SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2011, 03:27 PM
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Apr 2011
112 Posts
Re: Discussion Syma S107 Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
Wonder about the results with anything deep red or infra-red though?
Unfortunately, I do not have this type of radiation source at my disposal, so I am not able to test this any more than I already have.
The_LED_Museum is offline Find More Posts by The_LED_Museum
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2011, 03:48 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_LED_Museum View Post
Unfortunately, I do not have this type of radiation source at my disposal, so I am not able to test this any more than I already have.
You might find that even a decent-powered red LED flashlight can "drop" the bird out of the air. Maybe even a white incandescent flashlight in the "eye" would do it handily.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Apr 17, 2011, 03:58 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,637 Posts
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:55 PM
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Apr 2011
112 Posts
Re: Discussion Syma S107 Helicopter

Quote:
You might find that even a decent-powered red LED flashlight can "drop" the bird out of the air. Maybe even a white incandescent flashlight in the "eye" would do it handily.
BINGO!!!

Syma S107G R/C Coaxial Helicopter vs. SureFire M2 Centurion (0 min 55 sec)

A video of the SureFire M2 Centurion successfully bringing down the Syma S107G R/C Coaxial Helicopter.
The flashlight indeed swatted this bug the first time it fell; the second was me letting go of the controller so I could get the camera shut down.
I verified that the flashlight was responsible by shooting a second segment; the Syma does indeed go down when irradiated in this fashion.

I also tried a red LED flashlight (the strongest one I have; it uses an array of 12 red LEDs emitting at a peak of 640nm) and was not able to nock this bird out of the air with it -- not even at near-point blank range.
The_LED_Museum is offline Find More Posts by The_LED_Museum
Last edited by The_LED_Museum; Apr 17, 2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Replaced the video.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:35 AM
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined Jul 2009
92 Posts
Hey guys. Just recently got a s107 as a b-day gift. I absolulty love it. Been wanting a three channel for a while now. One thing, I just now found out about proper battery break in and operation. I totally did not follow those guide lines. Have I already ruined my battery, or will proper use from now on still help in the long run?

On the topic of interference. I can't fly it in the living room as my LCD flat screen causes control issues. Also a friend of mine was trying to photo graph it hovering with his nintendo 3ds. Every time he tried it would drop out of the hover. Found out the 3ds has a infared focus for the camera.
eviljack is offline Find More Posts by eviljack
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:09 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_LED_Museum View Post
I also tried a red LED flashlight (the strongest one I have; it uses an array of 12 red LEDs emitting at a peak of 640nm) and was not able to nock this bird out of the air with it -- not even at near-point blank range.
I guess this makes sense. The phototrasistor probably has a good visible light filter molded into it. So regular LEDs, while far from monochromatic have steep output peaks at one or a very few colors, making the IR receiver fairly blind to them.

Not so for incandescent emitters which are quite broadband and "warm" into the IR spectrum.

All bets are off regarding "white LEDs" which of course are not white at all, but blue to near ultraviolet covered by a mix of phosphors that fluoresce in response. Even with that phosphor mix they're probably too cool/blue to be seen strongly by the heli's phototransistor.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:51 AM
Joined Dec 2010
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljack View Post
Hey guys. Just recently got a s107 as a b-day gift. I absolulty love it. Been wanting a three channel for a while now. One thing, I just now found out about proper battery break in and operation. I totally did not follow those guide lines. Have I already ruined my battery, or will proper use from now on still help in the long run?
Not necessarily, though from the sounds of things you didn't do it any favors either. So that you don't end up grounded for a long period of time, it might be worth ordering a couple replacement lipos as a precaution. Replacing the lipo is a quick and easy fix if you have one on hand, but it's frustrating if you're dead in the water waiting on the slow boat from Hong Kong.
onemanswarm is offline Find More Posts by onemanswarm
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:12 AM
Joined Dec 2010
94 Posts
Lubrication - Best Practices

I've read many posts on the subject of lubricating the S-107, but there seems to be little agreement on best practices. I offer the following questions in the hope that we can come to consensus and offer recommendations.

1. Best brand of lubricant to use?
2. S-107 Parts/Locations requiring attention?
3. Special Instructions?
onemanswarm is offline Find More Posts by onemanswarm
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:24 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanswarm View Post
I've read many posts on the subject of lubricating the S-107, but there seems to be little agreement on best practices.
My suspicion is just don't.

I have 2 S107Gs with over 100 flights on each and I have never gunked them with any lube. If something so simple gave a manufacturer an edge they'd be lubing these things during asembly.

I really believe this whole topic stems from people who get bored with flying and want to tinker. If you really need to fix something move to a hobby-scale heli, which will break giving you something to fix just by looking at it.

Or buy a model heli to assemble.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong about this, and then I'd have the same questions myself about what, where, and how to lube. Right now I think people are trying to make a hobby where none exists though.

Happy flying.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:42 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljack View Post
Have I already ruined my battery, or will proper use from now on still help in the long run?
if you can still get at least a 5 min flight with some lift power leftover than the lipo is still fine, otherwise you know the answer... if you get another lipo avoid 240s and stick with 150mah since they are more than plenty for these birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanswarm View Post
I've read many posts on the subject of lubricating the S-107, but there seems to be little agreement on best practices. I offer the following questions in the hope that we can come to consensus and offer recommendations.

1. Best brand of lubricant to use?
2. S-107 Parts/Locations requiring attention?
3. Special Instructions?
silicone based if you feel the need, only thing that needs some lubrication is the internal shaft that is if you wipe it clean which is what i did when trying to straighten it out from being bent, use only a very thin film, i just used olive oil.

too many times i hear people going crazy with lube and shortly thereafter their bird breaks down or have all sorts of other issues.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:43 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
My suspicion is just don't.

I have 2 S107Gs with over 100 flights on each and I have never gunked them with any lube. If something so simple gave a manufacturer an edge they'd be lubing these things during asembly.

I really believe this whole topic stems from people who get bored with flying and want to tinker. If you really need to fix something move to a hobby-scale heli, which will break giving you something to fix just by looking at it.

Or buy a model heli to assemble.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong about this, and then I'd have the same questions myself about what, where, and how to lube. Right now I think people are trying to make a hobby where none exists thoug
agree 100%
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:07 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,637 Posts
I've been using Break Free CLP (developed for and approved by the DoD). I use it on my S107, V4 and mcX. But, that is me so, I won't beat a dead horse as to how many people have tried it and loved it. BTW, CLP= Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative. Anything else is just a dirt collector IMHO.

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I've been using Break Free CLP (developed for and approved by the DoD). I use it on my S107, V4 and mcX. But, that is me so, I won't beat a dead horse as to how many people have tried it and loved it. BTW, CLP= Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative. Anything else is just a dirt collector IMHO.

Mike.
Is it silicon based? Where do you buy it from?
RCHeli11 is offline Find More Posts by RCHeli11
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
Help vibrations!!!

hi, i dont know if this has been asked before but im a bit of a noob. I have recently purchesed my syma s107 and have flown it a couple of times but it seams to have a lot of vibration. i have had a good look at the gears and they seem to be meshing ok but there is a bit of play and the rota shaft moves up and down slightly.

if anyone can help ill be most grateful i'd be most grateful.
hedheed is offline Find More Posts by hedheed
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:14 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Quick question..

If i replace the battery in the S107.. the "board" atached to it has to be kept or the protection of the battery is done by the helicopter main board?

I was going (while i order some replacement from ebay or something) to add a battery socket so i can use the small 1S batts i have for other micro planes i have arround.. but seeing that board makes me fear it may be unprotected..
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi