SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 15, 2011, 02:18 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,282 Posts
Karol, Do you have any idea as to how many flights you logged? My last battery I got 85 flights.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2011, 02:46 PM
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
How old is it?
It is about 4 months old, meaning since I got the heli.

Karol
Karolh is offline Find More Posts by Karolh
Old Aug 15, 2011, 02:49 PM
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Karol, Do you have any idea as to how many flights you logged? My last battery I got 85 flights.

Mike.
About 70 flights. But my first S107 had a least 150 flights on the original battery before one of the main motors packed up.

Karol
Old Aug 15, 2011, 03:36 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolh View Post
About 70 flights. But my first S107 had a least 150 flights on the original battery before one of the main motors packed up.

Karol
Not all lipos fly the same and have the same life expectancy. Each are all different. For example, I have two NRG 1S batteries. One of them started to poop the bed at about 13 flights so, I no longer use it (testing only). The other is still strong, going on 20 flights. My two Outrage 1S batteries only had 19/24 flights and they are crapping out. I assure you, it's not my treatment of batteries.

Your heli flew fine before right? Which tells me nothing was binding to run the battery down but, now you have a problem. My hunch is your battery bit the dust.

Mike.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 04:58 PM
Joined Apr 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
You can get a 'parts' syma s107 from X-heli for $9.00.
Thanks, I'll probably go that route.
GibsonSG1 is offline Find More Posts by GibsonSG1
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Not all lipos fly the same and have the same life expectancy. Each are all different. For example, I have two NRG 1S batteries. One of them started to poop the bed at about 13 flights so, I no longer use it (testing only). The other is still strong, going on 20 flights. My two Outrage 1S batteries only had 19/24 flights and they are crapping out. I assure you, it's not my treatment of batteries.

Your heli flew fine before right? Which tells me nothing was binding to run the battery down but, now you have a problem. My hunch is your battery bit the dust.

Mike.
You were so right. Replaced the battery and all is well again in my little heli kingdom.

Karol
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:40 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolh View Post
You were so right. Replaced the battery and all is well again in my little heli kingdom.

Karol
Very happy all is well in heli kingdom and thank you for reporting back. This is learning for all

Mike.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:27 AM
Joined May 2011
12 Posts
I have an odd issue with my Syma 107. A few months back I had 2 107s, and flew them around a lot. I eventually burned out the main motors with a lot of crashing, and along the way moved around motors and gear assemblies to keep 1 working helicopter as long as possible.
I recently bought a new 107. After about 5 flights, the tail rotor stopped working. I have the new 107 significantly stripped down, so it moves very quickly and has a very long flight time.
I replaced the burned out tail motor with one from one of my older copters, and it worked great for about 3 flights. Then it too burned out. I don't think it was due to a crash, it just stopped working after a long flight. I have one spare tail motor left, and want to be sure I don't nuke it as well.

I have two questions. 1) Is it possible that running the tail rotor for about 10 minutes continuously can cause it to burn out? 2) Would a local hobby store be likely to have a compatible motor to replace the tail motor?

The tail motor has a diameter of 158/1000's of an inch and a shaft of 27/1000's of an inch. It runs on ~3.7 volts. These motors are around $4 on ebay, but it would be great if I can get them cheaply and quickly locally.
OsoMoore is offline Find More Posts by OsoMoore
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:42 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsoMoore View Post
I have an odd issue with my Syma 107. A few months back I had 2 107s, and flew them around a lot. I eventually burned out the main motors with a lot of crashing, and along the way moved around motors and gear assemblies to keep 1 working helicopter as long as possible.
I recently bought a new 107. After about 5 flights, the tail rotor stopped working. I have the new 107 significantly stripped down, so it moves very quickly and has a very long flight time.
I replaced the burned out tail motor with one from one of my older copters, and it worked great for about 3 flights. Then it too burned out. I don't think it was due to a crash, it just stopped working after a long flight. I have one spare tail motor left, and want to be sure I don't nuke it as well.

I have two questions. 1) Is it possible that running the tail rotor for about 10 minutes continuously can cause it to burn out? 2) Would a local hobby store be likely to have a compatible motor to replace the tail motor?

The tail motor has a diameter of 158/1000's of an inch and a shaft of 27/1000's of an inch. It runs on ~3.7 volts. These motors are around $4 on ebay, but it would be great if I can get them cheaply and quickly locally.
Running your heli for 10 minutes at a time is a good possibility for tail motor burnout (and main motors). Most of us run our S107's for only 5 or 6 minutes. Then give it plenty of cool down time before charging (10/15 minutes). When it comes off the charger wait 10/15 minutes before flying.

Mike.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:58 AM
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
As Mike suggested, keeping the motor run times to within 5 or 6 minutes, plus giving ample cooling down periods is absolutely paramount if you want to have any sort of longivity of your motors and battery.

Karol
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined May 2011
12 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, I will definitely limit my flight time. Are motors like the 107's fairly standard parts, or do you think looking for replacements at local hobby shops is a waste of time?
OsoMoore is offline Find More Posts by OsoMoore
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:36 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,498 Posts
The answer to your LHS question is really shop dependent. For instance, my neighborhood LHS does not carry any toy grade helicopters or their replacement parts. In fact, they don't seem to know what a S107 is.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Aug 25, 2011, 02:00 PM
Minnesoata
Joined Nov 2001
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFall View Post
Charged up one of the 4 new dark blue S107Gs I got yesterday from Xheli, got out my trusty SAMA S107G TX that I use for my other S107s and my S105G, flew a very nice and smooth pattern around the family room for about 6 minutes and landed for a recharge to do it all over again. $63.80 for 4 of these babies delivered and I am a happy man.
:
Can I ask how you got this deal? Maybe I'm to late!

Thanks

Jay
Jay69 is offline Find More Posts by Jay69
Old Aug 25, 2011, 02:02 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,253 Posts
Charging

Got an A/C Dual USB charger at Wal-Mart today...charge two syma s107 at one time without putting any stress on my PC. Charged faster too.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:15 PM
Who put C4 on my S107???
Joined Apr 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay69 View Post
Can I ask how you got this deal? Maybe I'm to late!

Thanks

Jay
Jay, I am sorry to say that deal didn't even last a day and X-Heli may not have even intended for it to happen at all. They had the blue S107G on sale on Amazon for $15.95, eligible for free shipping over $25.00 and I bought 4 of them. They pulled the "eligible for free shipping over $25.00" part later the same day. They didn't have them in stock at the time of the sale in late July, but they advertised they'd be in stock August 1st. and I got mine on the 8Th.

A really good deal on Amazon right now is the Gyro Star S107 3 Channel Mini Indoor Co-Axial Metal RC Helicopter w/ Built in Gyroscope (Yellow) for $18.95 and eligible for free shipping with orders of at least $25.00 on eligible items. You could buy two copters and get over that limit or you could buy 4 sets(16 total blades) of yellow S107 blades for $7.10. BE SURE ALL ITEMS say they are eligible for free super saver shipping or you won't be able to get the savings. Also, Superstition Hobbies(who I really like to deal with) has the 16 count blades with free shipping, but that won't help you unless all you are buying is their blades, because they aren't eligible for the super saver shipping. Blades is a good idea for a purchase, because three of the people I have gotten to get these helis have ended up breaking a blade or two in a bad wreck almost as soon as they got their helis. While I know many do not wreck much, I also know many more do...

Here's the link for the blades:
http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Syma-Re...ref=pd_sim_t_3

And here's the link for the Gyro Star S107:
http://www.amazon.com/S107-Co-Axial-...4305363&sr=1-1

The Gyro Star, which I have been told, is a really good heli, is sold through X-Heli and the blades are sold by Your Wholesale Retailer. Both products are fulfilled by Amazon and BE SURE if you order them, you ask for the free super saver shipping AND say you want them shipped in as few packages as possible. They probably won't be shipped together, and it may take a week to get them from the date of shipping, but the savings is probably worth it.

The copters are usually delivered by USPS Smartmail(which isn't so smart) and the blades are regular First Class. I have had, on rare occasions, a helicopter from Amazon, that was shipped from their warehouse around Hebron, Ky. VIA UPS. They shipped those on Monday and I had one Tuesday and one Wednesday, because they accidentally shipped it to the wrong UPS depot. Of course I am in Ohio, between Cincinnati and Dayton, so UPS stuff goes past me up to West Carrollton and back down to my town. Smartmail, on the other hand goes up around Columbus, 90 miles away and then comes back down to West Carrollton or to my local post office, depending on their mood, I guess...
DarkFall is offline Find More Posts by DarkFall
Last edited by DarkFall; Aug 25, 2011 at 04:21 PM.