SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Jan 2012
17 Posts
Anybody use the Syma iCopter Remote Control Helicopter Adapter?
http://www.amazon.com/Syma-iCopter-C...N%3DB006CBFA92

Chris
Aurora Chris is offline Find More Posts by Aurora Chris
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:17 PM
Buy it, Mod it, Fly it!!
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Chris View Post
Anybody use the Syma iCopter Remote Control Helicopter Adapter?
http://www.amazon.com/Syma-iCopter-C...N%3DB006CBFA92

Chris
Don't know how true it is but heard there is quite a bit of lag on responce from iphone control app and heli....
Can anyone confirm this?
braindecay is offline Find More Posts by braindecay
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:59 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Chris View Post
40 minute charge time (typical) using iPad2 10W adapter.
No different than stock methods (USB port or Tx) and iPhone 5W charger.

Chris
Chris, I'm sorry that the iPad2 10W adapter doesn't work out for you, because I think you are looking for shorter charge time for your S107, aren't you?

Let me start by sayings that I'm not a battery expert, but I have consistently seen faster charge time. I'll share my view with you. Please take it with a grain of salt and verify it for yourself.

If you ask me what changes Lipo charge rate, I would say Current, not Voltage. That's why smart chargers allows you to choose the current you want to charge your Lipo with. I use one of these variable rate charger. As I change my current settings, I change my charge rate, and time requires for charging.

So, you went from a iPad adapter to a more powerful 10W iPad2 adapter, which is capable of 2.1A of current. Why didn't you see an increase in performance and not a decrease of charge time. I think the answer is in the iPad2 adapter itself. The iPad2 is designed to quick charge an iPad2, delivering up to 2.1A of current. But it is also designed to be backwards compatible with other devices, such as iPad(1), iPhone, and iPod. It dynamically limits its current output. When it is not attached to an iPad2 specifically, it limits its current output, and therefore, you don't see any gain.

However, I consistently charges my S107 with adapter of higher current outputs (not voltage). The adapter I use is rated for 5v, 800mA, much lower than your iPad2 adapter. But my charge time is about 15 minutes, not 40.

I don't remember if I shared a link to such adapter with you last time or not. But if you're interested in one, click on this link. I have just ordered two more of these yesterday, because my friends all want in.

If you think that the USB charging cable is the limiting factor, the answer is no. Before I got the adapter above, I've been using my AC adapter for my phone. It has a USB out, much like your iPad2, except it wasn't made for iPad2 and doesn't have the smart to limit current output. Using the USB charging cable that comes with the helicopter, I get 18-20 min charge time using that adapter. Using the same cable on my laptop or PC, 30-40 minutes. Using it on a USB hub, dog gone slow. Why? Because current was shared by the hub. All of them USB ports, all of them 5v, what accounts for the time difference? Current.

So, my view on the subject of charge rate is Current, not Voltage. All these USB like output gives you ~5v, but whether or not it could power your external HDD, or quick charge your toy, it's the difference in current. You iPad2 adapter surely has the power, it just won't let you access it unless you're an iPad2. So, do yourself a favor, spend $5 and get yourself a quick charger, and leave you iPad2 charger for your iPad2.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:24 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
If you ask me what changes Lipo charge rate, I would say Current, not Voltage. That's why smart chargers allows you to choose the current you want to charge your Lipo with. I use one of these variable rate charger. As I change my current settings, I change my charge rate, and time requires for charging.

So, you went from a iPad adapter to a more powerful 10W iPad2 adapter, which is capable of 2.1A of current. Why didn't you see an increase in performance and not a decrease of charge time.
For a "smart charger" that has adjustable current settings, then yes, you can control the charge rate and hence charge time because those chargers run at higher voltage levels in order to pump the desired higher current into the battery during charging.

On a dumb USB charger, it uses a 5 volt source like the standard computer USB port, or any USB power source like the iPad2 adapter that only puts out 5 volts.

If you put 5 volts into the USB charger cable that comes with the S107, the charge current is going to be based solely on the demand of the battery. The 180 mAh Li-Po in the S107 will probably want to draw peak charge current around 700~800 mA. So, it doesn't matter which 5 volt power source you use, because as long as it can supply over 800 mA at 5 volts then the battery will charge at the same rate regardless if the power source can put out 1A or 100A at 5 volts.

I'll bet the S107 "quick charger" that plug directly into 120VAC puts more DC voltage across the battery then the UBS cable charger plugged into a 5 volt source does. That's why it chargers the battery quicker.

Quote:
However, I consistently charges my S107 with adapter of higher current outputs (not voltage). The adapter I use is rated for 5v, 800mA, much lower than your iPad2 adapter. But my charge time is about 15 minutes, not 40.
That's because on a smart, variable current adjustable charger, when you tell it to charge with more current the charger puts out more voltage across the battery to force that amount of current into the battery.

Do some voltage measurements across the battery at different current settings and you'll see what I mean. The ONLY way to force more current into a battery is to increase the charging voltage.

Quote:
So, my view on the subject of charge rate is Current, not Voltage.
It's both as explained above. If you have an unlimited current source, you can smoke a battery by over charging it, and the only way to force that much current into the battery to smoke it is to charge at a much higher voltage. In simple terms, the voltage is what "pushes" the current into the battery. The higher the charge voltage, the more current is pushed into the battery.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Last edited by Hayabusa Heli; Jan 20, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:42 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
426 Posts
Speaking of chargers......

107's breed like crazy, and I usually keep a couple in the truck.
Is anyone aware of a 12v cigarette lighter / USB charger that's safe to charge these things with?

A couple months ago someone here (can't remember which thread) said he burned up a couple batteries by using one (IIRC, it was for was 5v x 1 or 2 amps),.. but somebody must make one with 5v x 300ma output, no?
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:42 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
if you plugged the USB charger cable into a 5W source (5V @ 1A, like a standard computer USB port), or a 10W source (5V @ 2A) or a 1000W source (5V @ 200A), it will always take the same amount of time to charge when using the USB cable.
lol! your previous statement about a battery was not correct as noted by heli and myself. now that you have added the cable (a charger) to the equation what you say is correct. and if the battery has a the tiny protection circuit built-in which limits current that also changes the story.

(elmer fudd voice) vewwwwy sneaky!
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:45 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
lol! your previous statement about a battery was not correct as noted by heli and myself. now that you have added the cable (a charger) to the equation what you say is correct. and if the battery has a the tiny protection circuit built-in which limits current that also changes the story.

(elmer fudd voice) vewwwwy sneaky!
I was always talking about the USB cable charger (sometimes implied) because Aurora Chris was obviously using the USB cable charger and wanted to know if a 10W (5V @ 2A) IPad charger would charge the battery faster. As explained more in detail, the answer is no.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:47 PM
davidrayt
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
USB Charger

The Duracell 12v to USB converter works good. It has 2 USB ports. I have not tried charging 2 copters at one time. Big Lots has them for $8.00
davidrayt is offline Find More Posts by davidrayt
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:53 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRail View Post

Is anyone aware of a 12v cigarette lighter / USB charger that's safe to charge these things with?

A couple months ago someone here (can't remember which thread) said he burned up a couple batteries by using one (IIRC, it was for was 5v x 1 or 2 amps),.. but somebody must make one with 5v x 300ma output, no?
Take your pick:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...sb%2Caps%2C563

As discussed, if the 12vdc to 5vdc USB charger adapter puts out 5V to the USB charger, then it doesn't matter if it can put out a max of 1A or 10A. The USB charger and battery PCB will regulate the current to whatever the battery demands. The battery is going to draw the same amount of current with 5V on the USB charger regardless if the power source feeding the USB charger can put out 1A or 10A.

The guys who burned up batteries had some other issue going on, or the 12vac to 5vdc converter went haywire and put out more than 5vdc.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:55 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
I was always talking about the USB cable charger (sometimes implied) because Aurora Chris was obviously using the USB cable charger and wanted to know if a 10W (5V @ 2A) IPad charger would charge the battery faster. As explained more in detail, the answer is no.
lets chalk it up to misunderstanding. it is certainly true that the cable, with nothing more than a diode and resistor, will certainly charge faster from a higher voltage. the usb source is notoriously variable from system to system which accounts for many of the differences in charge times.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:58 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
lets chalk it up to misunderstanding. it is certainly true that the cable, with nothing more than a diode and resistor, will certainly charge faster from a higher voltage. the usb source is notoriously variable from system to system which accounts for many of the differences in charge times.
If it's a USB port on a computer, or a 120VAC to 5V USB charger/adapter, the output voltage on the USB port is usually right at 5+/-0.1 volts from all the ones I've measured. Not to say that some $2 unit from China might not be way off, but most of them that are $5~10 seem pretty good.

On a side note ... I think the thing that varies people's charge times is the actual USB cable charger. I bought two S107s at the same time, and found that one USB charger took ~40 min to charge either heli, and the other USB charger took ~60 min to charge either heli. It was not heli dependent, or power source dependent, but USB cable charger dependent in my experience.

Then the slower USB charger went up in smoke one day while charging. Guess it was slower because there was something internally wrong in the USB plug end containing the electronics.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362252
Last edited by Hayabusa Heli; Jan 20, 2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRail View Post

Hi there, IceRail. Yes, I have one of those, too. 2 USB ports, and I've charged two "on the road". And the car is still running.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:12 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,938 Posts
Quote:
Hi there, IceRail. Yes, I have one of those, too. 2 USB ports, and I've charged two "on the road". And the car is still running.
And the car is still running he says. Wonder if he will ever catch up to it!

frieslander is offline Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,633 Posts
Good one! Good to see friendly people here.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:31 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
If it's a USB port on a computer, or a 120VAC to 5V USB charger/adapter, the output voltage on the USB port is usually right at 5+/-0.1 volts from all the ones I've measured. Not to say that some $2 unit from China might not be way off, but most of them that are $5~10 seem pretty good.
right now the ports on my pc are 4.85v on one and 5.2v on another with nothing connected. it migh be due to using/abusing them for almost all the diy stuff i play with. cant count the number of overcurrent pop-up warnings i got.

i use those ebay chargers a lot too and the cheap ones vary all over the place. i got a half dozen different ones for $1 or less and they vary from 4.5v to 6v. i also have the white one from the pic above. it is 5v exactly and supplies more current (1200ma) than any of my others. it is very small too so plugs into just about any outlet or power strip regardless of orientation. but it costs $4. i guess sometimes you do get what you pay for.

ps i picked up a couple pairs of those meritime deals. 2 for me and 2 for the kids. hard to beat $19, even if they are clones.