HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2011, 11:40 AM
Paris, France
Joined Sep 2010
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
the quesrtion is... the yellow USB charger does have overcharge protection?
I do not own an S107, but if your USB charger is like that of other toy helis I own, it does not have any overchage protection. During the charging process, the voltage of the LiPo increases (i.e. gets closer to the charging voltage) so the charging current decreases. When the LiPo is fully charged, the charging current is below some threshold which makes the LED go red. If you disconnect the USB charger as soon as the LED goes red, you are fine. If you do not, the LiPo is still slowly charging, until the PCB of the LiPo (a.k.a. PCM, Protection Circuit Module) cuts off the power. Without any PCM attached to the LiPo, forgetting to disconnect the USB charger would overcharge the LiPo, so you must use a timer. But the safer way is to transplant a PCM from an old stock LiPo.
Bombyx is offline Find More Posts by Bombyx
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2011, 11:40 AM
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Apr 2011
112 Posts
Re: Discussion Syma s107 Helicopter

Another glorious flight of the 107 set to music.

Syma S107G Coaxial Helicopter flying to some Metallica zax (3 min 17 sec)

Video on YourTube showing the Syma S107G Coaxial Helicopter flying to some Metallica zax.

As I just said, that music you might (well, are SUPPOSED TO) hear is the song "(Crash Course in) Brain Surgery" by the band Metallica. I really did have some rather serious brain surgery in late-September 2002, so this choise of song is rather appropriate.

This heli is not sound-sensitive; the audio may safely be ignored or even muted if it tees you off.
The_LED_Museum is offline Find More Posts by The_LED_Museum
Last edited by The_LED_Museum; May 01, 2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Changed the video to correct a rather eggregious error in the title sequence. :-O
Old May 01, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
So the tail motor died in my friends S107 & I was putting a new one in. I cut the old wires & was splicing the new wires in when one the blue wire pulled off of the board. So instead of splicing, I soldered the wires from the new motor to the board. I tested out the new motor & nothing happens. The heli lifts but the tail motor still does not work. What else could be wrong? Could it be an issue with the board? Is there an easy way for me to test the tail motor to see if it's good or bad?

Also, I was at my friends last night & used his S032 charger for my S107. It seemed to charge MUCH faster than when using the supplied usb cord. Is there any reason why I shouldn't get an S032 charger to use with my S107? Thanks.
Raticus is offline Find More Posts by Raticus
Last edited by Raticus; May 01, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old May 01, 2011, 12:27 PM
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
I was just at Xheli.com looking at spare parts and noticed they now offer complete S107's without the remote or any accessories for $9.00. http://www.xheli.com/part-s107-wholeheli-red.html The description states "This Model S107 is for replacement parts only, it is a whole helicopter with all the parts need to fix up your broken S107. It's perfect way to save money on parts that everything you needed is include here with the most popular parts like:

Parts List:
Canopy
Metal Frame
Main Blades
Balance Bar
Connect Buckle
Tail Decoration
Tail Blade
Landing Gear
Main Gear Set
Tail Boom
Inner Shaft
Main Shaft
Main Motor
Tail Motor
Receiver Board w/ gyro
3.7V Replacement Lipo Battery
Main Blade Grip Set"

The picture shows a complete S107. It seems to me that if a person already has a remote and charger, then this would be a less expensive way to get more S107's, though the description states it's for parts only. Does anyone know anything about this, is there any reason these can't be bought & flown instead of parted out?
Raticus is offline Find More Posts by Raticus
Old May 01, 2011, 06:31 PM
Joined Apr 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raticus View Post
I was just at Xheli.com looking at spare parts and noticed they now offer complete S107's without the remote or any accessories for $9.00. http://www.xheli.com/part-s107-wholeheli-red.html The description states "This Model S107 is for replacement parts only, it is a whole helicopter with all the parts need to fix up your broken S107. It's perfect way to save money on parts that everything you needed is include here with the most popular parts like:

Parts List:
Canopy
Metal Frame
Main Blades
Balance Bar
Connect Buckle
Tail Decoration
Tail Blade
Landing Gear
Main Gear Set
Tail Boom
Inner Shaft
Main Shaft
Main Motor
Tail Motor
Receiver Board w/ gyro
3.7V Replacement Lipo Battery
Main Blade Grip Set"

The picture shows a complete S107. It seems to me that if a person already has a remote and charger, then this would be a less expensive way to get more S107's, though the description states it's for parts only. Does anyone know anything about this, is there any reason these can't be bought & flown instead of parted out?
I saw that and was actually also wondering the same exact thing.
rizzo1722 is offline Find More Posts by rizzo1722
Old May 01, 2011, 06:39 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Who can say? Perhaps a returned S107 with a diagnosed problem plus the spare part needed to fix it, add your own labor.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old May 01, 2011, 06:51 PM
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined Jul 2009
92 Posts
Some vids of me practicing my landings.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30252834@N03/5677375427/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30252834@N03/5677938704/
eviljack is offline Find More Posts by eviljack
Old May 01, 2011, 06:56 PM
Joined May 2011
73 Posts
They sell 1 S107 - 20$

Its damaged so they get it back and send Another S107.
Fix the broken one 2~6$ and resell it for parts for 9$.

Its seems profitable.
HeliAddict107 is offline Find More Posts by HeliAddict107
Last edited by HeliAddict107; May 01, 2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old May 01, 2011, 07:16 PM
Joined May 2011
73 Posts
Can someone tell me if the LEDs on the S107 can be shut down without having to cut the wires?

What is your opinion on S107 vs S110?
Old May 02, 2011, 04:22 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliAddict107 View Post
They sell 1 S107 - 20$

Its damaged so they get it back and send Another S107.
Fix the broken one 2~6$ and resell it for parts for 9$.

Its seems profitable.
However, it's a short banquet: Shipping eats their lunch, customer disapproval eyes the dinner.

I mean it- if somebody sold "Only Syma Chinooks" at barely over cost, and supported them to the NINES, they would REALLY be "winning".

As far as I'm concerned, the Syma s107 is Game Over.
Not doing anything about the rampant cloning has cost a GREAT machine its Status, I'll likely never purchase another.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old May 02, 2011, 05:05 AM
Joined May 2011
73 Posts
I was inlove with the Syma 107 until..

I saw the NE 260A Soar and the NE Solo Pro v2.
Old May 02, 2011, 07:56 AM
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Apr 2011
112 Posts
Re: Discussion Syma s107 Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliAddict107 View Post
Can someone tell me if the LEDs on the S107 can be shut down without having to cut the wires?
I don't believe it is possible to deactivate the LEDs in this heli without physically cutting them out; however since I have not disembowelled mine, I do not know this with absolute, positive, 100% certainty.
The_LED_Museum is offline Find More Posts by The_LED_Museum
Old May 02, 2011, 02:25 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,456 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is no way to turn off the LED other than snipping wires.

But the 107 can be flown in almost any configuration. I have three and fly them from pure stock to having an 808 #11 strapped on, to flying without a tail boom and motor. Of course the boom-less has no forward control other than how far forward you set the battery. The one below is crazy fast, and flies for about 12 minutes if I take her easy.

Cyberdactyl is online now Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Old May 02, 2011, 04:10 PM
Joined May 2011
73 Posts
The last one pretty much just Hovers right?

Up/down and Spin :P
Old May 02, 2011, 05:07 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,456 Posts
Yes, up and down and turns. But no backwards or hovering, but it flies forward very fast.

I had the battery even further forward, but it was insane, just too fast for me to react in the limited space of my house. Plus, you kind of need a 'runway' to take off. Usually I set it on a table and let the gyro get oriented, then I pick it up and launch by hand and catch it when done. It will sharpen your reflexes, believe me!
Cyberdactyl is online now Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl