HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:31 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Hey guys,

Been a while since I've posted in the thread. I was telling a friend about the s107 helicopter tonight. They handed me $50 and asked if I'd get two for them. I was going to order two s107 gyro stars from xheli, but with shipping it was over $60. So my question is what's the cheapest place to purchase s107's right now that are guaranteed genuine?

I know Amazon is selling them cheap, but I've read of some people getting knock offs from amazon. Anyone got a place in the US where I can pick up two genuine s107's for $50 shipped or less?
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:49 AM
Joined Mar 2009
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Hey guys,

Been a while since I've posted in the thread. I was telling a friend about the s107 helicopter tonight. They handed me $50 and asked if I'd get two for them. I was going to order two s107 gyro stars from xheli, but with shipping it was over $60. So my question is what's the cheapest place to purchase s107's right now that are guaranteed genuine?

I know Amazon is selling them cheap, but I've read of some people getting knock offs from amazon. Anyone got a place in the US where I can pick up two genuine s107's for $50 shipped or less?
The Amazon ones are not knock offs, I don't know why people claim that.
Here is a thread I made about the two 'different types' of helis that are sold. (S170 vs Gyrostar)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450484
The short of it is that they are identical.
I have purchased 5 of these helis from different places and they are all identical.
personmans is offline Find More Posts by personmans
Last edited by personmans; Jul 28, 2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:09 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by personmans View Post
The Amazon ones are not knock offs, I don't know why people claim that.
Here is a thread I made about the two 'different types' of helis that are sold. (S170 vs Gyrostar)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450484
The short of it is that they are identical.
I have purchased 5 of these helis from different places and they are all identical.
Thanks for that. I'm going to order from amazon, because I can get a blue, red and yellow for $52.90 with free shipping. It doesn't specify but I'm assuming they include the transmitter since it doesn't say heli only. I just realized they're all coming from xheli so that makes me feel better. Strange a blue s107 is $15.85 on amazon and $24.95 on their website.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:21 AM
Joined Mar 2009
24 Posts
The $15.85 is a sale, it just dropped in price today from $26.xx on amazon.
They all come with transmitters, but you can use any transmitter with any heli.

Also, you won't be able to fly three at once since you can only select two modes on the transmitter.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:33 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Quote:
The $15.85 is a sale, it just dropped in price today from $26.xx on amazon.
They all come with transmitters, but you can use any transmitter with any heli.

Also, you won't be able to fly three at once since you can only select two modes on the transmitter.
Thanks for the info. I do know that the newer rx's are the two channels only and one is a dummy you can't actually flip to. I figured for that cheap of a price it's a spare heli to fly while letting the other one charge.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:05 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
538 Posts
Just received a blue 107 with a (new?) board in it, the board color is green and is marked: XZ-1701TB-TY, has this board been covered yet in this forum?
viper1 is offline Find More Posts by viper1
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:18 PM
Joined Mar 2009
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1 View Post
Just received a blue 107 with a (new?) board in it, the board color is green and is marked: XZ-1701TB-TY, has this board been covered yet in this forum?
I have yet to see it. Can you post a picture and perhaps where you purchased the heli from?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 05:44 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
909 Posts
Fake S107 from lightake.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1
Viper1, did you get your S107 from lightake.com? This is most probably a fake S107. I only got about 15 to 25 flights before the motors failed Also flight time out of the box was only 2 to 3 min. before it would not maitain a hover. Does your usb charger only light when it is charging and goes out when charge is complete? I think my battery was also a dud as well. If I were you, I would try to RMA it if performance is not as advertised. I bought a new battery and a new rear motor (was completely dead) but now the front motor is not at full power and heli will not get off the ground. I bought another S107 from RC Toys Village through Amazon. This is a real S107 with a R5 board. The performance is night and day compared with fake S107 with 5 min plus flight times. The TX from the fake will not work with the real 107 nor will the real 107 Tx work with the fake. Also fake Tx did not have return spring on throttle and the ABC band switch did have 3 different positions while real 107 only has 2.
jlk69 is online now Find More Posts by jlk69
Last edited by jlk69; Jul 28, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:33 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
Big Smiles

Hello all. About 30 years ago, I had a few radio control sailplanes and flew them every weekend. I always wanted to give helicopters a try, but back then, they were much too expensive. Not to mention the learning curve meant more money for repairing crash damage. A few days ago, I discovered this thread while trying to help my neighbor find parts for his son's broken toy helicopter. I ordered two red GyroStar 107's from Amazon. They arrived today. I checked them to make sure they were the real deal ( they are ). Checked the balance, charged the battery and flew for the first time. Almost broke my face from the big grins. Had one minor altercation with the recliner. I need to remove the throttle spring in the transmitter before I fly again. At the age of 62, I have found a new hobby and hope to move into a more advanced heli eventually but I also have already ordered two more of these little 107's.
barkingspider is offline Find More Posts by barkingspider
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:57 PM
Moore, OK
Joined Sep 2009
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.S. View Post
Well, I stand corrected. Thanks for straightening that one out for me.

I did the exact same thing you did but I must've gotten my polarity's crossed when I made the adaptor because when I plugged in to the heli nothing registered.

Cheers, nice work.
Chris... my heli was was a fake which is why this probably worked for me. I just got a SYma S026G and while I can get a voltage reading of 3.8 directly from the cable, when I plug it into the charger the voltage goes away for some reason... oh well... guess I'll be using the remote or USB cable...
robspook is offline Find More Posts by robspook
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:48 AM
Registered Abuser
Kelowna, BC Canada
Joined Nov 2010
270 Posts
I think the only thing we can count on with these S107's is that there's so many clones out there every one is a bit different...
Chris.S. is offline Find More Posts by Chris.S.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:31 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
538 Posts
Quote:
I have yet to see it. Can you post a picture and perhaps where you purchased the heli from?
Will post pictures later.
For now I will tell the differences I noticed.

For a start, This is my 3rd 107, also own a yellow R3 , and a red R5 (both 'real' Syma's).

imho IF... it is a fake, it's a job well done, as my first impression is that it's a later production version.

Not a Clone, as there was clearly 'SYMA' on the box. But possible fake.

Here we go:

-The above mentioned board, also features the 4 empty spaces for LED's .

- plastic rotor parts are a darker plastic (almost black) than the typical light brown transparent.

- Full warning & writing on the blades, but font used for 'WARNING' is larger than original. Small writing less obvious but also slightly larger.

-sensor on rear of board is sticking out further and the green side is facing up compared to down with the original.

- USB charger is; 'off' when plugged in, 'on' when heli connected & charging, 'off' when charged

-Flying:

First the LED on TX is red, not green. Also the throttle needs to be 'armed' before take-off by going full throttle first.
TX is as jlk69 described; no spring and 3 positions.

Performance:
Flies like a dream, compared to the real ones (but maybe this is?) my yellow R3 is quick, turns uneven speeds left or right and can be tricky to keep straight in fwd flight sometimes. good fun though.

My red R5 is stable, slow, in fact almost boring, even turning speed L+R, rock steady and again SLOW

This blue one has all the good stuff combined, Powerful, FAST!, rock solid hover, quiet, smooth. Turning speed in between the yellow and red but even both sides. To see this thing stop after fwd flight is a treat, very smooth slow-down and stop.
Flight time (UNLIKE jlk69's description): 7:30 min
That's from take-off until 90%-throttle needed for hover. (Sorry, I will not drain Batt further)

If this is a fake, lesson to learn for Syma ! I want more of these.

That's it for now will post pics later and edit this post.

Seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=160608083139
Last edited by viper1; Jul 29, 2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:13 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2010
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkingspider View Post
Almost broke my face from the big grins. I also have already ordered two more of these little 107's.
Another one addicted to heli crack...
Klippie is offline Find More Posts by Klippie
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:07 PM
Who put C4 on my S107???
Joined Apr 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.S. View Post
I think the only thing we can count on with these S107's is that there's so many clones out there every one is a bit different...
My brother was up for a visit yesterday and I was telling him about the S107 clone/copy situation. He laughed a bit and said on his last trip to China, he and his co-workers were heading to the hotel from the drop off point when they saw a billboard with their latest printer on it. The problem was, the printer hadn't yet been released and the name listed wasn't Lexmark, it was a Chinese brand. They took photos of the billboard and contacted their company with the info.

Six weeks before this trip, the Lexmark engineers had been at the assembly plant finalizing the startup for the new printer and left, knowing the project had a hold on it with a startup date of 8 weeks from then. They had no sooner left the building, than the Chinese manufacturer started production and filled his warehouse with the new printers, almost immediately selling them under his own brand.

Since they had an agreement with this manufacturer, he did end up paying a big fine, to avoid official involvement, but that was because the patent was held outside of China. In a case like the helicopters we are getting, unless the factory is owned by a powerful public official, his relatives or a close friend, nothing would ever be done, in all likelihood.

My brother also warned that just because it has the right board, doesn't mean it's an actual S107 either. In the case of the printers he was dealing with, a large number of them had the correct boards and the only differences were the cartridges and plastic name badges. He said the supplier for their PCBs had struck a side deal with the manufacturer and supplied him with the real deal, until they had time to make a generic version.

Pretty much sounds to me like, unless we walk the package out of the factory doors after watching it be built, we'll never know if we got the real deal... Since I had just ordered 5 in two days off of Amazon, I was pretty disgusted to hear this. Oh well, I should have guessed, knowing what I already knew...
DarkFall is offline Find More Posts by DarkFall
Old Jul 29, 2011, 03:17 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
538 Posts
All so true.

My red "absolutely genuine" S107 for example, didn't turn out to be so quality consistent. Although I 'pampered' it, the battery puffed after 2 flights, usb cable died a couple of flights later, and now I suspect the main motors failing as well, the thing is gutless even with a nano-tech lipo conversion.

My best performing micro heli out of 5 is actually the first one I ever had, a so called 'Koome K007'. Bought in a shopping center, no parts available.
rebuild with a S107 rotor, custom made fiberglass body. Cut down blades from another unknown brand. It has the 2-speed button and lights on/off switch as well.
Still hauls around with original battery.

This blue S107, fake or not, will be a close competitor though, given that the durability will not disappoint. Time will tell.