HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2011, 05:01 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
What's the diff between a GyroStar s107g and a s107g and a s107?
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2011, 05:12 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,157 Posts
There is no difference between a S107G and a S107 because all S107 has built-in Gyro, which is what the G at the end of the model name stands for. Over time, there have been packaging that has S107G and S107 on the box. As far as I know, it's just the box.

The GyroStar S107(G) uses the same component as the S107. The only difference is the decal on the canopy, fin, and blades. It uses a checker flag design (which I like).

I own both the Gyrostar and the S107. In fact, I use the same charger and Tx to fly both of them. The flight characteristics are about the same. But as you might know, each bird is slightly different. In my experience, my Gyrostar flies better than my S107.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Aug 25, 2011, 06:51 PM
Minnesoata
Joined Nov 2001
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFall View Post
Jay, I am sorry to say that deal didn't even last a day and X-Heli may not have even intended for it to happen at all. They had the blue S107G on sale on Amazon for $15.95, eligible for free shipping over $25.00 and I bought 4 of them. They pulled the "eligible for free shipping over $25.00" part later the same day. They didn't have them in stock at the time of the sale in late July, but they advertised they'd be in stock August 1st. and I got mine on the 8Th.

A really good deal on Amazon right now is the Gyro Star S107 3 Channel Mini Indoor Co-Axial Metal RC Helicopter w/ Built in Gyroscope (Yellow) for $18.95 and eligible for free shipping with orders of at least $25.00 on eligible items. You could buy two copters and get over that limit or you could buy 4 sets(16 total blades) of yellow S107 blades for $7.10. BE SURE ALL ITEMS say they are eligible for free super saver shipping or you won't be able to get the savings. Also, Superstition Hobbies(who I really like to deal with) has the 16 count blades with free shipping, but that won't help you unless all you are buying is their blades, because they aren't eligible for the super saver shipping. Blades is a good idea for a purchase, because three of the people I have gotten to get these helis have ended up breaking a blade or two in a bad wreck almost as soon as they got their helis. While I know many do not wreck much, I also know many more do...

Here's the link for the blades:
http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Syma-Re...ref=pd_sim_t_3

And here's the link for the Gyro Star S107:
http://www.amazon.com/S107-Co-Axial-...4305363&sr=1-1

The Gyro Star, which I have been told, is a really good heli, is sold through X-Heli and the blades are sold by Your Wholesale Retailer. Both products are fulfilled by Amazon and BE SURE if you order them, you ask for the free super saver shipping AND say you want them shipped in as few packages as possible. They probably won't be shipped together, and it may take a week to get them from the date of shipping, but the savings is probably worth it.

The copters are usually delivered by USPS Smartmail(which isn't so smart) and the blades are regular First Class. I have had, on rare occasions, a helicopter from Amazon, that was shipped from their warehouse around Hebron, Ky. VIA UPS. They shipped those on Monday and I had one Tuesday and one Wednesday, because they accidentally shipped it to the wrong UPS depot. Of course I am in Ohio, between Cincinnati and Dayton, so UPS stuff goes past me up to West Carrollton and back down to my town. Smartmail, on the other hand goes up around Columbus, 90 miles away and then comes back down to West Carrollton or to my local post office, depending on their mood, I guess...
Thanks for the reply, I have a S107 and my son liked it and its in need of repair, it been sitting around here for a few months now. After looking at the parts to fix it I was just thinking of getting a few more. I also been looking at the older twin chinook S026G.

Thanks again

Jay
Jay69 is offline Find More Posts by Jay69
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:34 AM
Who put C4 on my S107???
Joined Apr 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay69 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I have a S107 and my son liked it and its in need of repair, it been sitting around here for a few months now. After looking at the parts to fix it I was just thinking of getting a few more. I also been looking at the older twin chinook S026G.

Thanks again

Jay
Hang on to that S107, as the parts will work in a lot of cases for anything similar you get, such as the Gyro Star, S105G or some of the clones like T-36 metal and the T07.

I love my T-36 as it has a two speed tail motor and after I removed all the metal canopy and fin pieces, it became my fastest helicopter. I just got an S105G canopy from China to put on it, which is slightly lighter and looks much nicer than the S107 canopy I was using.
DarkFall is offline Find More Posts by DarkFall
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:54 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,124 Posts
Used metal fin decorations from another heli on the S107...looks better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEds3T8Oun0
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
Tails off and crashes!

Hello folks, I'm new to the forum but have lurked for while

I have the S107 and have recently noticed that every now and again it just decides to lurch to one side and crash into the ground - almost as if something is interfering with the signal (which there isn't).

Has this sort of behaviour been seen before? And if so what is the resolution?

TIA
Grenjs is offline Find More Posts by Grenjs
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:54 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,124 Posts
Transsmitter batteries old? Heli charge all the way...? Flying near sunlight?
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:47 AM
Danmark, Sjælland, Korsør
Joined Aug 2011
35 Posts
Or flying around your tv / large computer screen?
Klynder is offline Find More Posts by Klynder
Old Aug 27, 2011, 03:08 AM
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
s107 shuts off

Hi, I got my Gyro Star (Syma) s107 today and it flew well for most of the day, but after a few crashes, it just won't work now. I think it's due to an electrical issue.

After a full charge I turn on the power on both the transmitter and the heli. The green led indicates that it's synced with the transmitter. However, when I try to lift, the rotor starts up for less than a second before the entire unit shuts off (no green led's, no front leds's). After I turn off/on both the heli and transmitter it just repeats the same behavior again. Any ideas on what this could be? Maybe something was shorted out? I'm willing to take it apart and check it out for myself, just need to know what to look for.
On the PCB, it says it's a S107R5.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
stan5 is offline Find More Posts by stan5
Old Aug 27, 2011, 03:52 AM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Transsmitter batteries old? Heli charge all the way...? Flying near sunlight?
Ah. Sunlight - possibly. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klynder View Post
Or flying around your tv / large computer screen?
Also "Ah". Yes of course. The TV was switched on.

Thanks to you both.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:04 AM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5 View Post
Hi, I got my Gyro Star (Syma) s107 today and it flew well for most of the day, but after a few crashes, it just won't work now. I think it's due to an electrical issue.

After a full charge I turn on the power on both the transmitter and the heli. The green led indicates that it's synced with the transmitter. However, when I try to lift, the rotor starts up for less than a second before the entire unit shuts off (no green led's, no front leds's). After I turn off/on both the heli and transmitter it just repeats the same behavior again. Any ideas on what this could be? Maybe something was shorted out? I'm willing to take it apart and check it out for myself, just need to know what to look for.

Interesting, the same thing has happened to my Volitation 9053.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=801

FastMike seems to think it might be the circuit board, but that may not be the case with your S107.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:39 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,157 Posts
@Stan, My Gyrostar has survived more crashes than I could remember, even a couple high drops. It is still flying like it was the first day out of the box. From your description of the problem, I would check the state of the battery to see if it is holding a charge. Do you have a volt meter?
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:11 AM
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
hey guys, thanks for the responses.
i've managed to fix the problem. i still have no idea what was wrong, but i took it apart and unscrewed the motor from the chassis and the rotors seemed to spin normally. then i just screwed everything back together and it was all as good as new. my suspicion is that one of the gears got knocked out of its place and the board must have some mechanism that shuts itself off if the gears are stuck? all is well that ends well.
stan5 is offline Find More Posts by stan5
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:14 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5 View Post

Pull the back off the TX and make sure the batteries are all making contact with one another. Those plastic dividers are usually the culprit.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 27, 2011, 03:43 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,884 Posts
As I said...those plastic dividers are usually the culprit (I'll come back to that). Got my S107 today (S107R5) I bought from "dailysteals.com." As the saying goes, "you get what you pay for" ($19.98 door to door). I must admit, it could have been much worst given that fact that dailysteals.com doesn't have a clue about these helis about packaging them for shipping. Damage control: missing link (but was given an extra..gee). Bottom blades are curled (this will be obvious). Something is wrong with the head as it has terrible binding with the flybar, which translated to terrible TBE. If you look close in one pic you will see a crack in the nose that goes all the way around (they did a nice CA job though). On to the TX I had to dabble a bit of Break Free CLP to "every single plastic spacer" as they were so stiff they hardly moved when I put the batteries in and I knew that would be a problem. The heli came "fully" charged. I thought it was one of those reversed things whereas the orange light would shut off...lol. Well, feast your eyes upon the best packaging job ever. No bubble wrap. No cardboard stiffeners above or below the heli box. No NOTHING

Mike
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012