HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:32 PM
Happy Newbie
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2011
86 Posts
Speaking of the rotor head, my clone seems to be missing one of the screws. Anyone know where I can get replacements (bulk would be OK too)? What are the 'specs' of this screw?

Thanks!
Scurvy is offline Find More Posts by Scurvy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 03:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
Tbe

I have a new S107 and after a couple of minor crashes it now hovers in a TBE. I have read through some of the trouble shooting points but cannot seem to come up with a solution. In the owners manual, there is a point about if this happens, there is a dial you can turn that should correct this. It does not explain where this dial is located nor can I find it anywhere. Do I need to remove any body parts to access this dial? Does this dial even exist?

I sprayed the blade pivot points with silicone and it accomplished nothing.

Any help is appreciated.
Gregavi is offline Find More Posts by Gregavi
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:18 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Trim adjustments on the Syma S107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregavi View Post
I have a new S107 and after a couple of minor crashes it now hovers in a TBE. I have read through some of the trouble shooting points but cannot seem to come up with a solution. In the owners manual, there is a point about if this happens, there is a dial you can turn that should correct this. It does not explain where this dial is located nor can I find it anywhere. Do I need to remove any body parts to access this dial? Does this dial even exist?

Any help is appreciated.
The dial is located on the controller/Transmitter for the Syma.
This dial is used to adjust the Trim (if the Heli is spinning left or right).
So if the S107 is spinning to the Left, just slowly turn the knob to the Right (and vice versa).
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:13 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,677 Posts
Quote:

Any help is appreciated.
Usually TBE is caused by the flybar not being loose enough.
Check your flybar by having your blades at 180 degrees and the flybar should bounce up and down freely when you flick it with your finger.
Check the connecting buckles, the part that connects the flybar to the rotor blade holders. Check they are on the balls and have not slipped past the balls.
If that does not help could you post close up pictures of the rotor head showing the flaybar and top set of blades.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:51 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,461 Posts
I got my 1st 107 today, I got her in the Blue. I havn't flown her as of yet but a friend of mine flew my mcx and said the 107 is a little easier to fly. I imagine it's because there is not cross coupling on the throttle that there is on the mcx.
Anyhow I'm anxious to fly it.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:04 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,027 Posts
Quote:

Any help is appreciated.
Don't use any lube on these helis...all that does is attract dirt and gunk, not to mention the dreaded HAIR!
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:15 PM
Dreaming Weasel Dreams
Tucson, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
433 Posts
I've been having fun with my s107g since xmas morning (sadly my son managed to bust his S109g -- spare parts will soon be on the way!). It's been through a few (maybe more than a few) uncontrolled landings, but seems to be intact. It still flys, but I'm not sure it's quite as stable as it used to be. I suppose there might be room currents causing the issue, but sometimes it seems to wobble a bit, or drift around slowly rather than hovering in one spot.

Am I likely suffering from drafts, or is this symptomatic of something getting a little loose?

thanks!

-Rick (brand spankin new to the micro-heli scene, and loving every minute of it so far)
Rick Lindsey is offline Find More Posts by Rick Lindsey
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:13 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,822 Posts
Rick, everything you described is possible. Things might got loose and become a bit wobbly after a few crashes flights. That's normal. The tail boom gets kinda loose after a while. You could check that by trying to wiggle the tail boom. If there is too much play, look for a screw on the underside where the boom joins the main frame. You might have to tighten that screw. Take a small screw driver and go around the helicopter and check every visible screw. Tighten if necessary, then take it up into the air again. It should improve.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:09 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lindsey View Post
I've been having fun with my s107g since xmas morning (sadly my son managed to bust his S109g -- spare parts will soon be on the way!). It's been through a few (maybe more than a few) uncontrolled landings, but seems to be intact. It still flys, but I'm not sure it's quite as stable as it used to be. I suppose there might be room currents causing the issue, but sometimes it seems to wobble a bit, or drift around slowly rather than hovering in one spot.

Am I likely suffering from drafts, or is this symptomatic of something getting a little loose?

thanks!

-Rick (brand spankin new to the micro-heli scene, and loving every minute of it so far)
Hi Rick

A quick easy fix that works for me is to snug up the blades a bit. They get worn and loose from normal wear and even more with crashes.

Use a good mini precision phillips blade screwdriver to tighten the blade holder screws, (all 4 blades), then back them out until the blades can move but not sloppily.

Other things, of course can go wrong, but this is an easy troubleshooting first step.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:16 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
New S107G from Amazon (Green - 2012 color)

Just got one of those New 2012 Syma S107G from Amazon. I know there were some questions as to whether these were knock-offs or real. Thought I'd take a chance (and pay a few extra dollars to boot) and get one.
I ordered the White one. I already had the Yellow S107. Looks identical to my other S107, charger the same, Syma logo on the box, and numbers stamped on the blades (instead of 0 and 1, they have 3 & 4 stamped on the two sets of blades). Link to Amazon ad: http://www.amazon.com/Green-Channel-.../dp/B006BLJKEY

The new guy appears to be a tad faster then my yellow S107 but every bit as stable. I've flown here about 8 times so far. Here's a few pics.
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
Last edited by cpuken; Dec 29, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:17 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
Hi;

Is there a one-stop troubleshooting site available? I am having a hard time searching through this long thread. I see references here and there to past entries that might help me but I can never find the specifics.

My son got an s107g (H1 we could call it) for xmas from a friend of mine who also got one for his son (H2); My friend's son (and his little sister) crashed H2 a bunch the other day showing us how it worked (and this was after however much crashing it took to get my friend's son learning how to fly it in the first place). So I was thinking these copters would be pretty darn tough.

My son opened his last night, crashed it much less than we saw the day before, but H1 no longer lifts into a straight hover, it either spins or goes off in a straight line (and then hits something).

The tail rotor doesn't spin unless we use the righthand control lever, is that supposed to be how it works?

Thanks in advance...
HardyWeinberg is offline Find More Posts by HardyWeinberg
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:26 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
Make sure the top crossbar pivots freely.
Yes, left stick makes BOTH blades spin.
Right hand left/right makes it spin.
Right hand forward/back will make the tail blade move making it move forward/aft.
I believe the main blades also must be moving for the tail to work.

Check photos to make sure all the linkages are connected right on the top crossbar.
Note how there are linkages from the top blades to the crossbar.

One stop site, nice idea. I hope you read post #1 though. It has more than many post #1's do in threads around here.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:30 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,512 Posts
HardyWeinberg:
That's the nature of these thing. They are pretty resilient and tough. And it's not how much crashing...or how hard that crash was. It's just a matter of hittin it right...and a part will break. Most likely the blade pivot pins like everyone else in the last couple of days.

See the previously posted picture:

If you're handy like me, I simply drilled out a hole where the pivot pins broke. Inserted something that is the same diameter of the broken pin. (1.20mm) Then use a 1mm drill bit to drill another hole through that replacement pivot pin so the inner shaft can go through it and get fixed by the screws.

After that mod/fix...your pivot pin problem will be behind you and the helicopter will be more resilient as a result.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Dec 28, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
See the previously posted picture:

If you're handy like me, I simply drilled out a hole where the pivot pins broke. Inserted something that is the same diameter of the broken pin. (1.20mm) Then use a 1mm drill bit to drill another hole through that replacement pivot pin so the inner shaft can go through it and get fixed by the screws.

After that mod/fix...your pivot pin problem will be behind you and the helicopter will be more resilient as a result.
That's exactly it, thank you!

What kind of material did you use for your 1.2mm pivot pin? Could it be glued into the shaft head thingy before drilling across its center?

Thanks again.
HardyWeinberg is offline Find More Posts by HardyWeinberg
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:36 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,512 Posts
I used a 1.2mm wire gauge drill bit to drill across that plastic head. Making sure to keep things as perpendicular to the main shaft as possible.

Then inserted a 1.2mm carbon fiber rod into that hole to act as the blade pivot pin. I believe I created this rod by putting a larger carbon fiber rod into a drill, and then used a file to turn that rod down to the proper diameter. Pretty easy to do with carbon fiber if you don't have the right diameter CF rod on hand.

You can glue your replacement pin into your rotor head before drilling the cross hole for the main shaft. But I didn't need to. It friction fitted just fine. Using glue may have a higher chance of getting some on the part where the blade pivot, causing it to bind instead of rotate freely. That's just my humble opinion of course.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon