SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:29 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Do you have any thoughts on whether the green/white ones I posted are real or fake? I honestly have no clue.

More to the point... Does anyone know what the official Syma web page or online catalog is? I'd like to know whether these white/green options are legit or not. Sorry if I just haven't found it yet--assuming it's buried deep in these forums.
Try http://www.symatoys.com The new style canopy shows on the home page, but not on the S107G product page, (probably just not updated yet).

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:22 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
For those of you who like a colorful collection of helicopters, I've seen a few new colors for the S107G advertised on the web. Here's where I've seen them:

http://www.symahelicopters.com/Mini-...opters-s/1.htm

I've seen Green:

http://www.symahelicopters.com/SYMA-...107g-green.htm

and White:

http://www.symahelicopters.com/SYMA-...107g-white.htm

S107Gs now. Are these legit or are they clones? Where is the *official* SYMA web page? Anybody know? Is this it?

http://www.symatoys.com/product/show/1830.html

I've also seen these from an Amazon reseller called Halley R Us:

http://www.amazon.com/White-Channel-.../dp/B006BLK9L2

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Channel-...dp/B006BLJKEY/

who has a LOT of interesting alternative parts for the S107G like the Helizone RC Firebird canopy, blades, and tail decorations:

in black : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005TC8HWC
and blue : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005TC8UKQ
Clones or the real deal?!?! Either way, IMHO I don't see any bargain prices. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:06 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,366 Posts
Well, I had burned out the tail motor on my red syma S107g clone. Well, felt pretty good this afternoon and decided to install the new part I got in the mail..the whole tail boom and motor. Had to tear apart the heli down to the PCB. Desoldered the on wires unscrewed the boom and removed it...install the new boom carefully routing the wires, and carefully soldering the wires to the board. Put everything back together and it flys great!!! Can't believe I didn't screw something up.....did have to use a different rotor blade as the syma motor turns opposite the clone motor...!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1tkGt7dhHo
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:38 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,742 Posts
Motor turns in opposite direction??? Jake, while you were doing all that soldering work, it would have been the perfect opportunity for you to reverse the motor wires!!!
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:43 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Motor turns in opposite direction??? Jake, while you were doing all that soldering work, it would have been the perfect opportunity for you to reverse the motor wires!!!
I didn't even think about it until I got it all back together...works great now!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:35 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Tried the 4-bladed tail rotor on one of my S107s... easy to do, the motor shaft pushes right through the standard rotor, and the second one can be pushed on that, with a small drop of CA.
Didn't any noticeable difference in forward or backward speed.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:14 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,366 Posts
I found out something very interesting...I fudged up one of the upper blades. Took one out and put on and had the most horrible shakes. Looked at the bades. One upper said 'A' on the blade and the other said 'A1'. Took the A1 off and put on an A and no more shakes...must be a difference between A1 and A blades..same with B1 and B blades I am guessing...learn something new everyday!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:36 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
I found out something very interesting...I fudged up one of the upper blades. Took one out and put on and had the most horrible shakes. Looked at the bades. One upper said 'A' on the blade and the other said 'A1'. Took the A1 off and put on an A and no more shakes...must be a difference between A1 and A blades..same with B1 and B blades I am guessing...learn something new everyday!
That is interesting Jake. I just looked at mine. My "original" #1 S107 top blades are marked "A2". My second S107 top blades are marked "1A." Almost wants to make me remove and weigh each one of them up for the sh **ts of it.

After Christmas

Mike.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:40 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Mine:
S107-top blades have "3" on them. Bottom blades have "2" on them.
Mini Chinook-top blades "A1". Bottom blades "B1".
Anyone else?
Tell us your blade i.d.
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:02 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Yeah Jim, this is a pretty interesting subject Jake brought up. I'll be recording the stamp# and weight of the top and bottom blades. I assume the two S107's I have are genuine.

But, Like I said...after Christmas

Merry Christmas everyone

Mike.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:09 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Hey,
Forget about it Mike.
Christmas is waaaay too busy.
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:09 AM
Paris, France
Joined Sep 2010
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
A few months ago, I noticed something very similar with the blades of my U807:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post17909243

The discussion in the U807 thread did not really settle, maybe you guys will be able to do some conclusive tests on your S107 blades.

Note that you can also get rid of some vibrations by weigh balancing the rotors with Blu-Tack:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=477
Bombyx is offline Find More Posts by Bombyx
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:08 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,742 Posts
Replacement Blades

I've noticed the difference in blades a while back. Like there is real and fake S107s, there is real and fake replacement blades also. Again, know your sellers, so that you don't buy fake ones.

So far, I have seen 3 different grades of blades. What I considered the real, top tier, best quality blades have either "A1" or "1A" stamped on the upper blades, and "B2" or "2B" stamped on the lower blades. These blades are the thickest, and the heaviest. With all the flights I have with my trainer S107, which I give to first-time flyers to fly, it is still on its original set of the blades.

Next group, the upper blades have "3" stamped on them, and the lower blades have "4" stamped on them. I found these as close seconds to the top tier. I do find these shipped with some genuine S107. I consider them as cost-reduction blades from Syma. They are just slightly lighter, thinner, and their colors is slightly off white, sometimes. In general, I don't have issues with these. But you don't want to mix them with the A's and B's, because they are slightly different.

Last group, usually found on fake S107 or sold as replacements from less reputable sellers. They don't have any letter or numbers of them. They are significantly thinner and lighter, and they break easily. So much so, you will notice the difference by feel when you have one real blade in one hand and a fake one in the other.

Take a look at the photos below. The real SYMA blade (B2) is 1.25g and the fake one is 1.10g. That's more than 10% off! Believe it or not, I received these as part of a set!! Needless to say, I won't use that seller again.

Of course it's best to get the top grade replacements. But if you get the middle grade, or even the lowest grade replacements, it's not the end of the world. Make sure you use the matching ones, and replace them as a pair. Don't mix in blades from different grades, because they would be out of balance.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:00 AM
noob
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
OK...this thread is too freaking long!!!

I am trying to find info on modding this heli to accept a Turnigy 160mah lipo. I don't own the heli yet but want to make sure it's going to be easy to do if I buy it. Wouldn't that enable me to spend more time in the air - if I could run for 5 minutes then just swap out for a fully charged battery?

Otherwise, I need to look for a stock heli that accepts the 160mah. I have 10 of them on hand.

I know several of you have done it...but is there a write up somewhere I could review? Or can anyone tell me if it's easy/worth it?
Veccster is offline Find More Posts by Veccster
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:36 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
OK...this thread is too freaking long!!!

I am trying to find info on modding this heli to accept a Turnigy 160mah lipo. I don't own the heli yet but want to make sure it's going to be easy to do if I buy it. Wouldn't that enable me to spend more time in the air - if I could run for 5 minutes then just swap out for a fully charged battery?

Otherwise, I need to look for a stock heli that accepts the 160mah. I have 10 of them on hand.

I know several of you have done it...but is there a write up somewhere I could review? Or can anyone tell me if it's easy/worth it?
I'm with you there...
I'm new to this stuff also but like you, I like the idea of using the Turnigy 160mah lipo. There is a mod elsewhere, I'm leaving right now or I'd point you to it. If you are handy with electronics you will be able to run with it (I'm not). I'm trying to combine the idea of adding the circuity protection board (found on the stock battery) to a newly modified charger... which would then allow for the use of an unmodified Turnigy 160mah.
It's kinda using the ideas of 2 different mods I've found here and elsewhere.
Ken
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken