HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:57 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Got the good 'ol S107 out!

I couldn't wait until the morning! I had to grab my flashlight, and make the daring voyage to the storage room which can only be accessed in the backyard at the rear end of the house. I had no trouble finding the brown shipping box the S107's carry box was in. I felt like I was one of those characters in the horror movies unearthing a vampire's coffin in the midst of the night.

OK...back to reality. I wanted to compare how the S107 flew next to my mCX2. I won't go into a long ramble but I must say that I have gained new respect for the "humble" S107.

I had forgotten how stable, and precise this heli really is. I mean I can make it go forward straight as an arrow which sometimes isn't as apparent with the "hobby grade" Blade model. I mean, the mCX2 is very stable, but it seems to "wander" more, and one does need to be more mindful of the sticks than the 107.

Syma S107G vs Blade mCX2. Who will "win"?

The connection from the Syma IR transmitter is nearly as crisp, and solid as the DX6i is to the mCX2, and that's no joke! And when I think that I paid just under $17 shipped from XHeli during last year's "Black Friday" sale, I have to smile.

Now, I have taken a liking to the 4 channel mode 2 control setup, but while flying the S107, I didn't feel a lack for the aileron function. It just seemed natural. It was smooth, and responsive.

Bottom line, I will continue to like my Blade helis, but won't forget my first "love" in RC helicopters, the Syma S107.

Likes about the S107:

Cheap
Super stable, precise, smooth
Tough as nails
Decent parts availability

Dislikes

Takes "forever" to charge.

Happy flying
Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Last edited by edwong3; Apr 20, 2011 at 11:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:01 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
The S107 doesn't have a moving swashplate, so it's natural for it to be more stable in the air.

I think it's pretty clever the way they obtain movement on 3ch helis.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:37 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
I couldn't wait until the morning! I had to grab my flashlight, and make the daring voyage to the storage room which can only be accessed in the backyard at the rear end of the house. I had no trouble finding the brown shipping box the S107's carry box was in. I felt like I was one of those characters in the horror movies unearthing a vampire's coffin in the midst of the night.

OK...back to reality. I wanted to compare how the S107 flew next to my mCX2. I won't go into a long ramble but I must say that I have gained new respect for the "humble" S107.

I had forgotten how stable, and precise this heli really is. I mean I can make it go forward straight as an arrow which sometimes isn't as apparent with the "hobby grade" Blade model. I mean, the mCX2 is very stable, but it seems to "wander" more, and one does need to be more mindful of the sticks than the 107.

Syma S107G vs Blade mCX2. Who will "win"?

The connection from the Syma IR transmitter is nearly as crisp, and solid as the DX6i is to the mCX2, and that's no joke! And when I think that I paid just under $17 shipped from XHeli during last year's "Black Friday" sale, I have to smile.

Now, I have taken a liking to the 4 channel mode 2 control setup, but while flying the S107, I didn't feel a lack for the aileron function. It just seemed natural. It was smooth, and responsive.

Bottom line, I will continue to like my Blade helis, but won't forget my first "love" in RC helicopters, the Syma S107.

Likes about the S107:

Cheap
Super stable, precise, smooth
Tough as nails
Decent parts availability

Dislikes

Takes "forever to charge".

Happy flying
Ed
Well, this all just means the mCX2 is 'training and teaching' you a lot more for the progress in the lines of the socalled hobby grade helis than the (kind of "unreal") S107 [I got 2 myself] ever will - like constantly working the sticks (and so on ...) ...

E2
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:44 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
No worries there erdnuckel2! My 120SR really gives me a "workout" on the sticks, especially when it's a little breezy outside.

But the S107 is just simple, I guess.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Well, this all just means the mCX2 is 'training and teaching' you a lot more for the progress in the lines of the socalled hobby grade helis than the (kind of "unreal") S107 [I got 2 myself] ever will - like constantly working the sticks (and so on ...) ...

E2
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:02 AM
Glowsticker
Las Vegas Henderson, Nevada, United States
Joined Aug 2004
103 Posts
I got an R12 board in my red S107G from Amazon (seller: Battery Superstore).
Thus far it seems to be the real deal, no glitches and stable flight.

I seem to have found a good balance between aesthetics and flight time/speed. I removed the metal weight stuck to the flashing LED's tape, the tail struts and fins, chopped a little of the canopy, and removed 1 screw from each landing gear leg. Overall, this provides ample forward speed and still looks like a heli, not an ugly floating microchip in a skeleton.

I left all metal plates intact.

The R12 isn't that new, but there is very little info I could find on it. Any reason there were so many revisions? R5 straight to 12? I hope my heli is real anyway...
Will403536 is offline Find More Posts by Will403536
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:50 AM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I stand corrected on the "terminology" but charging from the "wall" with a USB connection is faster than plugging/charging from the PC. This has already been discussed and proven. Not by me of course.

Mike.
Not in my experience. It basically takes the same time to charge up my S107s with the supplied USB charger regardless if I plug the USB charger into my PC or into an USB AC charger that plugs into the wall.

If both sources are supplying 5.00 volts to the USB charger, then it doesn't know any difference, and will charge the battery exactly the same regardless of the power source.

Maybe whoever claims there's a big difference has a PC with only a 100 mA USB port instead of a 500 mA port. Or, if they do have 500 mA USB ports on their computer, then maybe the battery (larger than a 150 mAh Li-Po) they are using is wanting more than 500 mA during some part of the charge cycle, and in that case the wall USB AC charger is able to supply more like 1 amp max.

In any case, I see no real difference with the helis I have. I use to always use my PC, but then bought a couple of AC USB chargers to take the risk of frying my PC's USB ports.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Last edited by Hayabusa Heli; Apr 21, 2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:53 AM
Want heli used electonics
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob23 View Post
has anyone seen the likes of this bird?~??!?!
Could you take a good photo of the circuit boards for us?
michaelstoops is offline Find More Posts by michaelstoops
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:00 AM
Joined Apr 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob23 View Post
this isnt a "why is it different" it's a
"wha huh? anyone else?" where can I buy THIS ONE again... vs my other 3 s107s since its 2x as fast/agile
The last 3 s107 helis I bought from Amazon, LLC had the pink and green motors and are faster than the R5 version I got from a different vendor. Two of these s107 clones were red and one was yellow.
heathisler is offline Find More Posts by heathisler
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:04 AM
Want heli used electonics
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Internet: (n) The 21st century's go-to source for misinformation.
michaelstoops is offline Find More Posts by michaelstoops
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:41 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelstoops View Post
I'm getting data off the partitions except the main one via KNOPPIX. Windows rescue disk is completely useless, Acronis Disk Director thinks I don't have any hard drives at all. Any suggestions on other tools to try?
pm'd you on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will403536 View Post
The R12 isn't that new, but there is very little info I could find on it. Any reason there were so many revisions? R5 straight to 12? I hope my heli is real anyway...
just as real as all our "clones"
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:01 AM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Some of the difference in board revisions may simply been to accomodate changes in some of the components on the board as suppliers changed them out for equivalents. The actual schematic and circuit may vary little, with just a change in parts layout and thus PBC traces.

The most significant factor might be microcontroller firmware changes, if any.

All I know is that my R5 and R12 fly the same, so I ignore the board rev.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:34 PM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
I am still waiting on motors to try the R3 board. Waiting on shipping is the worst part of this hobby.
RCHeli11 is offline Find More Posts by RCHeli11
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
3 Posts
S107 Tail prop not working

The tail prop is not workign on my s107 after my son crashed it. every now and then it will move momentarily then not work again. any suggestions?

Thanks
Azaze is offline Find More Posts by Azaze
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:41 PM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
pm'd you on that
I was reading that some people made a cleanroom out of their bathrooms, although am not sure if that really works. Cleanrooms "Class 100" are expensive. I never tried to switch platters to an identical HDD, but I would be interested to do some experiments on that one day..
RCHeli11 is offline Find More Posts by RCHeli11
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:46 PM
Glowsticker
Las Vegas Henderson, Nevada, United States
Joined Aug 2004
103 Posts
OK I'm having an issue with charging:

(This is via USB using included cable) After 45+ minutes, the charger's red LED does not come on automatically. It only appears if I wiggle the USB adapter in the port on my computer. Sometimes I can wiggle it a little, and the red LED will glow faintly, oscillate in brightness, and slowly fade. Other times, if I push hard, it will stay bright red.

I know it's not a connectivity issue because all my other USB devices work on that specific port. Also, the heli is obv getting charge because I can fly it for like 7+ minutes after I manually terminate charging by timing instead of waiting for the LED to come on.

Also, when the heli isn't plugged in, the red LED is red (as it should be) and does NOT change/fade/oscillate at all no matter how hard I wiggle the adapter in the port. I only get this weird behavior when the heli is plugged in and charging.

Battery issue?
Will403536 is offline Find More Posts by Will403536