Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:03 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,161 Posts
Greg, If your S107 still flies great, I wouldn't worry too much about it. When I was new to this, I have done the same. The helicopter has a built in LVC, a low-voltage cut off circuitry. That's why you would notice that your blade wouldn't spin, or it would spin briefly and stop, but the LED lights were still going... Anyway, that circuit is to protect you from further draining your battery below a critical voltage (~3.4v). And therefore, if you don't do any crazy thing to drain your battery, it is still within operating voltages. That said, it is a good practice to not push your battery to the point when it stops spinning. If you have a small screw driver, you should open up the canopy and visually inspect that the battery has not puffed up. And while you're at it, make sure that it is seated properly.

Regarding your heli rolling over left just as it was lifting off, make sure of two things. (1) Your S107 is properly trimmed. When in a stable hover, it should not turn left/right without your stick input. Otherwise, use the trim knob to adjust. (2) Make sure you are lifting off from a level surface, not crowded with a lot of objects around. If the surface is not level, your heli will take off in the direction it leans. A simple test is to place your heli 180 degrees around and see if it leans to the opposite direction.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:03 PM
United States, GA, Grayson
Joined Sep 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Greg, If your S107 still flies great, I wouldn't worry too much about it. When I was new to this, I have done the same. The helicopter has a built in LVC, a low-voltage cut off circuitry. That's why you would notice that your blade wouldn't spin, or it would spin briefly and stop, but the LED lights were still going... Anyway, that circuit is to protect you from further draining your battery below a critical voltage (~3.4v). And therefore, if you don't do any crazy thing to drain your battery, it is still within operating voltages. That said, it is a good practice to not push your battery to the point when it stops spinning. If you have a small screw driver, you should open up the canopy and visually inspect that the battery has not puffed up. And while you're at it, make sure that it is seated properly.

Regarding your heli rolling over left just as it was lifting off, make sure of two things. (1) Your S107 is properly trimmed. When in a stable hover, it should not turn left/right without your stick input. Otherwise, use the trim knob to adjust. (2) Make sure you are lifting off from a level surface, not crowded with a lot of objects around. If the surface is not level, your heli will take off in the direction it leans. A simple test is to place your heli 180 degrees around and see if it leans to the opposite direction.
Thanks for the feedback Heli Pad!!

Funny thing about the trim is that the right stick seems to be way off center. Don't know if this is normal, will be interesting to see how the second one is when it gets here in a couple days.

Haven't had any issue with the rotation trim so far, am able to get it stable pretty quickly in that regard.

Will definitely check on the battery as soon as I get home from work. Now I am wondering if it might not be seated properly as on one of the last flights yesterday I had a rough crash into a ceiling fan blade. Now that I think about it, that is when it started acting wierd. Might just be a balance issue.
gmuri1 is offline Find More Posts by gmuri1
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:14 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,895 Posts
Quote:

Heli pad, I'm not so certain the S107 has a LVC. If you are referring to the PCB (Protection Circuit Board or Module) on the battery, the job of this little guy is to make sure the battery is not over charged. When you run the 107 down to the point where you get no blade spin actually damages the battery. Hence, the very reason we time our flights to prevent this.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,161 Posts
Two different circuits, I believe. The overcharge protection is a small PCB attached to the battery pack. The LVC circuitry is part of the main PCB. Like I said, I have pushed to that limit, and my S107 lived to fly another day. As there are so many clones and variations of S107, I won't recommend anyone trying this themselves, because I can't guarantee that your version has a LVC. I've done it so that you don't have to. When pushed against the LVC, the voltage was about 3.4v. The blades would stop spinning, but the LEDs (low current draw) would still be on. If you're dumb enough like me, you would try to push that throttle stick again, and perhaps due to the voltage fluctuation, the blades might spin for a brief second, and it will get cut off again. I turned off mine to measure the voltage at that time, because I was trying to document the time it takes to charge from "empty" to "full". My battery did not puff as a result of that stunt. Thank goodness. And I'm still flying that bird today.

EDIT: When I said "PCB", I referred to a Printed Circuit Board, the industry standard acronym. I didn't mean Protection Circuit Board, which is not a standard acronym, and it confuses like heck. For future, I prefer to call that little printed circuit board soldered to the battery - the Overcharge Protection Circuit, and not the Protection Circuit Board, or PCB, because it is just too confusing.
Last edited by Heli Pad; Sep 19, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:51 PM
Joined Sep 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Heli pad, I'm not so certain the S107 has a LVC. If you are referring to the PCB (Protection Circuit Board or Module) on the battery, the job of this little guy is to make sure the battery is not over charged. When you run the 107 down to the point where you get no blade spin actually damages the battery. Hence, the very reason we time our flights to prevent this.

Mike.
Oh well, replacing the battery isn't a big deal if it doesn't last long.

What are the thoughts on battery upgrades? Saw a post for some very inexpensive 240mAh batteries. Do these increase flight time? I read some reviews on Amazon of a 200mAh battery that was giving flight times of 15 to 20 minutes. However, no mention was made of any precautions being taken to properly care for the battery.

Is there a way to calculate safe flight time with different batteries? I will not go over the 5 minutes talked about using the stock battery, but it would be nice to have an idea of the limits of upgraded batteries.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:47 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,895 Posts
Quote:

EDIT: When I said "PCB", I referred to a Printed Circuit Board, the industry standard acronym. I didn't mean Protection Circuit Board, which is not a standard acronym, and it confuses like heck. For future, I prefer to call that little printed circuit board soldered to the battery - the Overcharge Protection Circuit, and not the Protection Circuit Board, or PCB, because it is just too confusing.
Okey dokey...Personally I think there are too many acronyms:
http://www.amazon.com/Protection-cir...=5336432818-20

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:19 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,161 Posts
I agree, Mike, there are too many acronyms out there, and PCB could mean so many things. But it sure means Printed Circuit Board for circuit designers for many years. I'm just saying what I meant by saying PCB. People could continue to do what they do. We'll just have to read the context more carefully. Cheers.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:54 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,161 Posts
AC Charger

If anyone is interested in getting a AC charger for your S107, or similar micro helis, so that you don't have to use your USB charging cable and find an available USB port, consider THIS one from Amazon. It is designed to work with Genuine S107s. If you have doubts about whether you have a clone, be sure to double check the polarity before using.

It's $6.75 FSSS. But personally, I would pay $0.20 more and get it from Superstition Hobbies for free shipping. Amazon has been selling these for $8.75. So, it's a couple of bucks cheaper today. Enjoy.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
If anyone is interested in getting a AC charger for your S107, or similar micro helis, so that you don't have to use your USB charging cable and find an available USB port, consider THIS one from Amazon. It is designed to work with Genuine S107s. If you have doubts about whether you have a clone, be sure to double check the polarity before using.

It's $6.75 FSSS. But personally, I would pay $0.20 more and get it from Superstition Hobbies for free shipping. Amazon has been selling these for $8.75. So, it's a couple of bucks cheaper today. Enjoy.
I ordered one of those AC chargers when I bought my second S107. Don't have to pay shipping, Amazon Prime gets me everything shipped 2nd day delivery for no additional cost.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:26 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
When you can't avoid shipping cost, a typical S107 would be $25+. But if you're willing to get two, and split the cost with a buying buddy, go to Amazon. They are usually $20 or less each, FSSS when over $25. Or, of you're prime member, it's a no brainer.

I'd just order two to make it over the $25 mark, no problem. But I've read (somewhere here, IIRC) that Amazon will charge my card $80 in three months, and upgrade me to a "prime member", and I do not want that.

Do you (or anyone else) know if that's true?

TIA
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:46 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,161 Posts
No, Prime membership is an option. You have the option to try it for a month and if you decide to keep it, AMZN charges you $80/yr for the benefits of being Prime. But you'd have to specifically sign up for it. Nothing happens automatically. The ones that I recommended to you are Free Super Saver Shipping (FSSS). As long as your total order is $25+, and it doesn't have to come from the same merchant, you get standard free shipping. It is a very good deal, IMHO. And God forbids, if one of your two helis does not work out for you in the next month, you could return it at AMZN's expense. That's another great thing about it. Not surprisingly, I prefer AMZN over Ebay any day, any time. So, congratuations for your new purchase. I hope you'd enjoy them.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:52 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,125 Posts
Quote:

I've got two S009g's and use one of the chargers for my S107g. I also have an A/C Dual USB Port adapter that works just like the wall charger that I also use once and a while.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:50 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,125 Posts
Put for an early morning flight!!! Disregard my son passing thru!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LlTGi6ZDbA
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:29 PM
Joined May 2007
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRail View Post
I'd just order two to make it over the $25 mark, no problem. But I've read (somewhere here, IIRC) that Amazon will charge my card $80 in three months, and upgrade me to a "prime member", and I do not want that.

Do you (or anyone else) know if that's true?
They'll only charge you automatically if you select that option. You can control it all under your account. And I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but you can get 6 months of prime for free if you're a student. All you need is a .edu address.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

My s107 took a hard landing last night. It does the toilet bowl thing now and wobbles like crazy...I'm assuming the shaft is bent. Is it worth it to try and fix or should I just buy a new heli?
ontheDL is offline Find More Posts by ontheDL
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,161 Posts
OTDL, That depends on your level of interests - whether to fly them, or to understand them and work on them like a hobby. If I were you, I would try and determine what's wrong and try to fix them. But before you tear your heli apart to find the problem, I would examine the blades for damages and looseness first. Tighten up the blade grips if they are loose. Loose blades could give you that TBE. If that doesn't help remove the blades and spin of the heli. Look for vibration in the shaft. Replacement parts are very available for the S107.