HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:01 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
I'll second what Heli said, only cause he already sent me in that same direction and it got me a fine genuine S107G (from what I have read) and it shipped free in 6 days. Bought a $3 wall charger to make the total $27 and change for the free shipping and came from XHeli. Well packagd and fast shipping. Could have been faster than that had I chosen to pay for shipping.

Highly recommended.
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Hi chaps. Big ol' newbie here, and I'm diving straight in with a "HELP BROKEN SYMA 107" post. Sorry!

I've been flying my 107 for a few weeks now, but last night after a slight bump with the sofa, I'm getting a chattering sound from the rotors (or at least that's where it seems to be coming from) and now I'm getting no lift. From what I can tell everything is connected and working, it's just gone all ill

I've uploaded a video of the bird for you knowledgeable folk to diagnose. I don't recall the top rotors spinning so much after power... not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks guys
nutmunching is offline Find More Posts by nutmunching
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:03 AM
S107, S026
Nashville, TN
Joined Aug 2010
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmunching View Post
Hi chaps. Big ol' newbie here, and I'm diving straight in with a "HELP BROKEN SYMA 107" post. Sorry!

I've been flying my 107 for a few weeks now, but last night after a slight bump with the sofa, I'm getting a chattering sound from the rotors (or at least that's where it seems to be coming from) and now I'm getting no lift. From what I can tell everything is connected and working, it's just gone all ill

I've uploaded a video of the bird for you knowledgeable folk to diagnose. I don't recall the top rotors spinning so much after power... not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks guys
The top rotor appears loose. There are two screws just under the fly bar that hold onto the shaft. You may even be able to just pull off the rotor. There is a flat spot on the shaft that lines up with one of the mounting screws. Line it up and carefully tighten the screws. Be careful as the threads are in plastic and will strip easily. If the screws are holding ok then the problem is on the other end of the shaft in the gears.
TSquare123 is offline Find More Posts by TSquare123
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:36 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,687 Posts
I think TSquare is probably right about your situation. The video is a bit short, but I seemed to see a bit of blade tracking issue. I'm not positive. There is a small chance that one of the pivot pins in the rotor head might have been broken - source of chattering sound. If you could do another video, but instead of holding the bird still, after the blades spin up, tilt the heli forward and back, then I would see how the upper blades and the flybar are reacting. But if TSquare was right and you found and fix the problem, that's good.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:27 PM
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
I got a quick question, any buddy got the extended main shaft from dogface? Im curious on how much longer it is from stock and how your liking it.
E dave is offline Find More Posts by E dave
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:56 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,875 Posts
Sorry if this has already been asked but...

I charge my S107G from a USB/AC adapter plugged into a power strip. Will the battery drain if I just turn off the power strip rather than unplugging the helicopter? That is, if the charger is not actively pumping current INTO the helicopter, will it leach current out if it's off but still connected?

I don't want to try this and end up having to buy a replacement battery.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2011, 07:19 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,323 Posts
Dont leave it hooked...it will deplete the battery.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Dec 19, 2011, 05:37 AM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSquare123 View Post
The top rotor appears loose. There are two screws just under the fly bar that hold onto the shaft. You may even be able to just pull off the rotor. There is a flat spot on the shaft that lines up with one of the mounting screws. Line it up and carefully tighten the screws. Be careful as the threads are in plastic and will strip easily. If the screws are holding ok then the problem is on the other end of the shaft in the gears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I think TSquare is probably right about your situation. The video is a bit short, but I seemed to see a bit of blade tracking issue. I'm not positive. There is a small chance that one of the pivot pins in the rotor head might have been broken - source of chattering sound. If you could do another video, but instead of holding the bird still, after the blades spin up, tilt the heli forward and back, then I would see how the upper blades and the flybar are reacting. But if TSquare was right and you found and fix the problem, that's good.
Thanks for the replies guys.

The top rotors are firm in place, so that's not the problem.

Here's another video with a bit of tiltage for you, Heli Pad. Apologies for the quality. What you may or may not be able to see is the flybar seemingly "dipping" into the top rotors, perhaps a cause of the sound?

The top set of rotors are definitely looser than they were, no resistance at all. I can hold the heli by the skids and spin them round pretty fast. Surely not normal?

It's bloody awful being grounded! At least I only have to wait another 2 days before I'm back in the air with my 4 channel birthday copter!
nutmunching is offline Find More Posts by nutmunching
Old Dec 19, 2011, 05:59 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,708 Posts
Quote:

Here's another video with a bit of tiltage for you, Heli Pad. Apologies for the quality. What you may or may not be able to see is the flybar seemingly "dipping" into the top rotors, perhaps a cause of the sound?

The top set of rotors are definitely looser than they were, no resistance at all. I can hold the heli by the skids and spin them round pretty fast. Surely not normal?

It's bloody awful being grounded! At least I only have to wait another 2 days before I'm back in the air with my 4 channel birthday copter!
Hi,
I have watched your video and I can't see anything obvious. What might help is if you could post some close up pictures of the flybar and top set of rotors where they join the shafts. I'm sure your problem will be a simple one to fix, it's just in your video I can't make out what's going wrong.
cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:38 AM
Missouri
Joined Jul 2008
27 Posts
Is the S108G Maries heli basically the same as the S107 other than the different body?
Scooter30 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter30
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:26 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter30 View Post
Is the S108G Maries heli basically the same as the S107 other than the different body?

No, the S108G Cobra is much thinner than the S107.

Here is the insides of one

scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Last edited by scotsoft; Dec 19, 2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:54 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
7,038 Posts
Quote:

You stated that the top rotors are tight but did you try to turn the topnrotor while holding the gears with the other hand? Also check the gears closely for damage and alignment.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:12 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
[QUOTE=nutmunching;20176467]Thanks for the replies guys.

QUOTE]

I am pretty sure I am hearing some intermitent chatter from your helicopter that I don't get with any of mine. It could be that you have a gear meshing problem. I think I would take off one lower metal side panel and either manaully or with the motors running check that there is not some extra play somewhere in the motor pinion to intermediate gear or from that intermediate gear to the main rotor gear. Amazon has a tuneup/repair kit available HERE for $9.99. But just ordering a 2nd and even a 3rd helicopter might be more cost effective, and will help you keep the motors and batteries cool between flights on each of them.

I have replaced the main motors and battery on one of my S107's and a similar Udi U807. Weak or no takeoff can be caused by dying batteries or motors. Having a spare or two is a good idea if you want to stay in the air with these things.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:38 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,687 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the 2nd video. It tells me that your pivot pins are okay. The flybar will on occasions dip in an angle and goes below the upper blades. That's perfectly normal. However, the pivot pins will keep the upper blades essentially horizontal to the ground; therefore, limiting the degree of flex in the flybar. When the pins are broken, the upper blades are no longer restricted. Therefore, they and the flybar could go in such extreme angle that they will strike the lower blades. Your helicopter is not doing that. That's good.

Back to the description of your problems, which is two fold: (1) Won't lift and (2) Chattering. Well, I'm not sure where the chattering is from yet, because I don't have your heli here in my hand. So, I'll focus on troubleshooting the first description. A heli won't lift because it doesn't have enough power at the rotors. Question is: Are both set of rotors equally weak? Or is one set of rotors weaker, i.e. spinning slower than the others?

You could determine that by looking at the trim. If one set if spinning slower than the other, your helicopter is going into a spin, even if it is not hovering in air, it will spin on a smooth surface, and the trim control from your Tx will not be able to compensate for it. If your helicopter is spinning, your problem is will one set of weaker rotors. Common causes are rotor slips, one bad motor, debris got caught in one set of gears, etc.

If your helicopter is not spinning at all, and it won't lift, that means both rotors are equally bad. So, either you have equally bad slippage, equally bad motors, or equally bad gears (what are the chances), or you simply have a bad power supply (battery), or something has happened to the ESC on board.

So the million dollar, well $20 question this morning is: IS your helicopter spinning?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 19, 2011, 04:26 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,633 Posts
Quote:

Sounds like a gear slipping up and down because the sound does cut in and out. Try this. With one hand grasp the large white gears at the bottom. With your other hand, grasp the outer shaft just below the lower rotor. With both hands/fingers squeeze them together using an equal amount of firmness. If you hear or feel a slight click or the movement of the shaft going toward the heli, you were successful. Good luck.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012