HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2011, 05:17 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHeli11 View Post
Just got the s107R3 replacement PCB. My s107 originally came with an R5.

Is the wiring on the R3 exactly the same on the R5 or they are quite different? I think the LEDs on the R3 go on the same side as the other, unlike the R5, which goes ont he back of it.. Any one has a pic of how things should be soldered on the R3 board? I dont really care about the LEDs, mostly the battery/motors as far as where each wire has to go.
this should help you out

http://www.killbuckets.com/S107_coptertopsy3.JPG

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...00&postcount=4
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:51 PM
Want heli used electonics
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Quote:
Michael, do you happen to have this for the r3 or are they exactly the same?
Sorry. Haven't actually got my hands on a R3.

I have a heli on order, due next week, fulfilled by Amazon. I'm really, really interested to find out if it's a R3, R5, R12, or a counterfeit like Phil Ritchie, Lakerelia and others have gotten.

Michael
michaelstoops is offline Find More Posts by michaelstoops
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:21 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,319 Posts
Quote:
Finally got the stock s107 to hover still after adding the 240mah battery. Since this one has to stay 100% stock, I did not do much at all, so final weight is about 40 grams.
So... a S107 with a 240mA batt and the nose weight removed should weight and perform as good as the stock , only with longer flight duration?
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:10 PM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
So... a S107 with a 240mA batt and the nose weight removed should weight and perform as good as the stock , only with longer flight duration?
That statement seems to be the case, yes.

I have got some really interesting ideas on the second s107, which would undergo more weight reduction techniques, but still as close to stock as I can. I expect the other one to be around 37 or 38 with the 240mah battery.
RCHeli11 is offline Find More Posts by RCHeli11
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:17 PM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelstoops View Post
Sorry. Haven't actually got my hands on a R3.

I have a heli on order, due next week, fulfilled by Amazon. I'm really, really interested to find out if it's a R3, R5, R12, or a counterfeit like Phil Ritchie, Lakerelia and others have gotten.

Michael
Well since I just got 2 R3 boards this morning, I might put the other one for sale, since the second s107 seems to be holding fine so far, so I will probably not need the second R3 board. I read that there is better performance and flying characteristics with the R3 board, so I shall find out. Funny they still have these boards, its dating as of 2009..

I had to solder the rear motor on the R5 board last night, it was NOT easy. Its hair thin that wire, I think I got lucky soldering it lol.. I then re-soldered the 240mah battery wires and they are rock solid now.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Thanks but none of these pics show clearly which wire goes where for the R3 board.. I am gonna take a look at the R5 and compare them, they should be the same...I hope.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 02:20 AM
Want heli used electonics
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Quote:
Thanks but none of these pics show clearly which wire goes where for the R3 board.. I am gonna take a look at the R5 and compare them, they should be the same...I hope.
I think if you look at my diagram it should make sense which wires have to go on which labeled terminals. The two main motors are connected to VCC and their ground connection goes through M1 and M2 solder terminals. M3 is the tail rotor, and both leads go into the solder terminals. The battery goes into VCC and GND.

Michael
michaelstoops is offline Find More Posts by michaelstoops
Old Apr 16, 2011, 06:55 AM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
I just wish the PCB had a rudder-trim pot. Then using the same Tx with multiple S107s would mean not fine-tuning whenever I switch helis.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:37 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
don't see why not just follow the color differentiation on the wires, thats what they are there for and i doubt they changed them since R3
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:12 PM
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Apr 2011
112 Posts
Re: Discussion Syma S107 Helicopter

Syma S107G R/C Heli vs. Wicked Lasers Arctic laser (2 min 32 sec)

A video of the Wicked Lasers Spyder 3 Arctic G2 445nm 1W Blue Diode Laser attempting to nock Syma S107G R/C Coaxial Helicopter out of the air.
You can guess who wins...if you guessed "the laser" then WRONG SOONG! WRONG SOONG!!...er...uh...I mean, "You guessed incorrectly!"

Even with over 700mW of laser radiation at ~440nm in the royal blue part of the spectrum falling directly onto the heli's sensor, nothing at all untoward happened to it!

In the first part of the video, a lens was used on the laser to widen its beam; the lens was not used in the second part after nothing exciting happened. And even without the lens, nothing exciting happened. :-/

That music you might hear is the song "The Call of Ktulu" by Metallica. This heli is not sound-sensitive; the audio may safely be ignored or even muted if it pisses you off.
The_LED_Museum is offline Find More Posts by The_LED_Museum
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:29 AM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelstoops View Post
I think if you look at my diagram it should make sense which wires have to go on which labeled terminals. The two main motors are connected to VCC and their ground connection goes through M1 and M2 solder terminals. M3 is the tail rotor, and both leads go into the solder terminals. The battery goes into VCC and GND.

Michael
Seem like exactly as the R5 board. Only difference I seem to notice is that the LEDs go on the back of the R5 board, where as they go on the same side for the R3 board.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:46 AM
Joined Apr 2011
112 Posts

Syma S107G R/C Coaxial Helicopter vs. Wicked Lasers Pulsar™ Red Laser (2 min 9 sec)

A video of the Wicked Lasers Pulsarô Red Laser Module attempting to nock the Syma S107G R/C Coaxial Helicopter out of the air.

Guess who wins? If you guessed "the laser" then WRONG SOONG! WRONG SOONG!! {from the Star Trek: TNG episode "Brothers}...er...uh...I mean, "You guessed incorrectly!"

Even with over 100mW of laser radiation at 661.350nm (spectrographically measured) in the red part of the spectrum falling directly onto the heli's sensor, nothing at all untoward happened to it!

In the first part of the video, a lens was used on the laser to widen its beam; the lens was not used in the second part after nothing exciting happened. And even without the lens, nothing exciting happened. :-/

That music you might hear is the song "Techno Pop" by Kraftwerk. This heli is not sound-sensitive; the audio may safely be ignored or even muted if it pisses you off.

This shows that the sensor is either:

1: Only sensitive to fluctuating signals, not steady-state ones.
or
2: Sensitive to radiation only in the NIR region of the spectrum; probably within a range of 900nm to 940nm.
Last edited by The_LED_Museum; Apr 17, 2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Added a bit of info. about a phrase I used.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:38 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,482 Posts
^^^^
What happens when you direct the laser beam directly at the TX signal?

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:33 PM
Joined Apr 2011
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
^^^^
What happens when you direct the laser beam directly at the TX signal?

Mike.
Good morning Mike,

Nothing *AT ALL* would happen if the laser were directed at the TX signal. Let me go and verify this for myself...BBS...ok, even with full power (>700mW {or "0.7 watt"}) at near point blank range of the TX LEDs, nothing at all happened.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:39 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Wonder about the results with anything deep red or infra-red though?
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT