can stay in the air twice as long as my buddy. he says i cheat because it dont look like a heli anymore. lol!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
actually im not sure if vibration is worse because it did that before mods. but i do know vibration is the least of my worries. the heli became very "frisky" below 30g. specially when i removed the flybar weights. more difficult to handle than my buddies that has no gyro. reminds me of my old piccoo. it turns quickly though. again TOO quickly. and likes to "bounce" back and forth. this is a problem because it aint qualified to take crashes (even landing w/o damage is tricky).

its worth the sacrifice to get 20 min flights with a 450mah. of course it dont weigh 26g with that on board. but i can stay in the air twice as long as my buddy. he says i cheat because it dont look like a heli anymore. lol!
Hi Gang
I find motors get warm or worse from 4 minutes to 5. If I want to fly 20 minutes, my solution is to have five helicopters. I have yet to replace a battery or motor with the 4-5 minute regimen. If I am ape s... to fly longer, a few more $20 choppers, or the better yet 2.4 Ghz 4 channels in the mix, makes for a much more enjoyable day than trying to drag an S107 around with a 450 mAh battery.

You will be burning up motors and batteries with your regimen.

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner